Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Val d'Isere posse tries to take over the SCGB... ?

Poster: A snowHead
We have already done the changes to the Ski Club of Great Britain off-piste rules to death about this time last year.

The consensus seemd to be that it was a shame, but unsurprising given changes in litigation climate, the level of training of reps etc etc. Many reps said that actually it wouldn't make much difference to what they did. The manner of communication was certainly an issue - and perhaps could have been done more clearly. One thing that wasn't going to work was signing of waivers as these had little value in law.

Now a group of 4 chaps all from - I think - Val d'Isere - seem to have formed a lobby group aimed at trying to roll back the rules to what they were, to implement signing waivers etc etc etc. They have put four candidates up for the four council posts - leading to a total of 9 candidates - and I had heard a rumour that they already had a stack of proxy votes in the bag....

I think that the SCGBs communication could have been better - but the idea that the policy was not formed after decent advice - and that the idea of signing responsibility waivers was not discarded for a good reason - seems pushing it a bit.

Much that I think that an infusion of new blood is an idea - and indeed am tempted to vote for one of the candidates, I am not sure that what seems to me to be an attempt by a bunch of middle-aged male mates who all mainly ski in the same resort to take control of the club is in the best interests of any of us.

I don't really want to start another argument here - but do suggest that the many SCGB club members who are snowHeads look at the nominations section of the Annual report (mine arrived today) and even contribute to the debate in the Ski Club of Great Britain forum.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
stoatsbrother, I was wondering how long it would take to get over here. Good idea to alert members who might have missed it, though. I share your misgivings.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
stoatsbrother, Perhaps you should have posted this in the SCGB forum on here?
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewforum.php?f=14

The club doesn't do democracy very well does it? As exemplified by David Goldsmiths lifetime ban, with no appeal, time off for good behaviour, etc. from the club chatroom Sad
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Boredsurfing, I've been expecting you Mr Bored... wink

That forum - as you well know - is almost completely hidden... like the lost and found forum (which is lost). Admin is aware of this thread's existence. I would really prefer anyone for whom this is of interest to discuss the matter on the SCGB web forum. This is just a heads up.

I would be happy to discuss the DG issue with you by PM - I think it is a bit more complex than you say - and than you may be aware. And he hasn't been around here much has he?

Shall we see if we can keep this to a one page thread?

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 16-10-08 17:24; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
So, er, if that forum is "almost completely hidden", how come there appear to be some who can see it? And are there any others?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
stoatsbrother, Oh alright Sad I'll put my wooden spoon away Toofy Grin wink

Chasseur, It's in the 'Jump to:' drop down menu at the foot (bottom right) of every page for all to see Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
boredsurfin, well you live and learn....nearly five years and never even looked there rolling eyes Thanks for the explanation/eduction Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
so... we have here 4 blokes who go to Val d'I every year and, presumably, use the rep every year to take them off-piste every year. can't they remember where they went the year before and... like... go there themselves? Confused
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
is it a coup, insurrection, putsch, revolution or democracy in action...sounds exciting where do I join up...

I'm considering following Stoatsbrother over the top..are you with me??..

\just me then. rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Arno, I may have got the geography wrong.... and none of them have actually made clear what their standard of skiing is in their election statements, or the SCGB forum

Personally I think there should be an SCGB Gold Card which entitles you to the free services of a rep of your choice day and night Toofy Grin

cfc5mu0, darling - I've been over the top for years Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
cfc5mu0 wrote:
I'm considering following Stoatsbrother over the top..are you with me??..

That sounds to me like an organised going over the top, I'd need to check first with the LCGB (Lemming Club of Gerbil Botheres) to see if it's policy to go with others on such a basis.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
stoatsbrother, I was wondering what the big topics would be on SCGB this year.

Whenever I looked in the Forum seemed moribund.

I did not know DG had an official lifetime ban from posting. What was the source for that ?

I wonder if he will be at the AGM this year ?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Latchigo, I think someone who knows posted that info on here. The forum seems to be ticking over quietly.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have not followed the whole thread(s) but it seems that the Club wants those who desire off-piste to hire professional guides at additional cost.

Many already do that anyway via the club, especially on the dedicated off-piste days.

I am not sure you can expect off-piste guiding with the associated legal implications for a £50 a year subscription.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
well- given that resort costs are about £250000 and the number of skiers skiing per year with reps is less than 5000- could dispense with reps and have guides for nearly the same cost.-

Just a thought
latest report
anyway- having skied with most of the posse myself- all very nice and I will certainly be voting for them....

but why only one voting form when both me and the wife (and kids ) are members????
snow report
 brian
brian
Arno, Laughing Maybe the SKGB blindfolds them until they're at the top of the run ?
ski holidays
At times like this I really miss DG. A thread that should go for at least 95 pages will now peeter out in 3.
snow report
Bode Swiller, I think it needs Tim Brown and PJ skis as well as David Goldsmith to achieve that many pages Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Boredsurfing, I think TB and PJ are still around but in disguise - or so I'm told.
snow report
Bode Swiller, Oh well, hopefully the new sH software will make them all register again rolling eyes
or perhaps we will see him at the Ski show on the SKGB stand Toofy Grin
snow conditions
edsilva wrote:
well- given that resort costs are about £250000 and the number of skiers skiing per year with reps is less than 5000- could dispense with reps and have guides for nearly the same cost.-

Just a thought

Don't be silly then reps would have to pay for ski holidays just like the rest of us.
ski holidays
boredsurfin wrote:
or perhaps we will see him at the Ski show on the SKGB stand Toofy Grin

Stand will probably look something like this then.
snow conditions
Bode Swiller, I suspect you are right. I haven't worked out their current IDs... (Also looking for Arnold Lunn wink )

FenlandSkier, indeed...

Sad that I am - I have just been reading the Chairman's and CEs reports. It is very clear that they do not agree with the lobby group.

"I am obliged to say that council have received representations from this group and do not consider that their representations of the policy or its impacts are factual or accurate. Also, it would be inconsistent with the Club's statement of governance for the Council to become dominated by a special interest group...."

"Feedback from the season was generally positive, with the notable exception of some members who mostly ski in two specific resorts"

The simple question here is do we believe the Chairman and CE with their wider - and perhaps better informed - view of the situation - or the lobby group who are principally focused on their experiences in one out of nearly 40 rep resorts. In addition - can the lobby group members - with such a loaded agenda - work effectively with the Chair and CE?

Anyway - I would encourage all ski club of GB members of snowHeads to visit that forum, and think about things.
ski holidays
stoatsbrother, is there any more information follwing the death of a member whilst boarding with a rep in Ch ? Which I understand was the catalyst for this 'unrest' ?
latest report
Oooh lovely - a bit of intrigue! Almost makes me want to join up wink Toofy Grin
snow report
Boredsurfing, still ongoing with the Swiss authorities, I think from one post in the SCGB forum. Information from the Club is almost non-existent. To be fair, a low profile on this one is understandable whilst the Swiss investigation is taking polace.
ski holidays
achilles, Congratulations on your 10K Very Happy

How long ago was the tragic accident, it seems to be some time ago now?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
boredsurfin, you could join the club and we will tell you... Toofy Grin
snow report
stoatsbrother, I try to each year but can never find the rep!
snow report
boredsurfin, 2005/6 season, I think. Yes it does seem to be dragging on - if it is it must be stressful for all those involved, both in the SCGB (particularly the rep concerned) and the family of the deceased. Out of respect for both parties I suggest limiting discussion on the incident here (unless anything substantive is released) - it's been thrashed as much as it can be here already.

You are right to point out that I spend too much time here.
snow report
Boredsurfing, they hide when they see you coming...
ski holidays
achilles, I certainly was not encouraging discussion mereley inqusitive as to a conclusion. As you say it has been fully discussed here already.
snow conditions
stoatsbrother, Get back to your bonfire building!
ski holidays
Haven't read all of all the threads over there (life's too short) but there are some concerning views being expressed by some members of that group. I've only been a member 3 years and had never used the rep service until I went to Zermatt last year alone, it certainly improved the skiing and social side of the trip. I've also never voted in the AGM before but will do this time.
latest report
Colin B, could be worth it. I don't think the meeting will be boring. Wish ithe meeting was being live web-cammed Toofy Grin

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 17-10-08 10:53; edited 1 time in total
snow report
achilles wrote:
boredsurfin, 2005/6 season, I think.
It was April 07. All the same, seems like an inordinate amount of time to be investigating the incident. Apparently, that's still going on.

The Val D'Isere 4's idea of making people sign waivers is an interesting one. I went down a similar route on a project a few years ago. When it got run by the lawyers they told me that such waivers simply do not exonerate you from liability or responsibility. ie... they don't stand up in court! Worse, the court may take the view that the mere existance of a waiver somehow helps to the plaintiff's case.
snow report
Bode Swiller, yup, looking back, I must have got the season I quoted wrong. Thanks for the correction.
snow conditions
achilles, Don't think I'll attend but will vote by post.
ski holidays
Colin B, spoilsport. Razz
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy