Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski-kit advice & Objectives...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Ok I'll fess up to being a darksider..but also one that wants to be able to ski to reasonable level..why well

a) If you're in mixed groups that are pedominately skiers then it's nice to able to ski with them. Yes you can do it on a board, but then all the skiers faff about at the top of the mountain, say go here and sod off down the slope whilst you're just sitting down then it can be hard to catch them
b) Icy conditions on a board are horrible
c) It's an excuse to get more kit..
d) It's a challenge.. and I'm a bit old for going down the park rats route..

I've done a couple of weeks on skis so far, but about 3-4 years ago - 1x week with NewGen in C1650 which was amazing. Got into to paralleling and could do the blues comfortably. Then had a 1/2 term ESF'mare in les menuires, where I was admittedly probably the worst in the group but the instructor was just la vache. I managed to have a blazing row with her within about 90 minutes of the first lesson and I'm normally quite nice really...

I will be in les arcs for the season. I have all the board kit and will be doing some / quite a lot of boarding, but I need to progress my skiing. I will be looking to Newgen (again) in Vallandry for instructions for a couple of weeks and maybe 1x more refresher. I'm reasonably fit (working on it hard at the mo) and won't be working in the resort so can maximise my slope time. I want to be able to set myself a challenge of being able to ski "all the reds in resort - in all conditions" by the end of the trip - does that sound achievable, with perhaps the exception of Malgovert

So on that basis I need some kit as I dont' have boots, poles or skis currently. What do people suggest - I'm not neccessarily looking for ski x or ski y. Should I rent for a couple more weeks just to make sure I really do / can get back into it. S&R are doing a less than £300 head package which was quite tempting, but will I find that too restricting if/ when I start getting better. Do I go to one of the 'snowheads gurus' to get some decent boots fitted or won't I notice the difference at this level. I'm keen to support my local shops in resort, but if there's white stuff on the ground and it's the start of the season, spending 2-3 hours on a boot-fitting is not going to be that appealing. What about skis - personally I don't see the point in buying new at my level, so for how long will the resort shops have some 'last seasons' skis around? I can't even remember what length I had when I last skieed - I take a 161cm board if that helps..

Too many random questions but views, comments, wee wee-taking, advice gratefully received...
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
bertie bassett wrote:
Should I rent for a couple more weeks just to make sure I really do / can get back into it.

yes
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
buying new kit is always fun...though yeah maybe hire a few more times, at least it gives you a starting point when it comes to buying..you'll know what you want in a boot or ski and what you dislike.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
bertie bassett, the boot fitting can be done after the lifts close. Your challenge of skiing all reds in all conditions within a season, is very achievable. Good luck. Cool
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Test a few things and then buy stuff. And do it in resort - there will be loads of ex-rental/last season's kit deals about at the beginning of the season.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
As others say, I'd rent for a couple more weeks at least and probably try out some different skis so that you know vaguely what you want when you come to buy. Boots are the thing to buy before skis and I'd get them properly fitted after my experience of buying some boots from some muppet in England and them never fitting properly.

As for your aim of skiing all the reds by the end of the season, depends on how fast you progress and how much skiing you do whilst out there but I'd have thought (especially judging on your description of how well you're taking to it) that it's a fairly safe bet that you'll be skiing all the reds and most of the blacks by the end of the season. It does depends a lot on how well you take to it. I skied a couple of black runs on my first week of skiing (totally mental instructor, not sure if you could actually describe how I got down them as skiing really). My OH still can't do a blue after three weeks. My sister still can't do all reds after about 6 weeks of skiing but that's more to do with fear than ability.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
bertie bassett, you will notice the ski boot difference immediately.

IMO, boot fit and your physical conditioning at the start of the season will be the two largest factors in your skill progress (two largest that aren't in your head, that is). Third largest is choice of instructor.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for the feedback guys.

I think I will wait until I get out there, then get some rentals for a couple of weeks and see how I get on.

40 something sleeps to go.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy