Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How baggy is too baggy?..................

Poster: A snowHead
Following on from jb1970's thread I thought that I would ask how baggy is too baggy? I kind of expect a difference of opinion here between those that board and those that ski Laughing

The potentially 'big' problem Laughing is my wonderful orange ski gear - as sported at this years EoSB. It would be fair to say that I am now not the woman I was Toofy Grin How big is too big on your frame, and does gear that is too big affect the technical qualities that the gear is supposed to exhibit. Does big gear have any advantage (she asks hopefully)? The trouble is I can't justify or afford new gear without good reason (and probably not even then), would you notice if someone was skiing in gear that was too big and would it embarassing if you were with them?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

would you notice if someone was skiing in gear that was too big

No.

Quote:

would it embarassing if you were with them.

No. Are you really the kind of shallow person who would be embarassed by what your companions were wearing? Tut, I am disappointed.

If your kit doesn't fit you, eBay it and get some more with the proceeds. I can say from experience that trousers which are too big don't keep you very warm.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

I can say from experience that trousers which are too big don't keep you very warm.

Lizzard, joking apart that's the sort of obervation that is useful - thanks!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Trousers which are too large are also rather uncomfortable, as they tend to slip off your waist down to your hips.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
And (god forbid) you end up sliding head first.. they might end up round your ankles.... Shocked

Seriously though, couldn't you just change the trousers? I wouldn't have thought a too-large jacket would be so much of an issue.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I like to keep it 'street' as much as the next perpetually-twenty-one-year-old. But even I had to admit defeat when my last set of pants and jacket made me look like the Michelin Man after six months on the Weight Gain 2000 program.

STOP CLAIMING THAT A 42" WAIST IS 'MEDIUM', OAKLEY.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Helen Beaumont, don't they have belts in Durham?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Trousers which are too large are also rather uncomfortable, as they tend to slip off your waist down to your hips.

But what if they START OFF below buttock level Toofy Grin ???????? Can anybody tell me:

- how you keep them (and jeans) at that level without them coming down completely??
- how you continue to jib in the park when your lower back/upper buttock area is blue with the cold??
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
mountainaddict, how they keep them at that level has perpetually mystified me. When I see the look being worn in the street here in London I am impishly tempted to march past, smack the offender on the back of the head and then run. There is no way anyone with jeans cinched below their butt cheeks can run fast enough to catch me Toofy Grin
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Zero-G, I always just want to pull them down! Toofy Grin

Megamum, I'd say too big is better than too small in the trouser region. Just don't be tempted to wear tight fuchia (sorry Zero-G) trousers with a very small bikini top Shocked it would have been reasonalble if the person in question was a decent skier - but she gave the guys I was with a thrill! Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
too small is when you cant show off the nice male camel-toe when going for a switch 3...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The slipping off the waist thing isn't too much of a problem - they are salopettes with elastic braces.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I ski with a few people who I'm embarrassed to be with - nothing to do with their gear though... Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
too baggy??? Is there such a thing? I have to bend down to reach the cargo pockets on my trousers Laughing
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Jerry, he feeling's entirely mutual! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
the_doc wrote:
too small is when you cant show off the nice male camel-toe when going for a switch 3...

Laughing

I just got that, forgot skiers go switch as well, not a nice image.
latest report
Sharkykeeeee!, Awright dood ? You're one of the cooler blokes I have skied with. (Not difficult, I admit Wink)

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 22-10-08 23:02; edited 1 time in total
snow report
If it's too baggy, yer too old Twisted Evil
latest report
pollittcl wrote:
Just don't be tempted to wear tight fuchia (sorry Zero-G) trousers with a very small bikini top
No offense taken, I have resigned myself to the fact I will take flack for that jacket rolling eyes But I'm tough, so bring it on Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Megamum, "I am now not the woman I was".
Have you reset your ski bindings (DIN)? wink
snow report
"Baggy" is too baggy, though I suspect there are very few people that can get away with "tight".
latest report
Baggy is good, although not when taken to the extreme of the majority of people at Newschoolers. Not entirely sure why you'd ever want to be worrying about your trousers falling down while you're skiing Confused

Tight, well...Kramer (iirc) on EoSB fartbag day was a good example of why tight isn't a good thing Wink
ski holidays
Megamum wrote:
Following on from jb1970's thread I thought that I would ask how baggy is too baggy? I kind of expect a difference of opinion here between those that board and those that ski Laughing

The potentially 'big' problem Laughing is my wonderful orange ski gear - as sported at this years EoSB. It would be fair to say that I am now not the woman I was Toofy Grin How big is too big on your frame, and does gear that is too big affect the technical qualities that the gear is supposed to exhibit. Does big gear have any advantage (she asks hopefully)? The trouble is I can't justify or afford new gear without good reason (and probably not even then), would you notice if someone was skiing in gear that was too big and would it embarassing if you were with them?

Baggy is not to bad an idea. The slack just allows more moverability when going down hill or off piste. Just choose a size which sensible and not to baggy because that can be hazardous to
snow conditions
The gear's bright orange...............size is the least of your problems...
ski holidays
Kruisler, Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Megamum wrote:
The slipping off the waist thing isn't too much of a problem - they are salopettes with elastic braces.

You might want a belt anyway, baggy = drafty when it comes to waistlines!! I'm "suffering" the same problem and have gone for a belt instead of new trousers but will be getting a new jacket...mainly because the current one is so great at waterproofing that it has become my everyday coat for striding to the station in the rain (and because I'm a girly and it's four years since I had a new one and I WANT one!!)
ski holidays
Megamum, FWIW, the jacket I was wearing at the EoSB is way to big for me & always has been (I just really wanted it when I saw it in the shop) & it's snuggly warm - I was worried that it might be a bit draughty but it's fine. I do tend to prefer baggy jackets in everyday life, though, so that probably affects how I feel about my skiwear. I don't like to ski in pants that are too baggy, though - I feel that they're flapping round my legs & it puts me off. And as Lizzard says, they are not so warm (although depending on the weather, that might not be such a bad thing!) IME, no-one will mind what you look like! Or perhaps people have always been too polite to say things to my face... Toofy Grin

But if you do decide on new stuff, remember, TK Maxx is your friend!
ski holidays
mark_s wrote:
Tight, well...Kramer (iirc) on EoSB fartbag day was a good example of why tight isn't a good thing Wink

But surely vetski on fartbag day was a good example of why it is! wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jo225, Horses for courses Toofy Grin
snow conditions
maybe the baggy thing came from skateboarding, I used to wear my trousers so low skateboarding because when you fall on a hand rail it slightly protects your nuts on the rail.
ski holidays
Jo225, TKMAXX was my friend with the current gear LOL. Also, yes, Vetski gave tight a new meaning didn't she?, although perhaps not quite n the same as Kramer did Laughing

stab, I probably don't need low trousers for the same reason Laughing

Kruisler, I've seen brighter oranges!!!! In my defence the predominant colour of the jacket - for those that haven't seen the combo is actually black!! Though the sallies are slightly knock your eye out I grant you. LOL

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 24-10-08 18:30; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Megamum, I'm having the same problem. Having tried on nearly every jacket on the Snow and Rock stand, I couldn't make my mind up between a 'fitted' size 10 or a baggy size 12. I think you have to be comfortable. The 'high end' jackets are very tailored and don't feel particularly comfortable.
latest report
I don't like having baggy ski clothes. My hard shell is a small which is pretty close fitting but my trousers are fairly loose.
ski holidays
chris, In all seriousness given that I am so much less than the woman I was, I had also considered the DIN setting issue, however, I think I made such good progress in VT that the increase in expertise = >DIN probably balances the weight loss = <DIN - at the moment I was going to leave at 5
latest report
Megamum, the boots got looser.
snow report
Megamum, Maybe buy some braces ? . . . But personally I would buy new gear; you can get a Trespass jacket in TKMax for £30 and I've seen D2B salopettes for £24 - so £54 for an outfit and then ebay your old gear. I probably wouldn't have even considered the DIN setting, but I don't have my own skis (yet).
latest report
Megamum, I think I'd agree with *IncogSkiSno*. After all that weight loss, you deserve a bit of a treat and the new you needs a new outfit... don't you think?
snow conditions
Megamum, save the money and get new boots.
snow report
Megamum, I think 5 is about right for (the new) you.
snow conditions
Megamum, you must know what size you now are and what size your existing clothes are. If you are a 12 and everything you own is a 14, you need new stuff. If you are likely to drop another size, buy something cheap and temporary. eBay any surplus.

I'm sure you know all this already.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy