Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How do Volkl 724 EXP's compare to Salomon X-Screams?

Poster: A snowHead
I am new to the forum, so I should start off by saying hello to everyone.

I need new skiis, can't demo any volkl's but did get a chance to demo some Salomon X-Screams (180cm). I found the X-Screams turned a little too quickly for me and started chattering a bit too much over the crud at speed. I would like something that is a bit more stable, with a bit more of a turning radius for longer sweepers, but at the same time I want to be able to use them in bumps.
Has anyone tried Volkl 724 EXP's and Salomon X-screams that can provide some feedback about the differences?
I am 6' and 210lbs.

Thanks for any help,

Dale

P.S. I hope everyone is having a great Christmas day
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to snowHeads easyrider snowHead snowHead snowHead

Had a great Christmas day, as you can tell from the time of this posting - 5am UK.

No doubt you'll get some proper answers in due course.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi Dale,
Welcome to snowHeads!

The 724 is a superior ski to the X-Scream, IMHO.

The X-Scream will make an average skier feel like they are a good skier, by having a massive sweet spot, and being capable of keeping you upright, no matter how bad you ski it. Part of this is achieved by keeping the speed in check. You could fall asleep on them, and they would still make reasonable turns down the mountian.
To sum it up, it's BLAND. Some people like bland, becaust it's like an old pair of slippers, and old slippers are always the same - always comfortable.
I don't go skiing for "comfortable", but for FUN.

The 724 requires a skier to ski it. Stay awake, have fun, push on. That's why I would choose them out of the two.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thank you for the feedback.

How do you think the Volkl 724 EXP's will be in the bumps. Will they feel at home or will I be forcing them to do something they were not designed for?

I am also up in the air about whether to go with 184cm or 177cm? I am used to larger skiis from the old days and was comfortable with bumps using 200cm Olin's, however the new shaped skiis seem to have a different mindset with respect to length.

Thanks,

Dale
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dale, I'm the same height as you, but maybe about 25lb lighter.
My off piste skis are 179cm. My on piste ones which I'm taking to Switzerland on Saturday are 176cm. they are being replaced by 170cm ones. By going shorter, they will be easier to turn in the bumps, but they are also a faster ski.
...but if you need longer skis in an attempt to make up for other inadequacies in your life, then who am I to judge Wink
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
Dale, I'm the same height as you, but maybe about 25lb lighter.
My off piste skis are 179cm. My on piste ones which I'm taking to Switzerland on Saturday are 176cm. they are being replaced by 170cm ones. By going shorter, they will be easier to turn in the bumps, but they are also a faster ski.
...but if you need longer skis in an attempt to make up for other inadequacies in your life, then who am I to judge Wink

Laughing Laughing No need to make up for other inadequacies Laughing Laughing

It sounds like the 177 Volkl will work out well as a nice all around size.

It must be nice to ski in Switzerland. I am not sure how the runs compare to the West Coast Mountains in Canada/North USA but it sounds great.

Have you tried the Volkl Pro, EXP and X-Screams for a comparison in the bumps and all arounder?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
easyrider,

Don't know about the skis but I am interested in getting on Volkl's 724 EXP's.
A good ski buddie swears by his X screams and has just bought a new pair. He knows there are better skis in certain conditions and said that K2 are making great skis that out perform his X screams off-piste. I am thinking of the Apache Recon. But he knows what he wants to ski and he knows what he can ski and that is his choice.
Would you say you ski frontside or backside, and if it is the former I would be looking at the Volkls. I would be interested to know whether the 724 EXP can hack the whole mountain tho'.

My definition of whole mountain would be to hike to the top of a hill and get down whatever is in the way in terms of snow. For this reason the Xscreams are still a very dependable ski. But at 210lbs you may overpower it..!!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
easyrider,

Forgot to say that I last tried the Xscream a couple of seasons ago and they were good in moguls, chopped up snow and on piste. They will not bash through crud but then most skis don't unless you are talking about monster fats. But they aren't a very good day out on the rest of the mountain IMO.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
personally, I love the Volkl 724 EXP (unfortunately Santa didn't bring them Sad ). They are lighter and softer than the 724 Pro, but both went anywhere I wanted to go - mainly groomed, but a few bumps). I can ski the Apache Recon, but it's too heavy for me in the 160 (being a girl) and I can't get it shorter. I've heard a lot of good about the Apache Crossfire though I haven't tried it. I was advised to stay away from the X-Scream since I'm fairly aggressive.?????
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I pick up my 184cm Volkl 724 EXP's in a couple days. Because I am 6' and 210 lbs I wanted a little more ski area compared to the 177 in the Pro which has a wider mid section. The 184cm will give me a bit more stability at speed and it is still small enough for bumps. 10 years ago I used 200cm for bumps and a little ski ballet for fun, 184cm are a cake walk. With the extra technology I get a short ski with long ski performance, I like it!!!

I picked up some skis and boots for both kids today, and my wife picked up a set of Lange CRL80's with some K2 True Luv skis.

With my new Rossignol Bandit Elite 1 boots along with my Volkl 724 EXP skis I officially have a family that is equipped for skiing this year.

I just have to figure out how to pay it off Sad
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
easyrider,

Can we have a frontside, backside review on you new toys then, please..?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
JT wrote:
easyrider,

Can we have a frontside, backside review on you new toys then, please..?

I will definitely give you a review of what ever I can.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I have been reading as many comments on the Volkl 724 EXP as I can find. All this information has thrown up more questions than answers. As comparisons, the now deleted Dynastar Intuitiv 74's appear to have a loyal following as do the X screams and the bandits.
I weigh about 67 kgs, ski in the Alps usually in January (so plenty of ice on piste) and would like some skis that I can improve my off piste technique on.
Various people have varying ideas about ski length and since my height is 165cm and I don't ski flat out in all situations I would welcome your opinions.
Thanks
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Go demo them at Milton Keynes. It won't tell you what they're like in the untamed but I 'm sure piste performance will be impt to you too.

I'm a couple of kilos lighter than you, and while I (like everyone) found the X-Scream Ltd flatteringly easy to ski inattentively, when you pushed on them, nothing pushed back. They chatter even at MK and I think are too soft to hold well on ice or have any fun on at speed.

The 724 EXP was the opposite (for me). They felt strong and fast when going for it and pressing them out, and I'm sure will cut the ice. However, when not trying, I found they wanted to dictate my turn radius to me, and like you I don't ski flat out all the time.

Predictably, it was the B2 that I found the best compromise. So I bought them.

Off piste is a different story but they are all supposedly primarily freeride skis which should help not hinder progress.

Have fun finding out. Very Happy
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
marmotte farcie,

Look at B2 for good off-piste performance but maybe you will have to try them against the 724 to get a direct comparison.

I would expect the 724 to outperform the B2 on-piste but not off-piste and not be as docile. I would prefer the latter, I think.
But as in all things it will only be what you think that matters. And it might be quite hard to find the 724 to demo in the alpes unless you in VD or Chamonix
ski holidays
marmotte farcie, Great name!
ski holidays
Hi, I read with interest the dialog regarding the above mentioned ski. After a season of trying and retrying different skis, I recently purchased the Volkl 724 exps in 177. They were by far the best ski. (IMHO) Here are the skis that I demo'ed while trying to figure out which to buy. K2 Apache Recon. Fantastic powder and crud ski. Great off piste. Too fat for an all mountain ski. Did not hold its edge on the groomers. Shovel had a tendency to chatter on long straight-a-ways. The K2 Apache Crossfire. Did well in the bumps; very soft and forgiving. Not extremely fast or as responsive in quick turns. Atomic Metron b5. Great carver in the groomers. Did fairly well in the crud and powder. Not as agressive or responsive all around. Rossignol Bandit B2. This was a pretty popular one to demo-saw lots of them in the area. This ski was similar to the Crossfire’s. It did its job, but no "wow" factor. I also took a day off of alpine and tried my hand at tele. Tried the Atomic TM22's at 190. Was a lot of fun and challenge...I'll stick with alpine. So, here are the reasons for going with the Volkl 724 exps. Fantastic ski. Extremely fast. Incredibly responsive. Performed in powder and in the crud. Held its edge in long carves and quick to snap in short turns. The ski seems to come alive the more you push them. I ski fairly aggresively and I enjoyed the assertive reply. The only downside was the bumps...not very cushy. I've got the bruises to prove it. Hope this helps. By the way, I am 5'8" and 175lbs. The skis were tested in the SW corner of Colorado.
ski holidays
colo_bkpkr, I'm surprised by your comments about the b5 (everyone here knows they are my favorites!). Which length did you try? I have also found them to be technique-specific. They really like to be pushed.
ski holidays
ssh, I tried the 162's. I would have tried the 172 but they were out that particular day. A friend of mine had the same reaction as you did - incredulous. But, he's the same guy that loves his Crossfire's - I didn't like them at all. Go figure. What length do you ski? And are you about the same build? Have you tried the Volkl exps?
ski holidays
colo_bkpkr, I ski the 162s. I am 180lbs, 6', level 8-9 skier.

I have skied the pre-cursor to the EXP (the AX3/G3), and enjoyed it. It didn't have the liveliness of the Fischer RX8, nor the arcing power of the b5, IMO. I have found the b5 a very powerful ski, a crud-buster, and a ski that responds more the harder I push it...
latest report
Height 5-10
Weight 87 kg
Good skier. All mountain.

Bought 724-EXP in 170, also tried X-Scream, Rossi B2.

724-EXP: ALIVE! Wow these skis are so responsive, they just make you smile all day. The feedback they give in short-snappy turns and long carvers is great. Pushed through the crud just fine. Decent in powder.
X-Scream: no complaints, but they did not have that "alive" feeling. Could have been any modern, decent quality ski.
B2: Why...why are these so popular?? I really did not rate these. They were just way too soft for me. Tips flapping and chattering with any decent speed. OK in short turns, but if I am spending my own ££ I want more than just "ok".

So I bought the 724-EXP, my wife bought the 724-EXS, she loves them.

I can't really talk about how they perform in deep powder because on day 4 of our trip in Utah it DUMPED the powder we had asked for. Waist deep...oh my god!!
So I did the sensible thing and rented some Atomic Sugar Daddies.
Cheating! It really is cheating to ski a powder day on proper fat skis! I had a GREAT day. So I rented the skis for a second day. I had another GREAT day.
So I did the sensible thing and bought the skis! Well, we had just paid for both pairs of Volkls. The ski shop guy said "make me an offer"...so I did, and walked out with the skis (and bindings) for $350 (say £190 or so).
I'll probably only use them a few days a year...but I have no regrets!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy