Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Time for new gloves

Poster: A snowHead
My trusty old Kombi gloves have reached the point where there's more duct tape than glove, and it's time to get a new pair.

What do you look for in a glove? Which would you recommend?

My preference is for a glove with fingers, rather than mittens; a removeable liner (so's I can wash out the sweat at regular intervals); warm and waterproof (Gore-tex, or similar); really robust palm panels that will resist slicing by my edges when carrying skis over the shoulder, and ideally one of those little rubber squeegee thingies that I can use to wipe the raindrops off my goggles when it's p*ssing down in Whistler.

Any suggestions?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Acacia, It's not how a glove is made, rather, it's how it is put on that is important here Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Laughing Laughing
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hestra.

Top bananas
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm in the same situation,and I've been eying up some Hestra Heli gloves after reading so many positive reviews of them on here and other forums that I use. Only problem is that at that price I'd be scared witless of dropping one off a chairlift or something Shocked
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Acacia, don't knwo about the best, but I wouldn't recommend Swany. My fingers were dropping off in Breck so I bought new gloves. I asked for the warmest pair i coud get and was offered swany, at quite some expense - they really aren't all that and one of these days I think I'm going to invest in Hestra, given the good write ups they get here.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
mountain equipment, I have the couloir gloves - excellent Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've got two pairs of Rossignol gloves, I've never been faced with really cold conditions, but I've been very pleased with them and they are lovely and warm in the conditions I've experienced
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Going to differ here with holidayloverxx, as I bought some Swany's in Whistler as my old gloves were getting a little worn. Used em in Banff and surrounding areas and my hands were toastie all the time, and it did get cold there Smile Probably depends on which one in the range you get Confused I will say that I like a low bulk glove and my Swany's are too.

Hestra do get good rightups all the time as well Smile
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Terra Nova, Extremeties Ice Gauntlet. Removable fleece liner, padded knuckles and fingers, kevlar palm and finger grips, these are the warmest gloves I have had for a long time, plus they are so dextrous you can easily use zips and tie your laces in them!! These are my 1st choice of glove for doing anything when its really cold, from freezing mountain routes on the Ben to skiing and mountain rescue in winter, they are bombproof.

Try something new snowheads, dont stick with the usual brands that make ski wear get some kit from people that make it for the harshest conditions snowHead

http://www.nevisport.com/storedetail-2-product_id-242072
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Have used hestra for 10 years now, IMO the best by miles
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hestra.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
mark handford, I've still got an early pair of those. They only used to be about £40 Shocked
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Another vote for Hestra
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I don't know why, but I always wince when I see 'nose wipe' included in the properties of a glove Laughing
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Megamum, agreed. Just block up one hole and blow. Problem solved!
snow report
Mosha Marc, Yea a little bit of a price rise... My girl uses the same way to clear her blocked nose, except she uses her little finger to block the one nostril as "thats the way ladies do it"!! Laughing
snow conditions
These suckers seem to get a good rating for an allround glove - going to try to get a pair next time I'm in the US, apply a bit of scotchguard to up the waterproofing maybe

http://www.gloves-online.com/proddetail.php?prod=S-901
latest report
Best gloves I ever had were a pr of Invicta gauntlets as they had a sheepskin liner..
I prefer gauntlets as they stop snow getting everywhere.

Now, if cold is an issue, then get silk inners or better still, the semi mitts ( they only have 2 fingers ).. as the best insulator, IMV is the warmth of your own hands..

MH do some good gloves as do ME. I also prefer leather in the palms but the best way to keep gloves working is to dry them overnight and have two pr to alternate on days
latest report
Hi are you worried about the best gloves to keep your hands warm?
I just ordered a pair of heated glove liners from v5glove.com I will let you know if they are any good.

brownski
latest report
Acacia wrote:
My trusty old Kombi gloves have reached the point where there's more duct tape than glove, and it's time to get a new pair.

What do you look for in a glove? Which would you recommend?

My preference is for a glove with fingers, rather than mittens; a removeable liner (so's I can wash out the sweat at regular intervals); warm and waterproof (Gore-tex, or similar); really robust palm panels that will resist slicing by my edges when carrying skis over the shoulder, and ideally one of those little rubber squeegee thingies that I can use to wipe the raindrops off my goggles when it's p*ssing down in Whistler.

Any suggestions?

Even the best gloves will not help, unless you know how to use them: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=32488&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=glove+technique&start=0
snow conditions
Thanks everyone, for your suggestions.

mark handford,

Nevisport is the most convenient store for me: I saw the Extremities there a couple of weeks ago, and they looked pretty good, but it really helps to to get some user feedback.

Mosha Marc et al,

Looks like Ellis Brigham do Hestras. Sounds like a good excuse to visit Castleford soon.
ski holidays
My old Lowe Alpine gloves are beginning to fall apart after 17yrs of ice fall and ski use. Only cost me £35 originally so damn good value for money. One piece of advise... if you are going to be in really harsh blizzard conditions keep a spare pair of fleece gloves and a shell mitt in your sack... in certain conditions of wet snow and 100mph+ winds any standard glove will freeze solid as soon as you remove your hand from it. If you have to stay out overnight for any reason then only having one pair with you may prove disastrous.
snow conditions
I use these babies, Black Diamond Guide Glove - work great in all weathers, removable wool inner

I got them in the US end of season sale 2 years ago and were a lot cheaper then inc postage to the UK!

http://www.snowandrock.com/Department/Clothing/Gloves/Guide+Glove+BLK0122.htm

regards,

Greg
latest report
have you seen the lining in hestras - put me off them.

degre 7 at snow and rock are really warm and comfy

feel how much padding between liner and outer - lots of them don't even have any - bruhhh
snow report
innerspaceservices,
Quote:

have you seen the lining in hestras - put me off them.

I haven't seen a pair of Hestra gloves at all so what do you mean about the lining? What's it like?

Acacia, don't know if you're male or female but if you're female the Salomon Verbier GTX Women's gloves are fantastic and good value I think, they are £35. If you're male then they do a similar one with a different name. They are Gore Tex, they have palms that don't get cut by skis, they haven't got a liner mind but my hands don't even feel sweaty in mine, not like some Level or Dakine gloves I've worn before. Shocked They are machine washable so I chuck mine in the washing machine after each week or trip away and they've never stunk, the Level ones even with a liner in them were humming even after 2 days so these Salomons are fantastic IMV. Definitely warm and waterproof I've worn them in a really cold Dec and a warm April and they've never been not warm enough or too warm. They don't have the rubber goggle thing you mentioned but they do have a different material on the thumb that could be used to get snow off your gogs.

Have a look at them for your short list.
snow conditions
last year my ex bought some helstras - ergnomically very nice on the hand and full leather - got those nice cuffs with a vecro - i like those type of gloves. but his stank so bad - OMG.

there is no liner - it is like cheap fleece matting stuff and looks like you would put your finger through it and make a hole in no time - difficult to explain, you need to getta look at them in person to see what I mean.

I am sticking to my degre 7s - they are warm and comfy.

The things I look for in gloves

- don't want to feel seams - no prickliness
- can I close my hand without muscle burn on top of hand
- can i close my hand
- leather palms
- not gauntlets
- no fiddly zips, straps, buckles
- want vecro and wetsuit cuff
- not just out and lining - I want decent base
- good liner material
- fingers reach the end
- good all round tight fit/contact all over - if not your hands will be cold
ski holidays
innerspaceservices, ah ok.
Quote:

last year my ex bought some helstras - ergnomically very nice on the hand and full leather - got those nice cuffs with a vecro - i like those type of gloves. but his stank so bad - OMG.

Laughing Laughing I wonder what it is with some gloves-a couple of times I have walked past people's gloves on the table in a restaurant where they had taken them off to go get their lunch, and they were honking even from a distance. Lord! They belonged to guys too, both times, the snowboard mitt ones seem to be the worst Laughing wink

I know what you mean about the leather palms-they are good to stop the skis cutting them, but trouble is you can't really sling them in the washing machine-if you do it makes the leather bits go a bit funny. That's why I go for a synthetic palm and because those Salomon's are machine washable (I'm sure it says on the label they are, anyway if not, I've washed mine on a 40 with no probs at all, they don't turn inside out as well when they come out of the machine which is great-very annoying if that happens) anyway there is always hand wash setting just in case.

The wetsuit neoprene cuff is great-mine aren't so easy to get on just like that, but the right size when they're on so to speak. Snug fit=warmer hands I think too.
ski holidays
Reusch, does anyone else make gloves? Puzzled
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hestra Heli's are $59 p&p free online.... In certain sizes... I just bought a pair, left my old sallys in the Farinet last Easter rolling eyes
snow report
mark_s wrote:
I'm in the same situation,and I've been eying up some Hestra Heli gloves after reading so many positive reviews of them on here and other forums that I use. Only problem is that at that price I'd be scared witless of dropping one off a chairlift or something Shocked

The Hestra Pro range have the cunning things that go round your wrist enabling you to have a fag/answer phone/pick nose with careless abandon on a chairlift whilst others gawp at your derring-do.

The inner fleece has held up well after a solid season's punishment and can be laundered seperately when required. no seams or ridges just warmth and love.

Buy Hestra, sod the mortgage! NehNeh
latest report
HESTRA HESTRA HESTRA! The only gloves to ever come close were a pair I had from Reusch when I was a wee lad. I have the Hestra Army ones and they are bullet proof in rain or snow. They have long cuffs (I tend to wear them over my sleeves for ease, not very fashionable I know.) lovely stretchy handcuffs that attach to the gauntlets and the goat leather palm is not only hard wearing but it is the BEST for removing snow or rain from your goggles. Much better than any finger wiper.

http://www.hestragloves.com/www/live/hestragloves/hgproduct.aspx?TreeID=321&ShopTreeID=19&ProductID=60
snow report
Hestra Heli Pro are the only gloves I've had for more than 3 weeks that haven't fallen to pieces...and that includes gloves from £35 - £60. Well worth the investment IMHO
snow report
Yup, Hestra are fantastic gloves. The lining is really warm and not at all flimsy and doesn't smell either (at least not on me). The only quibble I have with them is they are sometimes TOO warm in March when it starts to heat up. Mr DS laughs at me using the wrist attachments but I would hate to lose one!
ski holidays
I'm wondering if the Hestra's with padded knuckles would be ok for the ice climbing... prob too much leather to soak up the water though.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy