Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

TK Maxx - Ski clothing sale started

Poster: A snowHead
holidayloverxx wrote:
Jo225, I liked my farbag too Embarassed

holidayloverxx, no blushes! Retro & proud Toofy Grin

(I've got a pair of stretchy soft black salopettes as well, even more retro... & they're nice too Very Happy )
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
OK, this is it. Could be worse, don't you think? (She enquired, hopefully...)
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hurtle, lime green poles? With that suit?? What were you thinking??? Laughing

Seriously, you look absolutely fine - are you warm & snug & comfortable? Then that's all that matters... as I'm sure you are aware snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Jo225, I adored those poles, they matched my first pair of skinny Dynastars. Sadly they died earlier this year and now I have boring black poles like everybody else. Sad Actually, I think navy blue with a touch of lime green is a rather classy combo. wink Yes, warm, snug and comfortable, but that's not quite all that matters. wink I am quite fond of it, though, even after all these years and even though fartbags are so passé.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hurtle wrote:
I am quite fond of it, though, even after all these years and even though fartbags are so passé.

"fartbags are passé" is passé. Witness: Oakley Storm, burton ronin, analog tactic, L1 mean machine

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 30-10-08 1:29; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
comprex, do many of those unsurpassably ugly things get sold/worn? Shocked
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hurtle, height of newschooler chic ~season and a half ago.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
comprex, well, fancy that. (I don't.)
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hurtle, sartorial standards? In a Tk Maxx thread?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
comprex, so that's a vote of no confidence in my fartbag, then? Crying or Very sad
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hurtle, sorry, Embarassed ask someone young enough be one of the current style setting generation perhaps?

You might have to register over here tho.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

someone young enough be one of the current style setting generation perhaps?

Well that's not me, wink but I think it looks fine. And there are loads of new ones sold in France every year. They're not all destined to be part of deeply ironic cultural manifestations. They are supremely practical and comfortable until you need to have a pee, especially in a "hole in the ground"....

Don't succumb, Hurtle.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
and what are you doing up at 2 am worrying about it? Laughing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w, thanks! Must admit, I did once have a very nasty experience with a hole in the ground in the Dolomites. I had collected some snow under my boots on the way to said hole, so they were a bit slippery... Shocked Shocked Shocked I skied back to resort very, very fast, despite the fact that it was only the middle of the day, for a major hose-down. Laughing Laughing But generally there's no problem - the secret is: sleeves down the legs (to keep them out of the way) and then, just mind the collar! Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

In answer to your question: -a huge high from an inspiring rehearsal, resulting in insomnia, so caught up with a bit of correspondence and sHs!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quick visit this afternoon to Durham branch while the weather was awful and keeping the chavs in the amusement arcade. Very poor selection of ladies gear, no decent base layers, socks or sallies, a few Surfanic and Trespass jackets. There seemed to be a reasonable selection of kids stuff though. Mens was much better , Lange socks, Leki poles, and a decent selection of googles, although again jackets and sallies weren't that good.
snow report
I dropped into Staines (2 rivers) one today purely for entertainment value - some decent mens socks and base layers (£7), well stocked for hats - goretex gloves for 20 quid. I picked up a couple of prs of salomon socks for a tenner - can't be bad. Seemed to have a resonable selection of jackets and trousers too - although not the sort of brands you'd often find in slush and rubble. I could only find 2 sets of leki poles, both in the wrong lengths. Some 'retro' goggles too, all of which looked like they'd fog in 3 seconds. Still if you ever have 'chav' as the fancy dress theme then that's the place to go - lots of trackies/pants & gold chains all for buttons...

On another note - what is it with eyeties and holes in the ground - I go sailing (racing) quite often in riva del garda on lake garda, gorgeous place, great sailing and food. Lovely club house which had the changing rooms re-done 3/4 years ago BUT they put holes in the ground in. Why o why - it's just not relaxing where you're having your morning constitutional - and the ladies changing rooms got proper sit-downs..
snow report
bertie bassett, The Staines branch of TK Maxx... words fail me.... Crying or Very sad
snow report
red 27 wrote:
bertie bassett, The Staines branch of TK Maxx... words fail me.... Crying or Very sad
hey it's only round the corner from waterstones which is what I was really going for to pickup a copy of 'white weekends'
ski holidays
bertie bassett, yeah, right... wink
latest report
red 27 wrote:
bertie bassett, yeah, right... wink
Wasn't really going to fess up to going looking for a mankini to wearing skiing though was I..
snow report
Nottingham has 2 branches and both had nothing I wanted. Ladies socks were all tubes and the thermals looked nasty - although there were some made of bamboo Puzzled which I would have taken a punt on if they had had my size. Jackets were all the cheaper brands. £90 - £160 or so full price so cheap at TK Maxx. But those are the ones I can afford but don't want Evil or Very Mad . Why don't they have the gorgeous ones that are in S & R or Ellis Brig which are £300 - £400? Now if they took 60% off those, I might be tempted Cool ,
snow report
Do they do thermal knickers?
latest report
maggi wrote:
thermals looked nasty - although there were some made of bamboo Puzzled which I would have taken a punt on if they had had my size. J

'trekmate' ones? I got some of those, they're great but the sizing is bobbins - worth a 'punt' - I got medium, but would probably veer towards 's' or 'xs' for a proper fit!
snow report
kittya, I was looking for small. I am an English size 10. Would I need XS?
snow conditions
maggi wrote:
kittya, I was looking for small. I am an English size 10. Would I need XS?

definitely Smile
ski holidays
kittya, thanks! Although they didn't have any of those either ..... rolling eyes Laughing
snow report
maggi wrote:
kittya, thanks! Although they didn't have any of those either ..... rolling eyes Laughing

I like the ones I have but they are too big. I'll check for littler ones. I'm very average of size so usually struggle with anything in the 'bargain' departments. It seems to be only very smalls or very larges get the good stuff cheaply...

I'll have a look again at our local branch, if they have little ones will let you know Smile
snow conditions
We bought new salopettes for the boys yesterday (thankfully, last year's jackets still fit) - Maier and Saltrock. Seem pretty good quality, and each around £20. We've had lots of ski wear from TK over the years and you do have to root about a bit but it's often worth it
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Went to the halifax branch - no top end stuff. The new Tresspass range looks good but everything seems to have a heavy linning I just want a new Gortex shell.
snow conditions
York branch the same story - apart from a few pairs of decent socks that I snapped up. All the clothing was either two seasons old or ridiculously bulky.

maggi, I saw the bamboo base layers too - was intrigued...are they any good?
snow report
FastEddie, Apparently Bamboo wicks well, dries quickly, is odourless, really soft and warm. I ve a few Bamboo T shirts but dont use them for base layers as I prefer merino Smile Be aware though that inferior garments are a cotton/bamboo blend.
latest report
Plenty in @ the Tcky Maxx near me (Handforth Dean between stockport and Wilmslow). 1 full rail of salopettes, 2 of jackets including brand like Nke ACG and Cross. Plentty of men's socks, glove selection a bit limited althoug rob@rar might be interested in the level MotoX style gloves, I seem to remember you prefer that style rob?

Not much in the way of decent socks in the women's dept for MRs NBT, althoug we did pick up a 2 pack from "ROJO" who I've not heard off, they seemto be quite comfortable as Mrs NBT has been wearing them all weekend!
snow report
the central bristol store has new stuff in..I spied womens spyder jackets for 299..also mens a load of Scott goretex and scott own brand shells for 99

interestingly the central branch has ACG shelss for 129 where as the outta town one has the same for 69, so it pays to shop around the branches if you have more then one
snow report
Hubby got some Leki Trigger Titan poles on Friday in Durham for £9.99 . I will keep checking when I pass. I will be calling in to Team Valley Gateshead one sometime soon too, as I always find it has a better selection.
snow report
I got a lovely new coat, even though I didn't really need one. God bless TK Maxx.
snow report
Helen Beaumont, good deal on those Leki poles - I have some and love them.

I've never found anything in my size at TK Maxx, and have in the past always had to order top price kit because of the size issue - very few manufacturers do size 6, and it is usually Killy, Prada, Spyder (expensive!)

I'm tempted to try TK Maxx soon for some new cheap gloves as I trash them quite easily at the Snowdome trying to shovel little kiddies up the rope tow when their little hands aren't strong enough to grip the slippery rope.

Yesterday at the Ski and Board Show I got a top notch Spyder jacket for 40% off (£230), which I think was a good bargain. Not this year's colours, but it goes with my existing Spyder trousers.
ski holidays
We buy the vast majority of our ski wear froml TK, they have a large range at cheap prices. (We go most years and have 4 kids so regularly need to buy new stuff).

Others who replied have pretty well summed up what you need, but I'll add that from my experience hiring ski wear for a week isn't significantly cheaper than buying from somewhere like gotapparel, TK, and remember that a ski coat doesn't just have to be for skiing, it can also be worn for the rest of the winter.

As for general clothing/footwear for when not skiing, simply ask yourself what he would wear tomorrow if it were snowing and he had to nip out somewhere. Nothing special needed, just normal winter clothes.
snow report
Quote:

and remember that a ski coat doesn't just have to be for skiing, it can also be worn for the rest of the winter.

or summer
snow report
One of my oakley jackets is in the same pattern as the oakley storm onesie. it's an awesome pattern.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy