Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Ski Jacket

Poster: A snowHead
Just bought a new ski jacket (small size) - it seems to fit perfectly, although I am going to try it on with all my layers. Would it be better to order a medium size too to see how that fits? - I can always send it back.

What do I have to look for when buying a new ski jacket - so I know that it fits me correctly?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
the only things i check for apart from general fit and feel is that with arms stretched out theres going to be no gap between glove and cuff and likewise arms lifted up that your waist is exposed..I don't tend to wear many layers so thats not really a consideration
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
get a decent base layer and you don't need to wear lots of layers.

what jacket did you get?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
jb1970, why don't you decide after you've tried it on with all your layers? BTW, how many is "all my layers"?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
jb1970, you, a gay man, are asking for sartorial advice from a bunch of (largely self-confessed) porky middle-aged straight blokes? What's the matter with you? Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Lizzard, well put.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
hyweljenkins wrote:
jb1970, why don't you decide after you've tried it on with all your layers? BTW, how many is "all my layers"?

I am sitting here with it on now and have tried various base layers/layers on top of the jacket.

thermals, t-shirt, polo neck, top thingy from M & S - jacket seems to fit well over all of this.

thermals, t-shirt, polo neck/top thing (different from the one in M & S, body warmer - jacket seems to fit well over all of this too.

I am sort of pointing my elbows out to see if the jacket stretches at all (there seems to be a bit of slack just at the back near where it meets the armpits) I am also putting my arms in the air (just as well I have my blinds closed!!)

All seems fine - just better not put on any more weight!!

Its a Dare2be ski jacket - red, white and black, black Dare2be salopettes and Black, White and Red Nordica Speedmachine boots (boots bought ages ago) - all colour co-ordinated now!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Lizzard wrote:
jb1970, you, a gay man, are asking for sartorial advice from a bunch of (largely self-confessed) porky middle-aged straight blokes? What's the matter with you? Laughing Laughing Laughing

I know, but even us gay men have to ask the "others" as painful and out of character as that can be. To be honest, we already know the answer(s) but ask anyway, so you straight boys don't feel left out! wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My technique is to get as close a fit as possible that would not hamper climbing movements. It's the stretch across the shoulders that generally limits the size. As a non lardy (oh the shame) I often find unnecessary amounts of fabric flapping around my belly. I suppose I could always wear a drinks bladder low and to the front... perhaps I could fit in then Puzzled
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
jb1970 wrote:
.....Its a Dare2be ski jacket - red, white and black, black Dare2be salopettes and Black, White and Red Nordica Speedmachine boots (boots bought ages ago) - all colour co-ordinated now!

That combo is sooo 2007 wink
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:
That combo is sooo 2007 wink

I seem to remember that being said about my orange and brown set up 3 seasons ago Madeye-Smiley ..................... Apart from it was
a different year obviously.

Its great geting new gear aint' it Blush
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jb1970, what a lot of layers! I just wear thermals and a micro fleece under a jacket.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
jb1970,
Quote:
thermals, t-shirt, polo neck, top thingy from M & S - jacket seems to fit well over all of this

Four layers + the jacket - are you nuts? Get better quality layers. At most I ski with a plain old tshirt, a fleece and a jacket, but usually in just a tshirt and jacket. Even in Banff (~-20C excl. windchill) I got through quite comfortably like this.

Thermals are so gay.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
OMG.... jb1970, !!!!!

Please dont ask advice when you get some new ski pants, i dread to think what you wear under them ! Shocked
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
hyweljenkins, well put
latest report
Libertine, couldn't be anything worse than the low-slung-trouser-wearing Italian I saw this summer who was sporting a thong. I was traumatised - I will never complain about visible boxer shorts again. Laughing
ski holidays
jb1970, photo please wink
ski holidays
Lizzard, ha ha, i saw the same in les arcs with white boxers... well, there was a hint of brown (i think they are known as "skid marks") !!! YUK !

I vowed to keep my belt securely tightened at all times.....
ski holidays
Libertine wrote:
OMG.... jb1970, !!!!!

Please dont ask advice when you get some new ski pants, i dread to think what you wear under them ! Shocked

I wear M & S thermals underneath my salopettes.
ski holidays
jb1970 wrote:
......Its a Dare2be ski jacket - red, white and black......

Which one? I've been liking the look of the Pro Cub (in the fox colour) but when I actually tried one on it seemed a bit short and rode up the waist when raising my arms.
snow report
Jeraff, don't tell him that!! wink
snow report
I have seen that Dare2be jacket in TK Maxx they also have with Black as the main colour. I'd take it back, there are some better ones coming.
snow report
Libertine, How do you know they have better ones coming in? Genuine question. I bought a jacket in Tkmaxx 10 days ago and am still deciding whether or not to keep it. I have 4 more days to decide.
snow conditions
Jeraff wrote:
jb1970 wrote:
......Its a Dare2be ski jacket - red, white and black......

Which one? I've been liking the look of the Pro Cub (in the fox colour) but when I actually tried one on it seemed a bit short and rode up the waist when raising my arms.

Its the Dare2be Ski Club one in red/black/white - matches my red/black and white ski boots - they'll be calling me the "Coca-Cola Zero" man!!!
snow report
jb1970, Not sure where you got yours but if it helps I'm pretty sure Tkmaxx are doing that one at £35. If its the one I'm thinking of it's isotex 5000? The pro club one I looked at is higher spec at isotex 8000 for £50.
latest report
jb1970, I think we need photos please Very Happy
ski holidays
hyweljenkins wrote:
jb1970,
Quote:
thermals, t-shirt, polo neck, top thingy from M & S - jacket seems to fit well over all of this

Four layers + the jacket - are you nuts? Get better quality layers. At most I ski with a plain old tshirt, a fleece and a jacket, but usually in just a tshirt and jacket. Even in Banff (~-20C excl. windchill) I got through quite comfortably like this.

Thermals are so gay.

The only time I have worn more than a T shirt under my ski jacket was in Canada, where I did wear thermals Embarassed

I usually used to put a fleecy jumper in my pack, but I have never actually found the need to put it on, so I've stopped bothering.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy