Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

waxing.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
hi all

i'm a waxing virgin (ho ho) and i'm thinking about giving it a lash to save a few sheckels (oh how the credit crunch is hitting me).

i've read up a bit about it and frankly it's not rocket science, does anyone here do their own? if so what product do you tend to use. i was thinking of plumping for an 'all temperature' wax, maybe some Bluebird branded stuff. i'm pretty sure when my board arrived it had a 'factory waxed with bluebird wax' sticker on it.

any thoughts?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ive tried loads of different wax and there hasnt been any noticable difference in any of it
i use an all temp wax nowadays
the texturing i found seems to make a difference using one of them brushes

the best time to wax your board is in the summer when its hot so it goes in the pores on the board easier
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rogg, All-temp wax is fine. I sometimes use a warm or a cold wax if the conditions are extreme, but mostly I stick to all-temp stuff.

Spyderjon's website is very helpful.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
rogg, I use dominator zoom all temp, get it from spyderjon you're right it's dead easy to do yourself.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yeah, do my own now - wouldn't ever take mine to a shop now unless I'm without my waxing gear.

I use DATA wax, which i've found good for the domes. Couldn't find a cheap non-steam iron so ended up getting a small steam iron from esco for about £7, a scraper (a piece of perspex) and I use a stiff scrubbing brush as my structuring brush. All seems to work well.

Just amke sure you put plenty of newspaper down to catch the wax when you're applying and scraping.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
nigel b wrote:
ive tried loads of different wax and there hasnt been any noticable difference in any of it

Yes the temp doesn't seem to make any difference to me either. It still hurts whatever the temp when I do a full brazil. Toofy Grin
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Specialman, Travel irons tend not to be steam and have the advantage that they're small and light so easy(ish) to take with you on holiday.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I bought my iron on ebay. It is a travel iron with a temperature guage to allow me to control the heat. Cost me the massive total of £3.50 including P & P. Not much demand for old travel irons. Modern travel irons all are steam and have the holes which is rubbish.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
What do other people use for waxing?

I've got a gummy stone, iron, scraper and wax. Never needed much more. Does anyone else?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
croskemj wrote:
What do other people use for waxing?

I've got a gummy stone, iron, scraper and wax. Never needed much more. Does anyone else?

A big horse hair oval brush.

I use this absorbent paper stuff from work, dont know what it's called. Splash the wax on the board, iron it in, then iron the paper over the wax and it sucks it all up, saves scraping it and making a mess. Quick blast with the horse hair brush then I slap it on the spinning wheel thing and I'm done, 2 minutes max Smile

I use this wax in spring
http://www.toko.ch/en/productDetail/5509307_v_60/HF+Dibloc+yellow.html

And this one when it's cold
http://www.toko.ch/en/productDetail/5509313_v_60/HF+Dibloc+blue.html
or a mix of the both.

I used to put waxing up there in the list of pointless things to do with a board, like keeping sharp edges, I still dont rate sharp edges as being of any use but waxing, I have to admit, does make a difference. Mine gets waxed now every time I ride.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The difference of good wax is not necessarily that you go faster - that is your choice with a little control - but it is the little things like when you coming to a flat and want to keep going for as long as possible. It is simple physics - less friction will allow you to glide for longer.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
olster, i couldn't find a travel iron for the life of me. Saw one in Boots and it was about the size of a mouse and £30 but that was about all!!

Is there a massive difference between a cheapo iron and a 'proper' waxing iron like those Bakoda ones?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Try ebay for travel irons as there are tons there - just be careful which one you buy with regards to the temperature guage so you really can control it and essentially not burn the wax (ie when it starts smoking).

Never trieda proper waxing iron, although some professional servicers say they are overpriced and don't necessarily do what they are supposed to.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The most common question I’m asked re base tuning concerns what iron to use. Many tuners use a flat base travel iron (without the holes!) without any problems - a mate of mine has a 20yr little Pifco travel iron that is brilliant. However, the majority are not very controllable as their thermostats having very wide ranging tolerances (a tolerance of 50-70C is common) & their thin bases get hot spots. At least it means that the iron keeps going cold & you have to keep waiting for it to reheat or at worst, especially when using hard cold temp waxes, could lead to base burn. The thinner construction of snwoboards, especially over the mounting holes, make them esecially prone to base damage from an over hot iron.

A specifically designed wax iron has a far narrower tolerance thermostat (typically 10-15C at entry level down to just a few degrees for a mega bucks digital job) & a larger base that’s a lot thicker than a conventional iron enabling it to hold a constant & equal temperature. Last season I had about 15 boards & about 3 skis in for repair due to base melt, all of which had been done with a domestic iron.

Simply put a proper wax iron is just way easier & safer to use so it’s up to you to balance the cost/risk/ease equation for yourself.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
But was the melt because it was poorly done and people not moving the iron quickly enough across the base? If you leave you any iron in the same place for too long, you can cause damage.

You are quite right though, you have to be particularly careful around the mounting holes. Also if people forget to either unscrew their bindings either partially or completely, a vaccum is created in the airpocket that makes the holes bulge through the base.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy