Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val Thorens Ski Schools ?

Poster: A snowHead
This trip is still in the early planing stage, but im interested in any recommendations about Val Thoren ski schools for children (aged 6 and 9).
Their previous experience was in Swiss Ski schools, both had 2 or 3 weeks experience, so I dont how the VT set up will compare.
Any advice appreciated.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Is no-one talking to you BMF_Skier, ? Pity, it would have been good to find out VT ski schools. Maybe a bit more info will help.

The Swiss ski school is this one http://www.snowsports.ch/de/sss/ssle/

If children from this school visited VT they would ideally need a comparable school and one which ideally recognised their progress in the Swiss school's programme.

This info might help to get a response, Snowheads usually has the information somewhere in its system Very Happy snowHead .
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Prosneige Is the Ski School in Val Thorens that always got the best praise around here. As a result we've used them for our kids with decent results and they've also provided a few services at the EoSB. AFAIK they're the best in town.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks admin, do you know how they assess which level to start the kids from? I'm wondering if they will they accept the experience that they have had in Switzerland which I imagine places the children at silver level in their list.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Megamum wrote:
Thanks admin, do you know how they assess which level to start the kids from? I'm wondering if they will they accept the experience that they have had in Switzerland which I imagine places the children at silver level in their list.

In terms of assessing where the kids start from the easiest thing to do is just to look what they can do and teach them from there. When you book them into ski school it is easier to use a factual description of what they have done (eg, a couple of weeks on skis, able to control their speed and direction by snowplough turns on gentle blues, improving confidence to go a bit quicker) then let the ski school put the kids into approximately the right group. If any changes need to be made from there, such as a higher or lower group, their instructor should be inthe best position to decide.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Kids progress at different rates (sometimes they even seem to regress between trips) so what classes they've been in, isn't that great a guide. As rob@rar says, there's no sensible way other than to just look at them ski. Tell the ski school how many days/weeks they've skied, whether they've cracked any particular techniques, whether they're timid or adventurous etc to help get the class roughly right the first day.
But do remember, they do this every week of the season. So the first morning, the instructors tell each other where they'll be and you'll often see 3 or 4 classes head off to the same slope so they can swap kids with each other until they get a matching set.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
admin, This will be the kids first time in a 'large' resort , and their mother is suitably cautious about how they will fit in. It my first experience of having children along and having to consider their needs, so it's firsts all round !
We're looking at VT for several reasons - Mid April, driving from UK, Appartments near piste, none ski-ing facilities nearby.
I've seen Prosniege on the slopes but never had lessons with them. I've had lessons with ESF, but always found them rather aloof. Shame New Generation dont have an operation here, or we'd be with them.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Another vote for prosneige from me, having used them for 3 consecutive seasons/holidays when the kids were younger. Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
BMF_Skier wrote:
Shame New Generation dont have an operation here, or we'd be with them.
Yes I agree. I told them they should but they said it's too cold during most of the season - wimps! Laughing
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
BMF_Skier, maybe choose a resort where NewGen do operate?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It's my first post so hello everyone.

In my limited experience the ski school in VT is superb. We had an excellent teacher and if you were obviously better / worse than the ability of the group you are in then they simply move you to the appropriate one the next day. We saw the kids classes about and they seemed to be enjoying themselves. It's amazing how fast they go! I guess when you're that young you have no fear. Laughing
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rob@rar,After water ski-ing through Mottaret at 1700m last EoSB, I think a higher resort is required. Sad Meribel at 1400m (where New Gen meet) in mid to late April may not have as good snow cover as its 2000m + neighbour so we've booked VT instead. Very Happy
admin, New Gen think its too cold in VT? Bless. Puzzled
Looks like it is going to be Prosneige. Thanks to all for the advice. Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
BMF_Skier wrote:
rob@rar,After water ski-ing through Mottaret at 1700m last EoSB, I think a higher resort is required. Sad Meribel at 1400m (where New Gen meet) in mid to late April may not have as good snow cover as its 2000m + neighbour so we've booked VT instead. Very Happy

Fair point. If you have the opportunity ask for Phillipe with Prosneige. He does some of the off-piste guiding at the EoSB and he's a really good guy. Excellent English, very funny and I'm sure he's a great instructor.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar wrote:
......If you have the opportunity ask for Phillipe with Prosneige. He does some of the off-piste guiding at the EoSB and he's a really good guy. Excellent English, very funny and I'm sure he's a great instructor.

Agreed.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rob@rar, spyderjon, Thanks guys, that sort of recommendation is one of the reasons I love snowheads Cool
snow conditions
gingerpaul, welcome to snowHead 's - you may have gathered that there is more than one ski school in VT - which one were you with?
ski holidays
Only know Phillipe from excusions so can't really comment on his teaching... but he is a nice guy, tries hard and speaks well...

I think the OP should be looking at Charlotte in L2A....unless it MUST be VT..
ski holidays
Phillipe is a gnarly, smoking, old fashioned mountain goat. NBot sure that teaching young kids would be his forte. Speak to Prosneige and they should fix you up with a child orientated instructor. It is very important to have some one that understands and relates to young kids.

The week you are there is French hols (I think) so be prepared for much busier pistes than during the EoSB.
snow report
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Phillipe is a gnarly, smoking, old fashioned mountain goat. NBot sure that teaching young kids would be his forte. Speak to Prosneige and they should fix you up with a child orientated instructor. It is very important to have some one that understands and relates to young kids.

I talked to him a fair bit about teaching at the last EoSB and he said he enjoyed working with kids because they were generally more fun than adults. I think he said he also has at least one school-age child himself.
latest report
rob@rar, Awww the big softy Very Happy
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, that's what I thought. He's a top guy!
snow report
Hi everyone.new to this forum and only had one week skiing experience in Morzine a couple of years ago ( yes the year there was hardly any snow!! Still managed a few blue runs by the end of the week and hooked on skiing! Off to VT in january
Am taking my 20 year old daughter for the first time who would probably like to have a young male ( preferably handsome she says) for our ski school instructor, yes I am going to so I can hopefully improve my snowplough and improve my lack of technique at getting off a ski lift
Any reccomendations for a fun instructor? from Prosneige by the sound of the posts I have read
Thanks folks
snow conditions
Yoda: I can't remember the name of the company because I didn't book the lessons. They were in all red (as are all the instructors in ski resorts from what I've seen) and meet in the square between the two button lifts and the top of the magic carpet. It's signed as the ski school meeting point. Perhaps someone else can indentify them from that description.
snow report
gingerpaul, almost certainly ESF, who don't normally get many recommendations. glad you had a good experience.
snow conditions
welshlady, croeso to snowHead 's I'm afraid I only know Philippe (who is fun but possibly over 21) - however I'm sure Prosneige will be able to assist wink

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sat 25-10-08 17:52; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
welshlady, welcome to snowHeads Smile

All ski instructors are young and handsome, even the old, ugly ones Wink
ski holidays
rob@rar, oh yes that's right, I forgot Embarassed
latest report
BMF_Skier wrote:
This trip is still in the early planing stage, but im interested in any recommendations about Val Thoren ski schools for children (aged 6 and 9).
Their previous experience was in Swiss Ski schools, both had 2 or 3 weeks experience, so I dont how the VT set up will compare.
Any advice appreciated.

If they were in a swiss ski school, they ought to have a small booklet where the instructor marked their progress. (I'd expect something like blue king, blue star in the new booklet (white), or blue king, aspirant red prince (black booklet))

The school schould be able to judge where to place the kids as the booklets have pretty good descriptions of what is required to be awarded each grade. (and we in wengen are encouraged NOT to overgrade...)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If you do opt for the ESF, request David Mitchell. He is the only Britsh instructor working for The Reds in Val Thorens. He's a great instructor of adults and kids and an all round good guy.
latest report
Quote:

All ski instructors are young and handsome, even the old, ugly ones

And if you're following them down the mountain it's the shape of the bum that matters....
snow report
pam w, Indeed Very Happy
latest report
Ronald, Yes, the children do have the books as described - they had old black ones and got the new white ones this year. My Youngest age 6 has a tick in the good box for Blue Prince, and my eldest (rising 9) has a tick for good in the Blue Queen. It sounds as though it might be worth taking their books to show the VT instructors. If they started them at a similar level I'm sure they would be able to sort out where they are at - which may be slightly ahead of their book marks as they had lots of free skiing practice with my Swiss friends too, but is clearly something for the respective instructors to decide. My daughter won her slalom race out of about 20 kids (mostly Swiss nationals) this year.
snow conditions
If Wengens Club Med classes are any indication of what the ESF will do.... (Club Med is very french, also in Switzerland)

The blue Prince should probably go to an 'easier' class 2 (Age 6 + 'good', but shouldn't go to a complete beginners class)
The blue Queen I'd say easy class 3.

We had an intermediate 2+ class at Club in Wengen, but i doubt thats very formal Wink
Its where a blue queen would normally go.

Since the difference between price/princess and king/queen is pretty big, i wouldn't count on having them go to the same class.
snow report
Don't you just hate it when something manages to post twice Evil or Very Mad

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 28-10-08 15:21; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Ronald, That's great, I hoped there would be someone here that understood the two systems.

I agree that there is a leap between the two grades. They would have both have been at the higher level, but the first year we went my youngest was too young and didn't make the whole week in the class, he only did the first couple of days, so we just spent the first week when his sister was completing the infants class on the Pinochio run getting him used to his skis. He had to start again the next year when he was fine, but it did split them by the one week lesson course and it is unlikely he will ever catch up. However, I don't think this is a bad thing - they both go by themselves into their classes and of course there is no point in either of them doing the OTT drama bit as there is not the other one to come back and tell tales. They both have to knuckle under and get one with coping with the lesson - its good for their independance. In fact they do lots of things in different classes, for example, their French lessons so wouldn't be expecting to be together anyway.

Also, they are both looking forward to some lessons where there will be some English spoken too I expect that most instructors in a large resort like VT will speak more English than the instructors they have had so far.
latest report
Megamum, I have no 'direct' experience with the french system, just the system Club Med used for us in Wengen... so it may just be a bit off...
ski holidays
Quote:

it is unlikely he will ever catch up.

he probably will! But I agree it's often good for kids to be in different classes, from a number of points of view. Preferably ones which start and finish at the same time, and in the same place. wink
ski holidays
holidayloverxx wrote:
gingerpaul, almost certainly ESF, who don't normally get many recommendations. glad you had a good experience.

That's right, it was ESF. Thanks for jogging my memory. Sounds like I was lucky with my instructor then. He was a well weathered frenchman with a dislike for the Dutch. He was hilarious!
snow conditions
I found Proneige to be very good (Feb 2008)
ski holidays
Booking with Prosneige has been made for the Dec trip Very Happy
Depending upon how that works out the kids will have Prosneige in April.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy