Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jungfrau Ski region

Poster: A snowHead
So is the answer then getting a taxi from Bern airport to Lauterbruunen the cheapest option ?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Chris Brookes, no the cheapest option depends on how many are travelling

1 to 3 = Train
4 + Probably hire car

However Taxi comes in quite close for 4 + travelling compared to hire car and train, it is definately the fastest option if it's waiting for you when you get there as the driver will know the routes off by heart I'd guess about 50 mins journey time compared to self drive of about 1 hour 20 which is what it took me a couple of years ago when I went there to pick some friends up.

Actually there is potentially an even cheaper way, ask a local friend if they'll pick you up wink
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I had thought about that option wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Breaking news - Lauterbrunnen - Grutchalp funicular to be replaced..... from Jungfrau Railways:

The Parliament of Canton Bern wants to replace the existing funicular between Lauterbrunnen and Grütschalp with an aerial cableway at the same location. The Directorate of Transport and Energy has been authorized to submit a resolution on this decision. A parliamentary decision is expected to be taken in autumn 2005

Parliament examined various options on the replacement of the existing funicular between Lauterbrunnen and Grütschalp, before deciding that construction of an aerial cableway in the same place would be the best solution. In comparison to a funicular, an aerial cableway is simpler to realise in building technology terms and more economical to maintain. Parliament has authorized the Directorate of Building, Transport and Energy to submit a resolution on this decision. A parliamentary decision on the matter is expected to be taken in autumn 2005

The Stechelberg-Mürren-Schilthorn Aerial Cableway, the funicular from Lauterbrunnen to Grütschalp and its connecting small-gauge railway from Grütschalp to Mürren provide public transport services to the traffic-free mountain village of Mürren. Replacement of the existing funicular is necessary because the slope is unstable. Since it was laid, the middle section of the track has moved two and a half metres sideways and three metres towards the valley. In 1999 the funicular had to be temporarily switched off because of an exceptionally large amount of slope movement. Serious damage occurred again last winter. The Swiss Federal Office for Transport has thus definitely limited operating permission to 31 July 2006. An aerial cableway will span the unstable area and the supporting pylons and cable will have a far greater tolerance to slope slip.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Its a real shame but it needs to be replaced. To think it has been in operation since 1891 !. I wonder what they will do with the huge forklift machine at Grutschalp which tansfers the luggage etc from the funicular to the train.It must have cost a bit !!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Added a picture to 'my photo gallery' of the view looking down the tracks to Lauterbrunnen from Grutschalp,taken in March 02
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It will be interesting to see what form the cablecar will take, the cablecar will not have to be very high off the ground but it will need to take up goods in much the same way as the funicular does at the moment
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The one from Stechelberg to Murren doesnt carry much luggage as they have a seperate one for that so i wonder if they will do the same.It will be very interesting eitherway and i hope they take pictures of the building of this new cablecar. So this could be the last year i use it....
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just looking at the Crystal 05/06 Ski brochure and they are now flying into Berne from Stansted or Manchester plus you can by seat only !!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I think im coming down with a ski fever....excuse my post after post problem Laughing
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It's obviously down to all my postings about Wengen, demand has gone through the roof Laughing
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
D G Orf, Can't understand why,its only Wengen....not Murren...lol

Just been looking at the Beatenberg website http://www.beatenbergbilder.ch/ showing in detail (loads of pictures) the removal of the old and the replacement of a new funicular.The project started in Oct 04 and finished on the 1st July 05.My german is limited at the moment (as you know David !) but the pictures are enough to understand the lengths they had to go through to replace it..

I hope someone has the time to cover the replacing of the BLM funicular.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Chris Brookes, great website, I seem to recall that the Beatenberg is unusual in that it turnes a corner as it goes up the hill. It's a great trip in the summer but it must of been about 10 years since I last went up it.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
D G Orf, yup,you are correct a few of the pictures show how they worked around that corner as it goes up the hill.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
To think this and the other thread on the Jungfrau Region are getting so much use and its only July !! Sad
snow conditions
Chris Brookes wrote:
To think this and the other thread on the Jungfrau Region are getting so much use and its only July !! Sad

It's only actually the two of you Very Happy
ski holidays
ise, in the standard pantomime words Oh no it isn't Laughing
ski holidays
ise, lol
D G Orf, lol
snow conditions
ise, it is however predominantly just the two of us Cool
ski holidays
D G Orf, does that make us kind of anoraks to the Jungfrau Region... Laughing

On another note i wish the website http://www.beo-news.ch/ (Berner Oberland News) had an english version to it as my german is coming on very slowly ..
snow report
You could just use one of the translation pages, they tend to get most of it correct and you can decipher the rest which is what I do wink
snow report

an Eigar Anorak Very Happy
latest report
ise, ha ha Laughing

or are we just obsessed Puzzled Laughing
ski holidays
Since last reported by telford_mike on the 4th July o5 things have moved forward. They will start the construction in April 06 and have it ready hopefully by Christmas 06.

Thanks for D G Orf translating the german for me. snowHead snowHead
snow report
Chris Brookes, no they hope to start construction in April 06 Cool
snow report
They hope to start construction in April 06 .... Laughing Laughing
snow report
Has it started to snow yet ? is it getting colder ??.....shame Confused
latest report
At last,ive got the link to work for 'my photo gallery'
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
D G Orf,

Did you know you can see my friends' chalet in your photo of the Alpenrose on your website.
latest report
beanie1, The one of the Alpenrose or the one from it's window ?
snow report
D G Orf,

The one of the Alpenrose. It's on the far right of the photo - Chalet Bargfink.
snow conditions
Ah very nice and easy to ski back to as well, although 20 years ago you could have skied out in the morning as there used to be a t-bar lift going up the Brunner slopes just 25M from its door, sadly the demand was just not there to keep it going Sad
snow report
I know - my dad stayed at the Alpenrose a few times when he was a little boy so told me all about that lift.
snow conditions
beanie1, now that's making me feel old Sad
latest report
Oh, he's a lot older than you - I think we're talking about in the late 50s early 60s that he stayed there.

I have only stayed in the Alpenrose twice, we mainly stayed in the Falken when I was little. More recently I just became a frequent house guest at Chalet Bargfink!
snow report
beanie1, Ok Laughing By the way I stay in the Alpenrose annex the Chalet Rossen (the big wooden chalet just down the footpath from the Bargfink)
ski holidays
I know the one. When I walk up to the village I walk along the footpath that goes past it and across the terrace of the Alpenrose.

Isn't that staff quarters?!!
latest report
beanie1, Only in the basement, the ground floor is the flat of the owners, the first and second floors on the south side have some extra guest rooms, 9 beds in total 3 single rooms and 3 double/twin rooms of which I usually get the smallest (but cheapest) which is how I can afford to stay out there for so many weeks, it's nice actually as it's slightly quieter than the main hotel and the views are wonderful, watching the sun light up the mountain ridge on the other side of the valley is my favorite way of waking up in the morning
ski holidays
D G Orf, you feel old.... Laughing Laughing
latest report
Would you call your new born baby (if a boy) Eiger ??
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy