Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Marriage Saving Trip Suggestions

Poster: A snowHead
The last two years my wife and I have been fortunate to get away for 2 nights/3 days without the kids. The first year was my 40th and we stayed in a fantastic but pricey hotel at Zell Am See. Last year (in the days when everyone had money to burn) we went to Cervinia and stayed in another pukka hotel. In short, we treated ourselves at lovely hotels and had a great time.

I want to go away again this year but ,as we all know, the world is a very different economic place nowadays. Our marriage isn't in doubt but, hey, I've caught your attention ;-)

I am looking for suggestions that replace what we lost albeit we need to be more frugal. My criteria are:

1. Europe, quick cheapie flight from Stansted.

2. Quick transfer under an hour, but up to an hour and 15 if needs be

3. Good intermediate skiing

4. Good chance of uncrowded (although we will go midweek and avoid weekend crowds)

5. Accomodation needs not be posh but good value, well located.

6. Not known as an expensive resort

I have my own ideas but always like to hear what :sH: have to say.

Thanks.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Peter Leuzzi, what do you consider your price range for the hotel?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Frosty the Snowman, ' morning. Early start as well, eh?

I would say up to £150 per night as an absolute max and if I had no other choices. So anything below that. Target say £100/night for the two of us.

Further, if it had to be an apartment to rent for a week and we only used it for the two nights and it was cheaper I'd be up for that too.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Peter Leuzzi, Dates? If you can look at the end of January, I can offer a very (very!) nice catered chalet in Samoens which would seem to match most of your criteria. If of interest, drop me a pm or see Chalet Tatatz in my link - we can do a few days from Sunday/Monday Very Happy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anniepen, thinking early March.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Peter Leuzzi, type Zauchensee into google. Some very nice hotels and satisfies all of your needs. Different price bands through the season. Not wild on apres though.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Frosty the Snowman, looks good. Have you been?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Peter Leuzzi, we're looking at a hotel in Werfenweng, 45 mins from Salzburg (fly with Ryanair from Stansted), hotel seems nice and is all inclusive. Limited ski area by comparison to some resorts, but still plenty to keep you busy for a few days. Resort at 1000m, topping out at just under 2000m. Just an idea - deal here. We also stayed here in Saalbach a couple of years ago which is a nice half board hotel with a spa, probably nearer 1hr 15mins transfer and also it's in a hamlet just outside Saalbach rather than right in it.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Peter Leuzzi, OK - if it's of interest, let me know and I'll see what can be offered. In the meantime, good luck - sure you'll get some very nice ideas
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ski-finder, Werfenweng looks good also, but skiing looks limited. We are not first lift/last run people but do do a fair few miles in a day. And if there were a snow problem......
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Peter Leuzzi, I skied there last year, but stayed in Radstadt.
Resort Z wink is ski in, good altitude, and the most stunning and vast ski area, about 900km on the lift pass..
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ski-finder, didnt mean to poo poo your trip to Werfenweng. I think it will be ideal for your family holiday and is probably a deal we will look at with our kids in years to come when they are a bit more ski sufficient.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Peter Leuzzi,

Given that it fits your travel parameters and if your happy to go back to Zell, you might consider this apartment. The owners will take bookings per night

http://www.holidaylettings.co.uk/rentals/zell-am-see/64174

We normally go to a nice but pricey hotel and are also cutting the budget this year. We found this and decided to go self catering instead. Basically, including the flights and car hire we are £2200 cheaper than the hotel for the fortnight - before we buy any food or drink.

I'm sure we could spend that in a fortnight but will realistically only spend half that at most.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Peter Leuzzi, i'm only expecting a few days skiing... we went to st johann a few years back, admittedly with mega snow but there was plenty of skiing for a couple of days. But it's true if you fancy clocking up some miles there would be better options.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Peter Leuzzi, we also take short break bookings, but we do have a minimum charge of three nights. We do have some availability for March depending on the dates you want.
latest report
robboj, thanks will check it out.

Helen Beaumont, what is the nearest airport to SC? How long is the transfer?
ski holidays
Peter Leuzzi, Turin is the nearest, 1.30 to 2 hours depending on weather conditions, and your arrival time in Turin. We arrived in Turin at 10am one morning, and were in Monetier juat afer 12.
latest report
Peter Leuzzi, the AA route says 1 hour 34 mins.
snow report
Megeve ? Very pretty and romantic, quiet slopes. We stayed with Stanford Skiing - very reasonable.
snow report
erica2004, good shout. Did you do a short break?
snow conditions
Peter Leuzzi, Megeve is lovely, but not cheap. However don't go to France first week in March - Paris school holidays. I would also suggest La Clusaz or Le Grand Bornand.
snow report
Another vote for Ski Amade (Zauchensee). Didn't stay there, but visited a very nice hotel owned by Michael Walchoffer's family.
ski holidays
Peter Leuzzi, Yes we did - I think it was Thurs to Sun. We went before Christmas a couple of years ago - after a big snowfall. The resort was just opening. We had
lift passes numbers 1 and 2 ! Some of the hotels looked lovely. We stayed in a 'basic'ski chalet but the food was excellent. I'd go back and stay in a hotel.
ski holidays
erica2004, you were lucky to get resort level snow at that point - it's a bit of a gamble at any time, down in the town, but it is a very attractive centre. Some of the hotels are super-pricey.
snow report
pam w, Yes, very lucky - it was very last minute and our transfer from Geneva was slow because of the snow! I loved the resort - very pretty and incredibly quiet on the slopes.
Peter Leuzzi, My favourite resort is Lech and this is accessible by private transfer from Innsbruck in approx. 1hr10mins. I know everyone will say it's pricey but we have been there and paid a small fortune for accommodation, but have also had some good deals, especially in Oberlech. The Hotel Salome is lovely. This year we're also going to Ischgl and this is a lot less expensive than Lech. I don't know if there are flights from Stanstead to Innsbruck?
latest report
Quote:

the world is a very different economic place nowadays

Is it? From what I read, food and fuel prices are now dropping and interest rates are low, all of which should mean that people have money to spend. My TO spies tell me that bookings are up on last year.
snow report
if it helps some good flight deals on swiss £120return to geneva and zurich all in inc ski carriage
ski holidays
Lizzard wrote:
Quote:

the world is a very different economic place nowadays

Is it? From what I read, food and fuel prices are now dropping and interest rates are low, all of which should mean that people have money to spend. My TO spies tell me that bookings are up on last year.

Peversely TOs may have been helped by the economic situation - due to the bonding they offer . Following well publicised collapses of XL & Zoom with possibly more airlines vulnerable plus worry about whether your "independent" chalet or appartment owner is going to have the plug pulled on them by their bank.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy