Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

my bubbles burst.......

Poster: A snowHead
after being spoilt with cheap local flights from coventry to salzburg my bubble has been burst as thanks to thompsonfly they are no longer so....
help!!! where do i begin Im going to have to fly to geneve this is all very exciting an new so as a french virgin so to speak I would like....

shortish transfer from geneva (1-1 1/2hrs)
ski in ski out
good lift system
mountain huts
decent ski area
pretty resort

Is this possible ?
thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
La Clusaz?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Another vote for La Clusaz, but maybe also Les Gets, Grand Bornand, various Grand Massif resorts (Les Carroz, Samoens, Morillon - the others don't really address your 'pretty' requirement), Morzine and surrounding?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
http://www.j2ski.com/ski_resorts/Airports/Geneva.html

is handy....
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
this is starting to look promasing

we tend to go on 2x 5-6 night trips whats france like for getting split week accomadation?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
firebug, I have looked at the link its just that there are so many listed its quite good to get a snowheads opinion
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
tgd wrote:
we tend to go on 2x 5-6 night trips whats france like for getting split week accomadation?

Not brilliant, and almost impossible in mid- and peak-season in resorts themselves. Easier in nearby towns if you have a car, which also gives you the opportunity to sample a couple of different places on each trip. Although it's outside your travelling time from GVA (2hr 20m) Bourg St Maurice could be a good base for one of your trips giving you fairly easy access to a lot of different resorts in the Tarentiase such as Val d'Isere, Tignes, St Foy, La Rosiere, Les Arcs, La Plagne, etc.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
tgd, Like rob@rar, I doubt you will get a "good resort" that will split weeks for you. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, you may find something in non "recognised" resorts and you may get feedback from fellow snowHead s that know these places well enough to offer advice. I too think that you may be better off staying in a town like Bourg St Maurice and commuting to the snow!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
tgd, more and more owners are seeing the benefit of short breaks, I do it myself for my apartment, and rarely have a period that I can't manage to let out. I stick to peak weeks for February, but the remainder of the year is flexible.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Like Helen Beaumont I also offer a bit more flexibility about bookings. Although I have a 7-night minimum booking I'm happy to let people start their trip on any day of the week. Although more private owners seem to be doing this unfortunately it is still a small minority of the total number of property available. It was one of the reasons that we wanted to get a place of our own because it was very difficult to find accommodation other than Saturday-Saturday.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rob@rar, I think if the current financial crisis starts to bite hard, more will consider it. My minimum stay is just three nights, and I avoid Saturday arrivals and departures completely now.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Oh definitely! I really like the sound of La Clusaz, a friend has just bought there so we're looking forward to trying it out. Les Houches would also fit your bill (assuming they sort out their lift system bickering, which I'm sure they will), and so would St Gervais, I think.

French-owned places are often reluctant to split weeks, it's true, but it's far from impossible. I think you may find many people willing to be a bit more flexible this year, especially

edit - great minds, helen!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I like Chatel as well, which is very pretty (though it's in Switzerland isn't it?) . Not sure if it's ski-in/ski/out though.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I did find in the past couple of years, that so few owners/agencies were willing to offer anything other than weekend to weekend (usually Saturday) that they/we lost lots of potential business. Things ARE changing a little and more are willing to consider flexible breaks, odd start end days etc, but as you'd expect, not in peak weeks. As these generally sell themselves, that's not so much of a problem, but I do still get enquiries from clients who have paid a hefty sum for flights arriving on a Monday for example, in half term, and wondering why they can't find accommodation to match them.
snow conditions
 brian
brian
firebug, no Chatel is in France. Champéry and Morgins are in Switzerland. Contrary to received snowHead s wisdom, it is possible to actually go skiing in Switzerland from Geneva which, in a further and particularly shocking twist, is actually itself in Switzerland ! Shocked wink
ski holidays
brian wrote:
firebug, no Chatel is in France. Champéry and Morgins are in Switzerland. Contrary to received snowHead s wisdom, it is possible to actually go skiing in Switzerland from Geneva which, in a further and particularly shocking twist, is actually itself in Switzerland ! Shocked wink

My husband did used to think it was in Austria - he's never lived it down!
latest report
we are looking at the end of January hopefully it wont be too busy. The plan is to go sunday till friday flights are cheaper plus avoiding the hassel that is airports on a saturday
twice travelled saturdays ski boots lost both times!!
Ill just have to start emailing and hope some one can accomadate us
la clusaz does look good. We dont realy want to have to bus/car to the slopes
the search continues..
snow conditions
brian, thanks, I remember now, going up through Morgins with all the flags Smile
ski holidays
 brian
brian
tgd, Sunday till Friday in an apartment you'd be as well booking for the week, you probably won't save that much on the 2 nights.
snow report
tgd, you might also consider Les Contamines, I enjoyed it! It's a pretty spot up a closed valley in the shadow of Mont Blanc, village centre is about 1km from lifts, but there is quite a bit of accommodation near the lifts. You can ski back down most of the season.
snow report
tgd,
Quote:

Im going to have to fly to geneve this is all very exciting

You will not enjoy Geneva Airport. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
brian wrote:

Flew into GVA in Jan to go skiing im Morzine / PdS with a gang. One of the guys had a load of 'funny money' (swiss) with him, so we naturally ripped him quite hard. His reply was well we're flying to switzerland, i thought we'd Morzine would be in switzerland.

He's an airline pilot for one of the tour op cos....
snow conditions
Les gets - amazingly pretty village, very good ski area in its own right (and then you have the rest of the PDS) and very good lift system. Plus you have the brilliant Mont Ch... better not tell too many people about this bit!! Smile

Took about 1hr 25mins to gett here from geneva. have you looked BA for flights? Cheap, efficient and pleasant.
snow conditions
Ill look at Les Gets thanks.

Im I right in thinking most of the accomadation in france is chalets? If so can you get a room for just 2 people.

Anyone have any recomendations for Les Gets
Sorry so many questions but as I said the French experience is all new to me

cheers
snow report
tgd wrote:
Im I right in thinking most of the accomadation in france is chalets?

Not really. Lots of self-catering accommodation, especially in the purpose built resorts, chalets, hotels and B&Bs. A complete mix. The central accommodation agency in each resort is often a good place to start (check the Les Gets website for contact info).
snow conditions
tgd wrote:
Ill look at Les Gets thanks.

Im I right in thinking most of the accomadation in france is chalets? If so can you get a room for just 2 people.

Anyone have any recomendations for Les Gets
Sorry so many questions but as I said the French experience is all new to me

cheers

There are plenty of catered chalets where you just book a room and share the property with others. This can work very well for some people - less well for others! If you don't want catered or prefer not to be with 'strangers', you can find small apartments or studios, but not so much for just a weekend or odd arrival/departure days. There are always hotels of course, but they tend to be more expensive IME

I don't have any properties for just two in Les Gets, but if you want to drop me a PM (personal message - top right) I can give you a contact to try Very Happy
ski holidays
tgd - If your interested in Les Gets, try www.mrski.co.uk. I know the chap who runs two chalets, although I've never stayed there (never any vacancies at Feb half-term - repeat bookings!!), I worked with him (Mal) a few years ago - top bloke. It may be worth a look.

Regards - Dave
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy