Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Camcorders

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I'm looking to get a camcorder to film skiing but am a complete newcomer to the camcorder market. I was wondering if anyone has any advice they can share about which format and specific models I should take a look at, or which I should definately avoid!
Looking to spend up to about £350, and needs to be mac compatible.
Thanks for any help.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Can't help on current models etc however...

make sure you get a camcorder with a viewfinder as there are quite a few about at the mo' with no viewfinder and the screens are almost invisible in snowy environments...

As to Mac compatibility I have hooked various camcorders up to my Macbook Pro via firewire - never had any issues..

Hope that helps..
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Get one with image stabilisation if you intend filming whilst skiing to eliminate jerkiness when viewing later. Most Sony cameras seem to have this facility.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
jimp_85, if you are going to edit your video with a Mac I'd go with a miniDV camcorder (these are tape based, rather than hard disc). Any of the model with a firewire port from the well-known brands is likely to be compatible with a Mac, so perhaps choose one on price and size. A good site for independent reviews of camcorders is this one. I use an old Sony camcorder (PC109) which seems to work well.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I was in the same position at the start of this year, in the end I got a Sony HDR HC3E. This is mini DV tape.
The main reason was, after much research, that mini dv is still the professionals choice and is a damn site easier to edit on a PC or Mac.
I went for HD as I have HD television and intend to buy a blue ray DVD at some point in the near future.

Editing in HD is demanding on a PC to say the least, but its a lot easier with mini dv tape as you dont have to have a massive amount of hard drive storage, you can edit the final version back on to tape if you want.

As a guide if you choose to stay with your existing apple cack, sorry Mac Laughing and edit in normals dv mode you may find things a bit slow on the processing speed, unless you have one of the latest Macs, this is because the Macs were good for graphics applications but pretty crap for any form of video Sad .
If you decide on going down the HD route then you will need to have at least 3-4gb ram and change the graphics card to one that has its own processor to help with the main 'puter processor when its running flat out at rendering your footage.

I upgraded my pc, which is a pentium 4 3.2ghz , so that it now has 4gb ram plus a new ATI radeon sapphire HD graphics processor and also stuck in another 200gb hard drive purely for output and working, that way the main hard drive is simply running the programme and all the finished work is output on to a seperate drive, this makes for very fast editing, otherwise you end up with the hard drive accessing various parts of its disk to work on the files as well as try to save the finished work on the same disk.
In HD editing its definately better with 2 hard drives, whether you choose to set them up in RAID mode is up to you.

Bit long winded I know but its just what my time consuming research found out.

If you get a hard drive camera, ie no tape, then its better to get the camera with best quality image and also the biggest hard drive you can afford, because once its full you need to empty the files on to your computer and that might not be possible when you are on holiday.

Video Tape is still used as the main format for Film and Television so it must be still worth using. Get Mini DV I dont think you can go wrong.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I was advised to get a hard drive cam pn the basis that theres less moving parts to get damaged if you take a tumble with it, apparently they're a bit more rugged . . . i havent tested that theory though lol
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
why not get a helmet cam package

http://www.actioncameras.co.uk/Ski_Package_.html
http://www.actioncameras.co.uk/Archos_Helmet_Camera_Packages.html

As for HDD cams I saw an add fo rcurries or PCWorld at the weekend that had loads on good deals on them, so might be worth a look. one of the good things about the finanical meltdown...cheap gadget offers.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
They're all Mac compatible, so no worries there. What Mac have you got?
Sony consumer camcorders have always been a safe bet, but perhaps not the cheapest option. I still use MiniDV format, which is reliable and provides high quality uncompressed footage. Import via Firewire to a Mac is a doddle. After importing you can either re-use the tapes or keep them as a source back-up (which is what I do). Hard disk camcorders are another option, but there is more compression and I'm not convinced about the long term durability of a portable hard disk. There are some solid state drives around too, but generally a lot more expensive. Although I haven't looked at them for over a year, so they may be cheaper now.

I also use a helmet cam, so AV in and LANC ports were a necessity for me. Not many current consumer camcorders still have these ports, so that's something to consider if you want the option of a helmet cam.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sony consumer camcorders have always been a safe bet, but perhaps not the cheapest option. I still use MiniDV format, which is reliable and provides high quality uncompressed footage. Import via Firewire to a Mac is a doddle. After importing you can either re-use the tapes or keep them as a source back-up (which is what I do). Hard disk camcorders are another option, but there is more compression and I'm not convinced about the long term durability of a portable hard disk. There are some solid state drives around too, but generally a lot more expensive. Although I haven't looked at them for over a year, so they may be cheaper now.

I also use a helmet cam, so AV in and LANC ports were a necessity for me. Not many current consumer camcorders still have these ports, so that's something to consider if you want the option of a helmet cam.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads

ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sorry, I thought it was a new game.

Very Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
snobunni, hard-drive based camcorders have at least the same, even more moving parts, that require much more precision to operate correctly. How do you think the hard-drive spins? HDDs operate within very fine tolerances at very high speeds with very small parts.

Required features are MiniDV-based; Firewire In/Out, SVideo In/Out (for helmet/bullet cameras), viewfinder (LCD screens aren't much use on very sunny days). In the price bracket MiniDV gives far superior quality than the HDD or card-based options - always record at the highest quality you can, and then downgrade it later.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
hyweljenkins, it's AV in/out for helmet cams, not SVideo:

http://www.sport-cam.co.uk/compatible%20cameras.asp
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I bought a little Xacti last season. It was small and compact and worked well in Feb '07 in Val Thoren. I was so pleased with it I have now gone for the HD version. It takes SD cards which is great for me because they are cheap, I can use them with my still camera and there are no moving parts. Will be going to Jackson Hole this year so wanted an HD one to play in glorious technicolour! It also has image stabilization and a "face chaser" feature tht identifies a face and focuses on that. I am so pleased with my purchase and found it to be excellent value for money.

http://www.sanyodigital.com/hd700.aspx

Seems to work ok on the Mac - http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=6198368

I found it ok without a view finder in bright snowy conditions- I didn't want to hump loads of kit around on the piste with me. This fitted inside my jacket pocket and was ideal for me- I am not a cinematographer, I just wanted to have a keepsake. I also didn't want to wonder into crowded bars and leave it sitting around!

I was able to take the poles in both hands, use the trigger-like Xacti in the spare hand, skiing along side my girlfriend down a number of pistes- quite easily as a good-ish intermediate skier. I am not sure, but I would imagine I would have struggled with a large camcorder!

£200-250 ish so within budget. Use the remainder to buy a spare battery. You will find that in the cold the battery life will drop- even more so with any camera that has moving parts.

Although I use a PC it was fun to edit the clips to music and so simple to transfer over. I have used my Xacti for skiing, grand canon helicopter trips, Paris- all sorts of places where I can shove it in my pocket and not worry about taking a bag around with me. I figured if I had to do that I wouldn't use it as much.

The helmet cams look like fun but most of the ones I have seen at the price you are looking for do not seem to produce good results- the "Jack Osborne adrenelin junky" ones are a lot more expensive!

Anyone else got any thoughts? Best of luck!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If you prefer a camcorder that records to a memory card (SD in this case) check out the Canon HF100 Vixia (HD video). Good quality, easy to transfer. Just realised this is probably out of price range .
Go for a decent miniDV one, sonys are always good. should be a lot of choices for that price, especially if you stay with SD
the helmet cams are generally pretty bad - and always too low a resolution for my liking
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy