Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Decisions,decisions..flying to Turin

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,
I have flights to Turin booked 31st Jan.
I am undecided about where to head off to for a week of snowboarding.
Originally I had Cervinia in mind ( you may have seen my earlier post about this )
Now I am undecided as apartment rental in Cervinia is difficult to obtain and rather expensive.
I am now looking at Bardonnechia..easy transfer..apartment at the foot of the slopes..£273pp for apartment and 6 day lift pass.

My dilemma is that I really think the snow and terrain at Cervinia will be better than at Bardonnechia. But if I go to Cervinia it would probably mean an apartment in Valtournenche and having to drive to get to Cervinia and missing out on the apres ski.

Any advice to help me make up my mind would be appreciated.

PS

I have been going out to Andorra for the past 10 years but the last two years have seen very poor snow conditions until very late in the season, so I thought it was time for a change.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Have you talked to the Cervinia tourist office? They might help out with accomodation. There's loads accessible from Turin anyway, not just Cervinia and Bardonnechia. And in either case if you have a car you're reasonably well placed in Bardonnechia to do a bit of touring around both Italian and French resorts (Sauze, various Maurienne valley resorts...)
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I quite like the look of Bardonnechia...

The first, made up of Colomion, Les Arnauds and Melezet, is a
comprehensive network of runs leading off from the centre of town,
Campo Smith, at 4265 ft (1300 metres); the slopes are large and many
of them are soorounded by beautiful woodlands and landscape.

The higher slopes are above the woods in an area known as Vallon Cros.
The skiing here is at the height of 7873 ft (2400 metres).

The second area, known as Jafferau, it's 9186 ft (2800 metres)
at its highest point and most of the skiing here is above the woods.
At such height the views over the surrounding mountains are unique.
More over there are endless possibilities for off-piste skiing and
snowboarding even in the springtime.

Bardonecchia has:

21 lifts (chailifts, j-bars) with an uphill capacity of 30000 skiers per hour
100 km of slopes: 5black; 18 red; 10 blue; 6 green
38 km programmed snow
OLYMPIC HALF PIPE
SNOWPARK
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
As a boarder myself I wouldn't go to a resort that had such a proportion of the devil's spawn known as drag lifts..

Out of the 5 or 6 highest points on the map of Bardonechia, all but one requires using a drag lift...
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
shoogly, I've skied in Bardonecchia twice and both times the skiing on Jafferau was by far the best. The negative was that the only way up was on a very scary single chair that was very creaky and ancient. It may have been replaced now though
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
elcottero, without wishing to sound like a broken record, you could do worse than look at Serre Chevalier for another option - well liked by boarders, loads of natural bowls and good off-piste. About a 2-2.5 hour transfer from Turin. 250kms of piste, well linked and board down to resort level.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Have you looked at Pila?

Skiings ok and you could get an apartment down in Aosta and just get the gondala up to the resort (about 20 minutes).

Also can be used as a base to visit other resorts in the Aosta valley
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
To day trip the Maurienne valley resorts from Bardonecchia is a little pricey as you have to go backwards and forwards through the Frejus tunnel.

Bardonnechia does suffer occasionally from being on the wrong side of the ridge for snow. I would agree with Chasseur, and think of Serre Che or Montgenevre/Claviere or La Thuile as places with a decent quantity of skiing/boarding and not too pricey.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
T Bar wrote:
To day trip the Maurienne valley resorts from Bardonecchia is a little pricey as you have to go backwards and forwards through the Frejus tunnel.

Good point!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'd do Montgenevre over Bardonecchia - more skiing, higher resort, free day in Serre Chevalier. Not much further from Turin.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
another vote for serre chevalier. transfer time is prob around 2 hours not 2.5 hours
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

another vote for serre chevalier. transfer time is prob around 2 hours not 2.5 hours

Hear hear for Serre Che!! Discovered it last winter & went twice. Great, varied area. Very extensive. (Mind I'm a skier if that makes any difference Skullie..)

Stayed in Briancon (Hotel Vauban, 2 mins from gondola - very reasonable prices and flexible on dates). Briancon is quiet for apres ski - but good choice of places for food & drink.

Get chains if you are hiring a car - we needed 'em both times for the Col de Montgenevre - tho' we only had them the second time....VERY alarming ascent without chains....Shocked Drove from Bergamo - hour and a bit further than Turin, but ok.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Serre Chevalier, Montgenvre or Sauze d'Oulx sound like they'd suite you the best.

Sauze is the best for apres ski as you mentioned. But lacks snow at times.

Montgenevre will have the best snow by far of the resort mentioned.

Serre Chevalier is a big area, which is relatively snowsure.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Where did you decide on?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Where did you decide on?

I decided on Cervinia but staying in Valtournenche. Reasonable apartment cost 370 euro ( 4 sharing )..and a shared airport transfer £75 each return.
As it is possible to reach Cervinia from Valtournenche and return to Valtournenche on a long pisted descent it ticks all the right boxes.
snow report
This year Sauze has more snow than you could shake a stick at! Sauze would have my vote. if you have wheels then do a day in Montgenevre and one in Serre Che too. Way weather has been you will need chains tho.

http://www.vialattea.it/it/webcam.html
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy