Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BASI - "If" you are good enough - you will pass - if not ??

Poster: A snowHead
Snowshark - I don't know that you can say PSIA has a set pathway.... it has a number of different pathways and standards.... each region has different standards and exams... some require a race component (nastar Gold in Rocky mountain) the rest do not.... etc etc etc
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
slikedges wrote:
I wouldn't bet on the BASI team in a ski-off with the ESF.
Neither would I bet on a ski-off between BASI v an Austrian ski instructor team. Yes some Austrian ski instructors are part-time (e.g. bricklayers) but that doesn't stop one of them going on to win four overall World Cup titles, two Olympic gold medals, three World Championship titles and 53 races in the World Cup.

While English kids are kicking footballs about, Americans are playing a version of netball / rounders, Canadians are flicking pucks around, the Germans are eating sausages, the French are eating croissants, the Dutch are being weird and "smoking a fat one", many Austrian kids are racing each other down the ski slopes. Toofy Grin
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
skisimon wrote:
...members of BASI and CSIA appear to adopt better teaching practices than the French ski instructors I have come across (though maybe they were just thinking, 'Not another British punter...' and turned off slightly; I hope not though). ...

And that is just exactly what many French instructors do seem to be thinking, if true an indictment of their attitude. Also many of the people in ski/boot shops - you describe your experience being careful to neither overstate nor understate and they give you some early intermediate fodder, you say you need a little better and they huffily offer you race department gs skis and plug boots instead.

DB, you're not biased in any way towards Austria, are you? wink
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Seeing as the topic has wandered slightly into the realms of willy waving.......

Those interested in the various capabilities of instructors from each member nation, could do worse than to obtain a copy of the Interski 2007 video. There you have the very best instructors (not racers) from each nation, and you can judge for yourselves their skiing demonstration abilities!

It's very telling.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
veeeight, save us the trouble. What does it tell (or, rather, what do you see)?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
veeeight, i thought the very first post set the tone for willy waving Laughing
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Is it me, or do the Italians have a new take on ski poles ....

http://youtube.com/v/GFUilTqFf_I
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
laundryman wrote:
Do you really want to know? Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
veeeight, yeah but.... The BASI demo team had a few ex olympians on it and most if not all of the demo team were ex racers. I recon the demos team from all nations will be mainly racers as they are the best skiers... The stronger the national teams are the better teh demos i would imagine.. But as usual you will throw something out like you do and see which way the wind blows wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
laundryman wrote:

Laughing No, nothing sinister! Just very interesting to observe the nationalistic differences, one quick example would be that certain nations advocate inclination, whilst others really concentrate on angulation in the first part of the turns, some concentrate on creating seperation at the hip, some concentrate this higher up the spine.

And (dons tin hat) - considering BASI's theme for the congress was "Flow" - their demos certainly didn't reflect that........
Embarassed As a skiing demonstration, it was pretty static skiing Embarassed
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
veeeight wrote:
Seeing as the topic has wandered slightly into the realms of willy waving.......

Those interested in the various capabilities of instructors from each member nation, could do worse than to obtain a copy of the Interski 2007 video. There you have the very best instructors (not racers) from each nation, and you can judge for yourselves their skiing demonstration abilities!

It's very telling.

You're not kidding ....

http://youtube.com/v/g0UnzJqjZ3Y&feature=related
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
veeeight, Have you a link for that ?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
veeeight, thanks.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
david@mediacopy wrote:

I'll see if I can upload something over the weekend.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Cheers Very Happy
ski holidays
Looking back, when I passed my Grade 1 in 1992, and before that there was no doubt that the vast majority of BASI Grade 1's (I include myslef) were not good enough to have passed the National level of French, Austrian or Italian ski teachers. Now that's all changed, and it makes me very proud to see British ski teachers who are as good as them. In the 18 years I've been in France I've seen a huge sea-change in the attitude of the French towards our instructors, now having much more respect on the whole. Of course there are always some who think we shouldn't be there - but that's individuals, and they exist in every country in every profession.

The advantages of working in a resort where you see a lot of instructors from different countries, and also French courses being held are huge - so many different ideas to learn from. What is a shame IMV is that the entry level qualifications no longer carry the words 'assistant' or 'apprentice' which they probably still should.

If working abroad, however, the key is to learn the language. I know a couple of Brits here who have never really learnt French, and they have a lot more trouble on the mountain than I ever did! It also helps to admit you're not as good a skier as them!! Very Happy
ski holidays
BUMP I missed this thread at the time, was in Tignes and have just stumbled across it.

veeeight wrote:
david@mediacopy wrote:

I'll see if I can upload something over the weekend.

I would like to see this Interski 2007 video as well. How do you get it and david@mediacopy is this what you wanted to see as well?

skimottaret wrote:
veeeight, so he was just cr*p then Laughing Musta gave the BASI trainer a bung, it happens i guess. one good skier and great teacher in my grade 3 failed cause his seperation was poor, yet his central theme was top of the class. But, one bird who skied like a truck driver mananged a pass....

Laughing Laughing skied like a truck driver! LMAO Laughing When did you do your Grade 3?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy