Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Update from the Lake District nd North Pennines

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I posted this over on winterhighland but it might also be of interest to some northern Snowheads too snowHead

Last season was a good one for the Lake District Ski Club. March and April in particular delivered good conditions on Raise and even some of the extreme lines on Helvellyn were skied for the first time in several years, causing a bit of debate in the local press. The tow on Raise ran for 30 days and could have run longer had some of the key members not been away in Val D’isere. The webcam which uploads each morning from Raise to Flickr provides quite a good visual record of the late season snow cover.
www.flickr.com

This summer the electrical system has been completely overhauled following some problems during the season. All the Pomas have had their annual clean and regrease, the idle wheels, rope and bull wheel have been inspected and lubricated as necessary. Continuing repairs have been made to the fencing and the whole site is in a very tidy condition. No other significant work is programmed and we now await the first skiable snow.

If you want to ski at Raise you must join the club but can do that on the day or online for about £23. Each days skiing thereafter is £7 or a season ticket can be bought for £20. Be warned however you will need to be fit enough to walk for an hour uphill carrying all your kit and be confident in winter mountain conditions.

Across the Eden Valley in the North Pennines, Yad Moss had a less successful season. The tow ran for less than 10 days, but still delivered some reasonable skiing. Over the hill Weardale ran their tows on some days when Yad Moss was not skiable, because of their more favourable north easterly orientation. Both Yad Moss and Weardale are much easier to access than Raise but do often require some tricky winter driving to reach. Last year both clubs had a reciprocal membership agreement, I would expect that to be repeated this season but that isn’t confirmed yet.

Maintenance wise there have been fewer working parties at Yad Moss this summer because a lot of the major work was undertaken last year. The last remaining inspection gantry has now been fitted to pylon 2 making access easier, whilst one of the down slope idle wheels has been removed, repaired and reinstalled. The last of the tow track fencing has also been realigned, making a complete run of the tow now possible for the Kassbohrer. Elsewhere more fencing has been replaced with pallet boarding which we have found to be more effective than chestnut paling. The only other potential project this autumn might be a relocation of the webcam into a better position looking down the run.

All the clubs are keen to invite enthusiastic new members and welcome some new blood! If you’re accessible to the Lake District or North Pennines and would like to get involved in helping to run your own little ski area, (it is great fun!), then send me a private message or else turn up to one of the work parties and tell the team you’re keen to help out. If you just want to come along to ski or ride when the conditions are right, then you’ll find details on each of the club websites.

www.ldscsnowski.co.uk Lake District

www.yadmoss.co.uk Yad Moss

www.skiweardale.co.uk Weardale

www.ski-allenheads.co.uk Allendale

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 29-10-08 12:32; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Outstanding! Used to have many friends from Barrow and Cumbria area....skiing in the lake district is very cool.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Worth keeping an eye on the weather next week.
Just an outside chance that Raise and possibly Yad Moss might have some skiable snow snowHead
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
only live an hour away didn't know about this place Razz
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Peter S, Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Interesting! Yad Moss now at http://www.yadmoss.co.uk not the price of cheese.

Perhaps I need a pair of old skis...
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for that James.

All the runs are on a grassy base, sometimes more grassy than snowy snowHead You'll do a lot less damage at YM than say in early season at a high alpine resort.

However, I would strongly reccommend oldski clothes or at least something you don't mind oil being dripped on or getting covered in peat Laughing
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
seems the allenheads link has no content Sad
I skied there once about 4 years ago, are they still going ?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Peter S, This year I must make the effort. Just back from a few days in Keswick, and saw a bit of snow on Helvellyn as I was leaving
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Raise webcam up and running.....well once a day !

http://www.flickr.com/photos/raise_up_dated_pics/
Not skiable yet though. snowHead

Slideshow here which gives a taste of Lakeland skiing ;

http://uk.youtube.com/v/xhBzXkGMKkU
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy