Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing Timpieces

Poster: A snowHead
I was wondering if anyone out there owns or is aware of a watch designed for the skier? Either high end or slightly more digital.

There are endless diver, pilot, military, driver, etc watch but don't see many skiing timepieces about.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
this would do the trick, in all fairness it would only go down to -20 which could be a problem.

++I just use my phone for the time..

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 20-10-08 12:39; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
What do you want it do do?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
My £14.99 Pulsar has done 6 seasons without any problem. It's really good. It tells me what the time is. wink
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Some people have too much money. Send the watch money to africa and maybe it would feed a family for a year.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
jimmjimm, or to London and we could feed a small group of investment bankers for one night.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
arv, The_Hirsty, The X9i & X10 here: http://www.suunto.com/suunto/Worlds/outdoor/main/Products_main.jsp?JSESSIONID=J0cqL8sCT5YjgQQp4RtThLh2BBN6s0Krw9snyK1jVN1C7PDp96pZ might be better - has GPS. Can accumulate log of positions & heights throughout a day's skiing. Uploadable to PC.
The -20C lower limit would, of course, not be a problem where the watch is worn on the wrist (or if it is a problem it's likely the least of rather more serious problems)
The only downside is you would not be able to leave watch off wrist in order to measure static temperature if it's really cold.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The_Hirsty, I have a Suunto S6 which is designed for snowsports. It records number of descents, vertical distance, changes in barometric pressure, etc. The temperature function is not useful (it gets hot underneath your ski clothes) and you need to calibrate it to a known height each day to account for changes in barometric pressure if you want to get absolute altitude measurements from it. It records all this info which can be downloaded to a PC, but the novelty of this soon wears off! It was a gift, and I'm not sure if I would want to pay the full retail price for this unless I had a specific need to know my altitude at all times.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Anything marketed for climbers should fill your gadget gap. Dive computers in particular are now almost essential in anything beyond recreational diving and calling them a watch rather trivialises their role Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rob@rar, does it tell the time though?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Lizzard, yes it does that as well, plus it has an alarm to wake me up for my porridge with bananas & honey. That was the most useful function. Alas it didn't actually make the porridge, but I understand Suunto are working on that...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've a Nike one which has altimeter, barometer, compass, chronometer, ski-run chronometer, thermometer and a watch. There are normally some going cheap (new) on ebay. I think I paid around £40 about 4 years ago and it's a fun toy, my daughter and I used the the ski-run timer last year for races at ADH from Signal down to Villard Veculas (it stops on set base altitude).
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I wear a Suunto Titanium Observer, which looks like an ordinary watch. the Suunto S6 does a bit more, but it's not something that you'd want to wear every day.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
This is what you need... www.lindewerdelin.com

Not much change from £4k but hey!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The_Hirsty,
http://www.j2ski.com/ski-chat-forum/posts/list/4165.page
wink
Interesting comparison

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Mon 20-10-08 13:05; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Quote:

Alas it didn't actually make the porridge

Tsk, what rubbish. Laughing
snow report
Boredsurfing, Laughing
snow conditions
jimmjimm, some people work for the money. I recently spent £800 on going to New York for 24 hours. Is that wrong?
snow conditions
Boredsurfing, Casting my net wide and all that.
latest report
I got a dirt cheap nurses watch and taped it (in the upside down position) to my rucksack strap. Now all I need to do is glance down.
snow report
Scarpa, I did that with an old Swatch.
snow conditions
Scarpa, I did something similar - I got some cheap dirty nurses to tell me the time.
ski holidays
hyweljenkins wrote:
Scarpa, I did something similar - I got some cheap dirty nurses to tell me the time.

Ah but had you taped them upside down at the time??
snow conditions
so over on j2ski you wanted something less digital, how about the Tissot touch..

http://www.tissot.ch/index_offer.php?c=eu&l=en
ski holidays
swatch snowpass can have ski lift pass data uploaded to it.
snow report
hyweljenkins, I used to crash at Margate nurses home when visiting from my research placement in Canterbury. Damn... those girls could drink Toofy Grin
latest report
Scarpa,
Quote:

I got a dirt cheap nurses watch and taped it

I got a dirt cheap nurse.....................

Damn hyweljenkins, beat me to it. Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
halfhand, Are there any other types Puzzled *ducks*
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
On a more serious note, a Swedish mate found a digital watch on a nurses type fabric sports fob with a velco fastening designed to fit neatly onto a rucksack chest strap for £8. Can she remember the site....??? Can she hell Evil or Very Mad
latest report
Scarpa, You better pray you don't have any accidents on hols Toofy Grin Shocked Toofy Grin
snow report
MarjMJ, Why do you think that I'm so careful. Lots of old college mates are nurses and I once worked in a hospital. Imagine the opportunities for taking the p if I ended up bed-ridden hehehe
latest report
Scarpa, IME they've been cheap or dirty but never both . tin hat please. Toofy Grin
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy