Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Plagne 2008/2009 Press briefing

Poster: A snowHead
The La Plagne 2008/2009 Press briefing is now on line
http://www.presse-laplagne.com/info_detail.php?id=874&lang=en
It's a 20 page pdf file.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Boredsurfing, What does it say?
-no snow so we're not opening this year?
-does it feature the Paradiski challenge?

wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Interesting to see in the 'Facts and Figures' section that the resort covers approximately 10,000 hectares, as well as quoting the usual 225km of pistes. Makes it easier to compare with North American resorts who tend to use area rather than piste length.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
According to http://www.perso-laplagne.fr/Actualites.htm
two slopes are black for the coming season
pistes L'Esselet and la Malatray.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Boredsurfing, why were they re-graded?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
rob@rar, No idea perhaps considered to difficult to be reds Confused
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Boredsurfing, and I bet you read all 20 pages eh??
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mouth, no of course not Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Boredsurfing,
Quote:

It's a 20 page pdf file.

That's not an inducement for me to read it Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
rob@rar wrote:
Interesting to see in the 'Facts and Figures' section that the resort covers approximately 10,000 hectares, as well as quoting the usual 225km of pistes. Makes it easier to compare with North American resorts who tend to use area rather than piste length.

That's over 24,000 acres! Aspen and Vail only claim just over 5,000 acres of trails each! Do you think the La Plagne figure refers to the pisted area or the total area owned by the lift company? Or is it really 5 times the size of the Colorado resorts?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Boredsurfing wrote:
rob@rar, No idea perhaps considered to difficult to be reds Confused

So where's L'esselet? I've found Malatray. Can say I've done either of them (yet) but they'll be on my list this year.

IIRC La Chiaupe was a realy pig of a red with fat moguls when I last did it - for me the 'hardest red' I'd done - i seem to remember seeing a sign saying "tres difficile" or someting similar near the top.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
bertie bassett, L'esselet is closer to Montchavin along the same face as Malatray. IMHO Both are dependent on very good snow cover.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
luigi wrote:
rob@rar wrote:

That's over 24,000 acres! Aspen and Vail only claim just over 5,000 acres of trails each! Do you think the La Plagne figure refers to the pisted area or the total area owned by the lift company? Or is it really 5 times the size of the Colorado resorts?

Had a look at the pdf file and can answer my own question, the area of the marked pistes is 730ha which converts to just over 1,800 acres, this must be the figure to compare with US resorts. Although, I remember La Plagne as having a lot of open snowfields above the tree-line with off-piste potential that wouldn't be included in this figure, so that would complicate the comparison further.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Boredsurfing wrote:
bertie bassett, L'esselet is closer to Montchavin along the same face as Malatray. IMHO Both are dependent on very good snow cover.

Interesting and no wonder why I couldn't find it - according to my '01 piste map that I had knocking around that was a blue run..current PDF shows red and now it's being upgraded to a black..perhaps its a snow cover thing...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
luigi wrote:
That's over 24,000 acres! Aspen and Vail only claim just over 5,000 acres of trails each!

I though North American resorts quoted total in-bounds area rather than acres of trails? In fact, isn't it much easier to measure length of trails or do they measure how wide they are as well?
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
luigi wrote:
That's over 24,000 acres! Aspen and Vail only claim just over 5,000 acres of trails each!

I though North American resorts quoted total in-bounds area rather than acres of trails? In fact, isn't it much easier to measure length of trails or do they measure how wide they are as well?

You're right, that does sound silly! It must be total in-bounds area and La Plagne must cover over 4 times the area of Vail and Aspen! If that sounds right?
snow conditions
luigi, it would seem right iirc, although with the addition of Blue Sky basin and all the trails off there, I would have thought Vail was slightly bigger these days.

But certainly I would agree the European mega-resorts are far bigger than anything I've skied in NA: Keystone, Brek, Vail, Beaver, Whistler.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy