Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Fall-line mag - skis of the year

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Trying to get some work done this morning then the nice new Fall-line mag just landed on the doorstep - and it's the one with the big gear reviews supplement Very Happy

Salomon Lord looks set to be this year's hot poop bestseller, Ski+Board really liked it too.

Fall-Line Ski of the Year Awards 2008/9....

Men's ski of the year - Salomon Lord
Runner up: Scott Crusade
Women's ski of the year - Head Great One
All mountain ski - K2 Xplorer
Jib ski - Volkl Wall
Big Mountain - Scott Pure
On-piste carver - Atomic Doubledeck Vario-Flex 72
Value - K2 Silencer and Missconduct
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I saw a Lord in a store and it looked abit like a wannabe Movement copy a couple of years behind in shape with the possible "radical" addition of a bit of rocker. No idea how it skis but I'm sure it will be a success with the Amer marketing machine behind it if any punters are buying new skis this year. Just remember all your mates will constantly refer to your Gaylords wink
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
fatbob wrote:
Just remember all your mates will constantly refer to your Gaylords wink

fatbob, Laughing Laughing love it, in one word you've just undone $millions of Salomon marketing....

From the review: "Allegedly there's some rocker in the nose to make it ski 'shorter' on piste and give good lift on soft snow, but we're buggered if we can see it." Other than that they loved it. Expect these will be flying off the Slush & Rubble shelves this winter...

I also read that Salomon have started turning out some proper wood-cored non-noodles after shifting production to Austria. I still won't be buying any but wouldn't mind giving them a testride.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Personally I think Sally have forgotten how to make wood core skis after trying their quiver in Saalbach this year, still I guess thats what advertising money gets you! Good call on the Scott Pure, the 193 were one of the nicest rides I've ever had!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Saw a pair of customer's Lords today mounted with Fritchi's & they felt light for a wooden ski so should make a good AT set-up. The factory edge finish was poor & I couldn't see any rocker. A buyer will also need a good sidewall remover which will be good for business. Didn't think of the Movement comparison but fatbob is right, they do look like 'em.

I was hoping that the new 179cm Pilgrim would've got the nod above the Lord but a small brand with limited distribution is always gonna struggle to get tester's attention.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
spyderjon wrote:
& I couldn't see any rocker.

I felt like a bit of a newbie when I couldn't notice much of a rocker. Guess I'm not too stupid.
Will this rockered tip considerably compromise the lord's on-piste performance?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Fergus wrote:
.......Will this rockered tip considerably compromise the lord's on-piste performance?

Not if it hasn't got one wink

Haven't tried them but as there's no reverse sidecut, no reverse camber & no rockered tail I'd reckon that the tip rocker will just mean that it will ski a lot shorter on firm snow.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Any chance of this thread being translated into English?

snowHead
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Chris Bish wrote:
Any chance of this thread being translated into English? snowHead

Laughing, Jon must be out tonight?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
spyderjon, He is sitting right next to me doing an essay, but I still think he would be unable to explain any of this stuff! Guessing now, but would "rockered tail" mean the back of the ski sticking up a bit? "tip rocker" - no idea. "reverse sidecut" - nope. " reverse camber" - not sure what that is. "ski shorter" - feel a bit shorter than they really are? "firm snow" - snow that is firm???? Guessing now. How am I doing?

snowHead
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Chris Bish, I'm trying to work out how having Francis Rossi sitting on your ski tip would be of any assistance Puzzled

Shall I go and get my coat?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Chris Bish,
Reverse camber = camber is reversed the entire length, ie ski bends upwards so when put together base to base the middle of both skis will touch & the tips & tails will be apart - the opposite of conventional skis.
Rockered = underfoot/mid section of the ski is flat or with normal camber and either the tips only or the tips & tails are reverse camber.

Either of the above types can also incorporate a reverse sidecut feature which is when the widest part of the ski is actually quite a bit further back from the tip.

Skis incorporating some/all of the above features in a wide ski are the new hot ticket for off-piste skiing, particularly deep &/or difficult snow were they give excellent float. However these features reduce their on-piste/firm/hard-packed snow performance as the reverse camber/rockers means that not only is the running surface length of the ski (the part of the ski in contact with the snow) reduced & the tips/tails can't be pressured.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Chris Bish, Laughing

It's good to see Head have changed the names of their skis. A year ago, before I bought my Missions, I tested some Head skis at MK and loved them enough to buy them, except they were called Sweet Fat Thang, so I didn't.

If theyd been called Head Great One, I would have. So much for marketing Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Megamum, Ah a Quo fan eh, or do you just like men with pony tails?

Jasper Carrott made a comment about middle-aged men with said hairstyle.

"Why do they call them pony tails...because when you lift them up there's an ar**hole underneath".

His words not mine. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
RachelQ swayed by marketing? No way... Toofy Grin Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy