Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Espace Killy

Poster: A snowHead
Sorry, can anyone offer an uptodate eyewitness account re: Tignes/Val D snow cover at present?

2 weeks to go before my hol, and ...... yeah, I'm obsessing.

Cheers.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Keeping a close eye myself - we'll be in Tignes from Dec 9th - 15th.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Me too! Planning on being in Val d'Isere from the 12th to the 19th, conditions permitting. Quite fancy seeing the world cup as well.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
From personal experience, even if the snow is rubbish everywhere else, then usually it's ok in l'espace killy.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've been in Tignes over Christmas for the last 4 years and will be there from 11th to 25th this year so I'm paying particular attention to the weather forecasts as well. However, Im sure there's no need to panic as the snow has always been pretty good in my experience, especially on-piste.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Manda, I'll ask my son to make a note of the weather/conditions forecast on Radio Val and give you an update tomorrow am. Incidentally it's a really good station, wide, eclectic even, choice of music and not too many interuptions. By far the best staion in the valley, we tune in to it rather Radio La Rosiere, so when you're in Val, tune in to 96.10FM.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 26-11-04 19:49; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It was very sad last year, the manager of Radio Val was killed in an avalanche in January.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yeah. Same here. A whole gang of us heading to Val d'Isere for a long weekend 9th-13 December. It's been a few years since we made France the destination for our early season ski weekend, favouring Zermatt instead. I've noticed, though, that the best rule this early in the season is to head east. We've got a friend who lives out in Austria and if we'd headed, say to Ishgl, we'd be laughing I think at the moment. Hey ho, it's not to be and like everyone else I'm crossing my fingers for major dumps in the Tarentaise. Some snow and colder temperatures expected this Monday. Mind you, two years back I holidayed in Les Carroz and flew out on Jan 2. After a particularly warm Xmas and New Year there was bug all snow. On the Sautrday we travelled out from the UK it started snowing in the Grand Massif at about 3pm. By the time we arrived at 10pm it was a foot deep and by the time we woke up the next morning for our first day's skiing there was masses or powder. I went from major depression to one of the best powder weeks in the space of 24 hours.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
manda, spoke to my son, not good news, he had dinner last night with a couple of his instructor pals from Val d and Tignes. The snow forecast for today is off, still too warm and wind from the SW. They didn't think it would snow this week at all but the wind is forecast to change direction tomorrow and it will get colder, so fingers crossed. My son has been charged with keeping us informed of the latest forecasts. Quelle service!

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sun 28-11-04 14:02; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Looking at the weather forecast on the Val d'Isere website, it's forecast to start snowing tonight and then into tomorrow. On the SCGB website the 6 day forecast is for 3' of snow in the next week. As far as I know, the forecast on the website comes straight from the tourism office, and in my experience is usually spot on. The SCGB website is a little less reliable, but generally the closer it gets, the better it gets. If I was in resort, I would be taking bets that it will snow tomorrow. snowHead
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Alpine Experience has opened in Val and Wayne resumed his daily reports as of 27/28 Nov, see http://www.alpineexperience.com/news.html . He says the snow cover is very poor, almost nothing is open and then only with man-made snow.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We are still supposed to get some decent snowfall at some point today just down the valley in Les Arcs according to Meteo France.

I'll update if and when it happens, but just a touch of fog at the moment above 1500m, no sign of the promised snow yet, allegedly down to 700m from 7am this morning. Sad

Arc 1600 webcam + regular (factual!) weather updates....
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
PG, there is snow falling in Chamonix currently according to the picture on the www.chamonix.com homepage with forecast continuous light snow all day. circa 5-10cms at 1800mtrs.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Meteo France has just revised this morning's forecast from "substantial" to "light" snowfall, supposed to last until tomorrow evening. Assuming it arrives in the first place. Very cold tomorrow (0°C at 600m now forecast) but clear from Wednesday and freeze point shooting up to 2400m on Thursday ... not good.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
There's snow on the Val d'Isere webcam.
snow report
Here in the Hautes Alpes just below Puy Saint Vincent, I can confirm that it is snowing heavily this morning and it started last night (Sunday 28th Nov). We have about 5cms on the ground at 1100m and about 25cms at 2700m. Very Happy

The forcast has just been updated as well to say that the snow will continue through to the end of the week at least Very Happy Very Happy

From Pete@alpsun.com
snow conditions
petel, welcome to snowheads, good to hear it's snowing in your area, now please arrange for the snow to be blown Northwards.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 29-11-04 10:07; edited 1 time in total
latest report
petel, Welcome to snowheads and with good news as well most welcome snowHead
snow report
petel, great news petel, and welcome to snowHead snowHeads snowHead

Isn't Les Vigneaux somewhere in the valley not long after you turn off the main road to Briancon towards Puy/Vallouise? It rings a bell.
ski holidays
Thanks everyone - especially David@traxvax, and David@traxvax jnr. Here's hoping A LOT can happen in 2 weeks....

Hi petel. Nice to hear you're snowed in - please send the excess North by express delivery. Thanks.
snow report
11:24 here, four hours after it was supposed to start coming down. Still no sign of windscreen wipers working on cars going past.... Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
... and apart from a cold day tomorrow, medium-term forecasts for the Tarentaise suggest sunshine at least until Friday morning, temperatures rising, 0°C around 2400m Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
We can do with new guy like petel coming with news of a big dump of snow everyday!

Welcome!
ski holidays
PG, I share your pain. Have a hug from me and a few hankies. I think I have a few spare dry ones left....
snow report
petel, is your studio slopeside at PSV available during the English Championship week (think it's 26 March - 1 April) ??
snow report
PG wrote:
petel, is your studio slopeside at PSV available during the English Championship week (think it's 26 March - 1 April) ??

Yep it is available for at the moment.

And...in answer to your previous question...you are right about where Les Vigneaux is too!

Sorry for the delay in repsonding, been outside digging the car and drive way out...still snowing here!

Pete@alpsun.com
snow report
Just looked at the SCGB weather forecast, they've downgraded the amount of snow expected in Val d'Isere. Sad
snow report
David@traxvax, The forecast for La Thuille is snow http://www.regione.vda.it/protezione_civile/meteo/default_e.asp and sure enough the webcam confims this http://www.lathuile.it/winter/meteo/index.asp
Just accross the pass from La Rosiere so there must be snow around.
I'll be in La Thuille in 6 weeks so plenty of time for me.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kramer, just been talking to a Val d'Isère ESF instructor, the prognosis is not good for the Criterium the first weekend - had it been slalom or GS maybe, but for the speed events they're going to need a lot more snow....
ski holidays
PG, surely the official course inspection has been and gone now? Or at the least it must be imminent.
snow report
Must be imminent, they can leave it until about a week or so before I think..... first official practice on Thursday 9th, so any day now - and little prospect of snow.
ski holidays
I did know when it was, someone told me the other week, but I forgot Puzzled
latest report
Men's downhill Sat 11th, GS Sun 12th, practice on the Thurs and Friday. Then the women's events, two downhills, the following Sat and Sun.
latest report
doh.... I knew that, I meant when the official course inspection is.
ski holidays
Thought it was an odd question! as for the inspection, I've not asked, I'd rather not know until the last minute Confused
ski holidays
Just to cheer people up a little, this photo was taken an hour ago, 9am French time...

Tignes les Boisses at 1830m, Hotel Les Mélèzes
latest report
Tignes data being mailed out at moment: (Tuesday am)
Quote:
-Snow at 2800m: 36 cm
-Snow at top (3500m): 75 cm
-Last snowfall: 30 November - 25 cm
-Weather: Snow showers
-Weather forecast: Slightly cloudy
-Temperature 2800m: -5 °C
-Temperature top: -10 °C
-Return to resort: Partial (Double M)
-Wind at bottom: 25 kmh
-Wind at the top: 50 km/h
-Avalanche risk: Considerable
-Percentage of ski area open: 15 %
-Open lifts: 17 / 97
-Open slopes: 20 / 129
-Number green: 2 / 20
-Number blue: 12 / 59
-Number red: 5 / 36
-Number black: 1 / 14
Road conditions: Winter tyres, tyre chains or similar is mandatory. Drive carefully!
General information:
Due to the lack of snow the Espace Killy is still closed but will open progressively. The glacier is open every day from 9 a.m to 4.15 p.m. and also the slopes for beginners of the Rosset and the Lavachet and the Carline slope. Avalanche risk 3/5.
ski holidays
Thanks PG, any idea of wind direction?
snow report
David@traxvax, on snowheads the wind is high and the direction random. not sure about Tignes.
snow conditions
And usually lots of it.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy