Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jungfrau Ski region

Poster: A snowHead
kathyborn, hey they're my friends as well as my favorite hotel, I like to see that they get good bookings as that ensures the continued survival of the hotel Cool
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Chris, you realise we are probably going to be on the same plane!!!!!!!!!! Shocked

I wonder if we will recognise each other!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think I may be able to predict some possitive replies, bearing in mind the contributors to this thread, but I'm trying to persuade a large group (at least 19 but probably 23) not to venture over the Atlantic again next year but to try Europe.

As the group consists of six families all with young children our priorities are good accomodation in rooms that sleep four, ski-in ski-out, car free and a pool for the children to play in. The skiing terrain only becomes a factor after the other points have, preferably, been covered - but it would be nice to avoid too many drag lifts.

After my trawl through various brochure, the Sunstar at Wengen seems to fill all criteria - so long as the maths/discounts work out too.

Would you care to comment on the sutability of the resort and/or the Sunstar.

Many Thanks

Marc
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
marc gledhill, I've never stayed in the Sunstar....but they do a nice hot chocolate!!

The hotel is about 2 mins walk from the station and about 1 min from the cable car.....so it's handy for transport. Wengen is a great place......but then I would say that snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
marc gledhill, before I'd even got to the lines
Quote:

After my trawl through various brochure, the Sunstar at Wengen seems to fill all criteria - so long as the maths/discounts work out too.

I was already thinking of the Sunstar, it's right on the high street in the middle of Wengen, approximately 30 seconds walk from the Cable Car and under 2 minutes from the railway station, it's not quite ski in ski out but it is very close, the nursery slopes are right next to the cable car station as is the ice rink and the ski shops are all very close as well.

Wengen is an ideal resort for intermediates, good for beginners but not brilliant for advanced skiers though there are potentially nice areas for off piste.

Night life is also limited but I guess that won't be a huge issue wink

There are a few drag lifts arround but you don't have to use them to enjoy almost the whole area.

If you have any spcific questions about the area just ask Little Angel
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
marc gledhill, your priorities -
Quote:

As the group consists of six families all with young children our priorities are good accomodation in rooms that sleep four, ski-in ski-out, car free and a pool for the children to play in. The skiing terrain only becomes a factor after the other points have, preferably, been covered - but it would be nice to avoid too many drag lifts.

Have you thought of looking at Murren as it has all of the above and more !! (without knocking Wengen too much)

Hotel choice : Hotel Jungfrau...Excellent food,clean,very good and friendly staff http://www.hoteljungfrau.ch/
Rooms : that can sleep 4 +
location : Ski-in & out plus 5ft from one of the nursery slopes
Car free : alot more than Wengen now(sry wengen fans)
Pool : large indoor swimming pool with all the extras aswell (free of charge when you stay at the hotel,located 3mins from hotel)
Ice Rink : Outside Ice rink (small hiring charge ) http://www.wengen-muerren.ch/sportzentrum/seiten-e/frame-e.htm
Drag lift : 3 t-bar,1 button and the rest chairlifts
Snow sure : Murren village 1650m.......Wengen 1274m http://www.wengen-muerren.ch/index.php?id=44&lang=en
Runs : ideal for intermediates, good for beginners

Hope that gives you food for thought wink
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Inga, lol

I'm doing night stop in Gatwick then getting the first flight out to Switzerland then training it to Murren,will be on the slopes by 3pm.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm doing night stop to Gatwick too then first flight to Switzerland! I aim to be on the slopes by about 3ish too!!!!! Shocked
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
BA or Flybe to Gatwick ?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ummmm, not sure to be honest! My mum booked the tickets....I do knhow that it is at 20.15
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
BA,me too .. snowHead
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Well snowhead, here's to happy hols - Little Angel I'd better finish packing now...!!!! You won't miss us, we are the mad mother and daughter team who will doubtlessly be bickering at each other!!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi! I'm new to the site and love the fact that Wengen is such a popular spot amongst all of you. I went to Wengen for the first time last year and aboslutely loved it. My family and I loved it so much that we're headed back next week! We too stay at Alpenrose and love everything about it, truly a wonderful atmosphere.

Now does anyone have any updates on the snow/weather conditions? How do they compare to last season? Also, does anyone know how the ski prices in Switzerland compare to the US? I'm in the market for a new set of skis and was wondering if I'd find better deals in Switzerland. A friend of mine and I are going over early (next Wednesday) and will be touring between Zurich and Interlaken for a few days. I plan to hit a few ski shops to see if I can find any deal worth jumping on.

This is a great site and I look forward to any responses.

Thanks!

ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hokie1, hi and welcome to snowheads, by the way whilst we have no problems with you putting in the odd picture from time to time we do prefer you to keep them small, no more than a couple of hundred pixels each way is good.

Conditions in the area at the moment are very good, definately better than this time last year, as to prices I would guess that they will be cheapest in the US but you may discover some bargins at this time of year in Switzerland
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hokie1, welcome to snowHeads snowHead
latest report
My apologies for the large picture. I didn't get a chance to shrink the image prior to posting and wanted to include a pic from my trip to Wengen last year. Won't happen again. Very Happy

Wow, if you say the snow is better this year compared to last, I can't even begin to imagine how great the skiing is going to be! We ski from 13.3 - 19.3...and it can't get here soon enough! Excluding today, only 2.5 days left of work and then we're off to the airport. We're flying from Dulles to Zurich and then catching a train to Wengen. Any recommendations on places to visit or stay between Zurich and Interlaken?
snow conditions
Hokie1 - welcome to snowHeads snowHead

I am off there tomorrow for a week and may see you in the vicinity!

Been looking up the 6 day snow forecasts and can confirm that its very cold there, approx -8-10 at resort level and light snow is expected on saturday, sunday and early next week. Conditions are excellent, all lifts are open as of now. The very best conditions are in Murren 110cm at bottom and 240cm at top; excellent on-piste; powder off-piste; and good on resort runs.

I would hazard to say that conditions are much better than last year and it looks like that there is a very solid base laid down and the season will be extended into April ( and longer if it keeps snowing! ).

Enjoy your holiday in the Jungfrau region and let's hope there will be some sunshine.
ski holidays
Hokie1, if looking for bargins in ski gear in Interlaken, go to interlaken West station and take the road across the bridge over the river, there's quite a large sports shop that often has very good deals about 150yds up the road on the left side of the street, ski stuff is mostly downstairs

As for places to stop off at Lucern is a great city as is Bern
ski holidays
Hokie1, I'm going to be skiing there that same week! This is our first trip over the big pond for skiing and we are excited. It's nice to hear that conditions are good, as we have been struggling here in Montana this year. Only one more week to go!! Laughing
ski holidays
adventuremyers wrote:
Hokie1, I'm going to be skiing there that same week! This is our first trip over the big pond for skiing and we are excited. It's nice to hear that conditions are good, as we have been struggling here in Montana this year. Only one more week to go!! Laughing

You're going to absolutely love it! I've skied New England (White Face & Jay's Peak) along with the Pacific Northwest (Crystal Mtn) and there is nothing like skiing in the Jungrau Region. Not only is the skiing amazing but the atmoshphere of Wengen is truly breathtaking. Oh, and the food and drinks, you can't beat it! I don't know how I'm going to get through work the first half of next week, this week was bad enough! Very Happy
snow report
Hokie1, welcome !
snow report
Inga, Im not packing yet so we must be getting different flights..

Hope you have a great time snowHead
ski holidays
Hi,
Just got back from Wengen . Best week we've ever had. Great snow Blue skies Heaven! The Alpenrose was as good as ever- nothing too much trouble. Strange thing though- one train cancelled (from Interlaken Ost) and the one we did get was delayed. Unheard of!!! We almost missed our flight back home. Come to think of it would that have been a hardship Puzzled snowHead
snow report
trains being cancelled....Very rare in Switzerland.I'm glad you had a great time

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 10-03-05 12:36; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
who are you cos i know all those people in the dho photos jeremy beanie and collin or coco the clown for nickname
snow report
Off to Murren this weekend to catch the last of the good snow and weather ...and i can't wait snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
Sad I'm stuck here ... Oh well maybe next year Little Angel
latest report
Chris Brookes wrote:
Off to Murren this weekend to catch the last of the good snow and weather

I hope not. I'm planning on there being good snow & weather when I'm there in April NehNeh
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Elizabeth B, im sure there will be Blush
ski holidays
Snowing again in Wengen tonight, it's quite clear on the roofs wink
latest report
As promised here is the report :

Just back from Grindelwald; excellent snow in Jungfrau area; best in many years, week started very cold and snowing for two days then sunshine for the past 5 days, was not snowing today at 10:30am when our group left the hotel but snow was expected later on in the day to be followed by sunshine.

Best conditions were in Murren. Went there at by bus ( 30 mins ) 8:30am a few days back and skied the Schiltorn black ( red really ! ) run which was in perfect condition, fresh powder, no ice, perfect visibility, cablecar now open but takes a while to go to the top.

Most difficult run a real black run was the Oh God ( no. 27 ) run from the top of Eigergletchner. Scored a time of 77.66 kph on the speed trail run, good fun but a very hairy final end to the schuss. Did the world cup run including the famous Hunschup ( spel? ) not difficult, pistes were in excellent condition and lovely powder each side of the piste. Got caught up in the long boring run down to Lauterbrunnen, an eternity of slow schuss, avoid if possible by getting the train down from Winteregg. The apple fritters at Brandegg are indeed good and recommendable as DGO has said.

Found the First area boring, no real challenges and above the treeline mainly. Run no 16 ( black ) seems to be closed off as none of our group could find it. Is it a narrow gully that was closed off because of heavy snow and danger? A recommended run which we did not do was the no2 unpisted route from the top of Oberjoch which comes across to join blue 8 and a large open mogel field - the only IMO challenge in the First area. Red 22 down to finish the day ( and the week! ) at the Rancher bar is recommended, we were told that red 23, although it looks like a nice long run on the piste map involves a lot of poleing/walking. Snow was best in Murren area. Overall good for intermediates, but little challenge for expert skiers, but there was lots of powder off-piste to compensate. The hotel owners said that the conditions were the best in many years. Surprisingly the pistes were not that busy as the period was after last month's half-terms and easter to come in a couple of weeks.

One major gripe - piste marking is terrible - we set out on a particular run and got lost several times on all sides of the mountain. Very easy to overshoot your intended destination!. Suggest that ( like Austria - Bad Gastein ) that all poles should have the piste numbers marked on them to distinguish merging runs of similar colour but having different destinations.

Mountain restaurants of note - most of the ones at the lift stations are recommendable. In particular we liked the Mannlichen station restaurant. It is a buffet but the food is excellent and there is a very large area to sit outside in the sun. The First station restaurant also is good as is Schreckfeld.

Good places to finish the day are the Brandegg or Rancher bar - both near the bottom of the Kleine Scheidegg and First areas respectively.

Stayed at the Eiger Hotel in Grindelwald. Mainly good, but note it is on the main street and was very noisy on the first night - Saturday, so much so that I lodged a complaint at 1:30am to stop the noise from a club across the road. Do not take a room at the front to avoid the noise ( weekends ) but the rear rooms are OK I am told. I took a rather good group photo when I will soon be emailing to the Eiger which they want to include in their website.

Other activites - curling was good fun at the sports centre. SC rep. was based at the Regina.
snow report
Chris Brookes, I don't know why I got it into my head that you were flying the same day as me, but anyway the guy I thought was you must have wondered why this strange girl was staring at him trying to work out if it was you!!!!

I had a great time, thanks for all your advice and hints about the area. We never made it over to Murren but others in the group did and I heard great reports about the skiing there. I will definitely return to the area, I've fallen in love with it!!!!!

Inga
ski holidays
Anyone in the area on the 26th of March might like to investigate the following

It's going down the world cup slalom course from Allmend to Innerwengen, 20CHf entry for an individual with what looks to be 2,500 Chf prize money up for grabs
ski holidays
D G Orf wrote:
whilst we have no problems with you putting in the odd picture from time to time we do prefer you to keep them small, no more than a couple of hundred pixels each way is good.

Pot and kettle, springs to mind there DG!!! wink Laughing Laughing
snow report
Hey DG, did you notice that Ronan Keating is going to sing sometime in April - what a shame we missed it!!!!!
latest report
Michelle, any smaller and you wouldnt be able to read the text Embarassed Hokei's original pic was 872 pixels wide which can cause some screens to have problems which was the main reason for the previous comment
snow conditions
Inga, Second of April lunchtime/early afternoon at Kleine Scheidegg
ski holidays
That's right, with someone called Reamonn....what a place to have a concert - fab
snow conditions
Inga, Th first one I think was done on the Mannlichen which is an even more dramatic location but it's more prone to high winds so now they use Kleine Scheidegg
latest report
It's strange you say that because everyone I was with last week preferred the Mannlichen location to that of Kleine Schiedegg, but I have such a soft spot for Schiedegg now - aaaah, wish I was back there!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy