Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Vars/Risoul

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I don't know whether to book the Club Hotel Le Morgan in Risoul or the Club Hotel Franou in Vars. Can anyone give me any advice as to what they have heard about them and which resort is better. Need a cheap hol this year and have found two good deals so eager to book asap.

Thanks

Jo
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Vars has the better skiing, but the Morgan is better located and Risoul has a bit more in the way of bars/restaurants. Haven't been inside either hotel for several seasons, but they are both fairly average TO-run clubhotel standard I would say.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Put off both these resorts in the past due to long transfer times - may be worth checking what they say about the transfer and from which airport.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Transfer to those hotels will be from Turin - takes about three hours if I remember right.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've only been to Risoul, but have been there twice and skied over to Vars a few times. I think that Lizzard has it about spot on, the skiing on the Vars side has the edge, but Risoul is far nicer as a resort I think. But to be honest, you can ski right the way over from Risoul to Vars and vice versa anyway, so the better skiing argument is a bit moot. We probably spend about 50% of our time on each 'side' both times we were out there.

I think transfers from Turin are between 3-3.5 hrs, so it is a trek, but if you're going for a week, then you can kind of bank on spending some time travelling anyway. I wouldn't pick Risoul/Vars for a weekend, but for a week the transfer time isn't a big deal IMO.

Don't know either of the hotels as we stayed in a s/c apartment both times.

I posted a resort report from Risoul here http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewpost.php?p=478206 , although my most recent visit was 05 so I would assume some of the lifts etc. have been updated and so on. Either way, it's a great place for a cheapish holiday with quite lot of terrain that is pretty varied.

Have fun!
D
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Joey, I prefer the Risoul side, contrary to the above, I think Risoul holds its snow better because of the north facing slopes. Some nice sun trap mountain resturants as well.

As Deliaskis, says, its no problem skiing both sides every day depending on which has the better conditions. The risoul side is far nicer town. Hotel fogan is fairly nice, nothing particularly special, but thats reflected in the price.

Both sides have lovely tree lined off piste and one of my favorites for that. Its a good total ski area and Risoul has a couple of decent snow parks.

By coach, transfer is about 3hrs from Marseille. Again, if going for a week, i dont think that should be too much of an issue.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

By coach, transfer is about 3hrs from Marseille

The TO in question flies to Turin. Pay attention. Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Stayed at the Morgan in 2007 with Crystal - rooms were smallish and fairly basic but hey you only sleep in them. The staff were friendly and the food was excellent - although obviously this may change from year to year - not sure who's running it this year. It has a small bar, but didn't have much of a lounge area. 2 min walk to the slopes and pleasant enough town though not big on serious nightlife if that's what you are looking for. The whole Vars/Risoul area is easily accessible quite quickly so don't think this is a major issue. We went with 2 smallish kids and they had lessons with ESF Risoul who were excellent - my other half enjoyed his ESF lessons but mine was rather too challenging and 2/3 of the group had dropped out by Thursday! Transfer from Turin 3-3.5h but fairly scenic and it wasn't as bad as I'd anticipated even with youngsters although ours do travel really well.

I would go back there if I could get a good deal - but generally prefer to try new areas.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Lizzard, "The TO in question flies to Turin. Pay attention. "

The OP does not mention a TO, therefore assumed he may be booking independently which is much cheaper and Marseille flights are often cheaper....... pay attention Toofy Grin

Dr George, I'm like you, i have never been to the same resort twice (accept the odd day) I perefer trying new resorts but I have booked Risoul in Feb 2009 as liked it so much in March this year Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Libertine, they are both clubhotels run by SkiPlan/Equity, no independent bookings.

So ner! Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Embarassed Embarassed

TO's are extortion anyway... so ner Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy