Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria or france??? advice wanted

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
we are a group of 5 snowboarders looking for good snow/piste and good nightlife, we have been to whistler for the last few seasons, previous to that morzine ,andorra.....

this season we are looking to go late on, say middle march 09 to europe as canada aint too cheap!!

we are gonna do a road trip from the uk and were thinking MAYRHOFEN, Austria or Chamonix,france but cant decide

on one hand the snow/bars etc, any good in mayrhofen???, also saw you cant ski to bottom. can anyone confrim any of this?

flip side we were thinking Chamonix - snows seems good but price of drinks /food etc is meant to be too expensive

has anyone been to both? any advice?

thanks Skullie
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
andyw1230, welcome to Snow Heads. snowHead Depends on what you want more - Mayrhofen has good and very Austrian nightlife (been lots and always had a ball) but you can't ski to the bottom. Chamonix has lots of excellent skiing AND nightlife, but it's a ritzy-ish resort and it's not cheap. You'll usually save money if you can stay in a smaller outlying town, and travel in to ski, but that may then restrict your nightlife. An idea of what budget you are looking at (cheap means different things to different people wink ), if you'll have a car, and your must-haves for a holiday will help us give you some better ideas.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Chamonix.

Mayrhofen is too low for mid-Mar.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Whitegold wrote:
Chamonix.

Mayrhofen is too low for mid-Mar.

No it is not and I'm going there end of march. True at resort level (600 m) there may be no snow. But the skiing is between 1700m-2500m which is quite high for Austrian standards. The Hintertuxer glacier is also close, plus a number of other ski resorts all on the same liftpass. Main disadvantage is that there is no ski run back to the village so you have to take cablecar down.

If you want lots of piste skiing in different skiing areas, then go to Mayrhofen. If you are expert skiers who want to go to mainly off piste, then go to Chamonix (Argentiere).
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There is quite a bit of

bart_bdv wrote:
piste skiing in different skiing areas,

in Sham too.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Mosha Marc wrote:
There is quite a bit of

bart_bdv wrote:
piste skiing in different skiing areas,

in Sham too.

Sure but I don't think piste skiing would be the reason to go the Chamonix.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
bart_bdv, you're right.

The nightlife is kicking too
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Have a look at Solden, might fit your requirements better than either chamonix or mayrhofen. Excellent snow, rocking nightlife and no more exspensive than mayrhofen
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I went to Chamonix a few years back and wasn't overly impressed. Went to Mayrhofen last year with Snowbombing and absolutely loved it, some great runs and excellent apres-ski, it was early April but still got a huge dump of snow while out there and conditions were really good. I'm going back to Mayrhofen next year and would thoroughly recommend it.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
andyw1230, Mayrhofen, Chamonix?? you like queues then?

Seriously, I'd have another look unless you're really really good in which Cham does have a lot offer to compensate for all the aggro of actuallt getting up onto mountain.

Don't sweat Mid March though, that's a great time to go to the Alps, as others have said
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy