Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Heli-skiing out of La Rosiere

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,
has anyone done any heliskiing out of La Rosiere? If so, who did you use, and were they any good?
Thanks.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snow_gibbon, doesn't matter who you use, either ESF or EVO2. I prefer to use the ESF because I know their instructors better but it doesn't make any difference they use the same helis, take off from the same location and ski the same routes.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I don't want to be a pedant, but surely it's heliskiing out of La Thuile? wink
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
You can depart from France as long as you;re deposited in Italy, I beleive? Alternatively you can hike up yourself and ski down and be picked up by helicopter
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Steve Sparks, you are a pedant it's heli skiing from the Espace San Bernardo, the ski area of both La Rosiere and La Thuile.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
David L, I appreciate that La Rosiere is shangri-la but is it also the only place in France where you can heliski?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
David L, do you know how many people they pack in a helicopter, and what sort of standard the punters usually are?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Steve Sparks, you can go from our side the the valley (Les Arcs) too - again into Italy, with instructors from Spirit1950

See http://www.heliski-savoie.com/helimountains-en/helimountain-les-arcs-uk.php - Mike Bennett runs 2 choppers from a base on the elbow of the road between 1950 and 2000.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
snow_gibbon, I haven't made it upto the Rutor and it has been one of the things I wanted to do...so I don't know the operation but I would expect it to go something like this.
You make contact with a guide or school..and that should be quite easy to source in the village... and the guide will ask you want you want to do. You probably could tell him where you want to go, and he will help you decide what is feasible. A typical will take 3 pax as it is likely to be a 4 seater to include the driver wink so there will be a minimum of 2 lifts. But on a ghood day, I would expect the heli to be working all morning. I doubt it will be allowed to pick-up or set-down on the French side.

The guide will want a pretty good idea of what you can ski..but he is likely to pick a cautious route unless he knows differently. I would expect the route to be a popular pitch with a few adveturous bits for you to remember.
A competent fit skier is the entry level IMV.. able to link turns in marginal snow. You don't want to be falling over too much as this will tire you out too quickly. Be straight with the guide and he will advise you and take you somewhere memorable. When we have dictated the route... the skiing has been less than memorable, so let him decide. He wants a good day out as well...with the minimum of problems and as good a ski as poss.

Tip... get a weather forcast the 1st day in resort and pick the likely best day that week. Have in mind that helis fly only in good conditions so keep talking to the Heli guys about the best days. I would think you be lifted up onto the Rutor and end up in the valley of St Foy.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
having seen them from a distance as we were boot packing, it did look pretty stunning! However we did manage to ski this without a heli and minimum walking out....

ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I got the Val Cenis brochure last week. It's in the Maurienne valley, and they offer hel-skiing too. Presume it's the same cross-border hop principle.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
kitenski wrote:
having seen them from a distance as we were boot packing, it did look pretty stunning!......

It sure does.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
What I can't understand is why anyone would want to ski out of La Rosiere....... Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
So is it worth it, would you say? Or am I better off saving my heliski dollar for the AK trip that might never come???
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I have for over 10 years heliskiing out of the Petit San Bernardo pass .
Normally do one small drop on the north side on the Miravide and then onto the Rutor glacier with the long 17km run , 2200m vertical down to La Miroir near Ste Foy to finish off ,lunch at Chez marie, you can also ski from the Rutor down to the other heli operation at Valgrisenche , a vallley with two heli's ,several peaks over 3400ms and no lifts just glaciers .Google it .

remember instrustors officaly cannot drop clients onto a glacier only high Mountain Guides , contact in the area
http://www.tarentaise-tours.com/en/sports-holidays-tarentaise/off-piste-skiing-heliskiing-ski-mountaineering/heliskiing.html
they are the best in the valley.

by the way the cover this year is fantastic and you will not regret doing it .
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy