Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Best of Tignes & Espace Killy

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I'm travelling to Tignes for the last week in April with my wife, we are both confident (slightly inexperienced) intermediates. Comfortable on reds, not quite brave enough on the blacks yet. Its obviously massively early to be worrying about the trip, but work is slow, and I'm excited nonetheless - I guess the anticipation is half the fun!

I was hoping to get some tips to ensure we experience the best if the region, in particular the best blue-red piste. We travelled to 3 Valleys last year, and for what its worth, and for those who know that area, we probably enjoyed the likes of Combes Vallon & Saulire, Creux, Jerusalem, Grand Lac, 3 Marches the most (amoung the many many others which I've forgotten!).

Also, if anyone has any thougts on April skiing in the region (i.e. whats the snow like? whats the best time of day to catch the best conditions in particular areas?) that would be really great.

Thanks. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts....
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you know some German, you'll find lots of information on the following links(both from end april- beginnig may 2006 and 2007). If you don't, you can still enjoy the pics, and dream about being there already:

2006: http://alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=16395

2007: http://alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=21839

Note that 2007 had a very warm April, and still there was plenty of skiing available.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
shagsa, Welcome to snowHeads snowHead
If you see a black sign for Epaule du Charvet then ignore it Shocked You should spend some time up as far as the glacier above Fornelet. The snow should be good up there. For a first lift blast there is no better warm up than shredding the corduroy of the blues from the Palafour and Gratalu lifts, or from the Aeroski bubble down towards Val D'Isere.

My rule is ski any snow if there has been an overnight fall, then south facing and/or lower slopes as they soften the quickest, moving into the shaded pistes as the day progresses. First lift up, ski as long as you can and finish when it gets too soft.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Frosty, where is Fornelet?! maybe le Fornet at the top of the Val d`Isere valley? Double M from the top of the Grande Motte is a wicked intermediate descent and on the Tignes side.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Alpaka Lodge, I am currently suffering from occaissional bouts of anagramitis. Hopefully the cooling temperatures will see this problem ease. Embarassed
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
A few snorty moths, I like the word anagramitis Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Know that feeling frosty, gets worse later at night!! See you this winter here?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
What the feck am I supposed to do with a J, O, N & an M rolling eyes
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
monj on , snow eater!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Alpaka Lodge, Sadly not next season. We were there mid January but didn't have the guts to call in and say hello. It was tough time for you all there having just lost your friend and colleague Crying or Very sad , and I wouldn't have had the heart to ask for my snowHead beer discount.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Alpaka Lodge, Woof, Woof NehNeh
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Stewart Woodward, twiglets and crumpets please, woof woof
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Alpaka Lodge wrote:
Stewart Woodward, twiglets and crumpets please, woof woof

Pork pies Puzzled woof
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for the welcome and advice Frosty and Bart, I'll find a translator and have a sift through it - I'm getting itchy just looking at those pics. I've only been skiing for a few weeks, but I've definitely caught the bug. How was the snow in Tignes last season ('07-'0Cool?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
shagsa wrote:
Thanks for the welcome and advice Frosty and Bart, I'll find a translator and have a sift through it - I'm getting itchy just looking at those pics. I've only been skiing for a few weeks, but I've definitely caught the bug. How was the snow in Tignes last season ('07-'0Cool?

awesome Laughing Laughing You could still ski into the village late May/early June if you had the strength to walk up the mountain.
snow report
Thats great, we're arriving 18 April, so hopefully it should be OK...
ski holidays
Quote:

How was the snow in Tignes last season ('07-'0?

Further to the stewart woodward reply, the snow was amazing at the start of the season too Very Happy - ages to dig the car out on the first weekend of December....and deserted powder runs above Val D'Isere. Happy days.....

Just about the whole area will be open into April. Based on the 3 Vallees runs you liked, my advice would be to just about ski anywhere and everywhere. You're gonna love it!! NehNeh stewart woodward,
snow report
shagsa wrote:

Last season the snow was very good till late in the season (see the following report of March 2008:)

http://alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=27418

The week of 18-25 April should be fine. As Frostyman says the trick is to start on the sunny slopes and then gradually move to more shady areas which will be slower to soften up. Later in the afternoon you can move to the glacier where you will still find excellent snow the whole day.
snow report
shagsa, welcome to snowheads

Frosty speaks true words....

Double M red- down from glacier at Tigns- fantastic ty to do it in one- no stopping snow always good

Gratalou- blue - tighten down those boots and go for it

The to Val D'Isere from Aeroski- great psites

Up the fast chair (forgotten namebegins with a B) down the green then Santons blue (bit tricky at the bottom)

Up Solaise cahir lift

Then either up the hill then over to le Fornet side

or down the hill then up the fats chair half way to le fornet

Either way get yourselves to the Edelwiese restaurant (just above le Fornet cable car station- ut only accessible by piste/ski) for lunch....yum yum yum yum....
latest report
edsilva wrote:
shagsa, welcome to snowheads

Up the fast chair (forgotten namebegins with a B) down the green then Santons blue (bit tricky at the bottom)

borsat express
ski holidays
shagsa wrote:

Try clicking here for last season's snow reports wink
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=31142
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy