Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What changes do I need to make to my skiing to ski on plastic?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I am (perhaps foolishly) planning to ski on Norwich's artifical slopes this weekend and wondered what advice you could give about differences required in technique compared with skiing on the real stuff.
I must admit to being somewhat apprehensive as when I last did it (about 15yrs ago at Southampton) I fell and managed to hurt both thumb bases at the same time Sad
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nick L, IMHO too close to the ski season to risk a dry slope Smile Confused
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Top Tip: don't fall over Wink

Only adjustment really is to not try and get the kind of edge angles you can get on snow, as grip is much harder to get and sustain. You'll also go quite a bit slower than on real snow, so again just take it easy to start with until you find your balance so you don't end up falling to the inside of the turn. Imagine that you're skiing on slow ice and you'll be fine. It is fun....honest!

And in case the worst does happen - wear old tatty clothes you don't mind getting scuffed (i.e. not your nicest Gore-tex), and do you have any skateboarding knee/elbowpads/gloves?

The setup at Norwich is great.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Nick L, There isn't as much grip - but there is some ! Be sensitive and you'll find it.
Quote:

slow ice

is a perfect description ! Laughing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks GrahamN and ski, I will treat it like
Quote:

slow ice

I have some wrist protectors that I think I will wear as well. Previous experience tells me that hip protectors (like they give to old ladies who fall a lot!) would also be valuable.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
If possible, go in the evening as the slope runs better in the damp evening air. Don't start from the top on your first runs, start from the blue, then red to build confidence before progressing to the top. I like to do some balance exercises such as "bunny hops" or "1000 steps" from the lower parts of slope to get confidence up and balance right. I think people's problems with dry slopes is a psychological thing, the fear of falling over can make them too defensive and sit back on their tails and consequently feel out of control. Start cautiously, get your balance right and you'll soon start whizzing down and having great fun.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
the first advice was the best- really - don't fall over
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Nick L, If you fall make a fist. I'd go for a slow run of Snowplough turns first to get the feel of things.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Nick L, As ennalsj, says, evening is best at the moment - we'll be there from about 8:30 on Sunday. If you go in the daytime pray for a steady drizzle! The slope does have a pretty good misting system, so it's not too bad as long as it isn't sunny and windy. Don't worry too much about falling over - the vast majority of falls cause no lasting damage!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
RobinS, it looks we're going to be there Sunday morning too - if you see an old git wearing orange boots and a red helmet it's me!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Nick L, It's 8.30 in the evening I'll be skiing! I'll be there in the morning supervising tubing on the intermediate slope, and in the afternoon looking after the ski and boot room!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
RobinS, I'll look out for you and the tubes! Unfortunately due to our commitments over the weekend (and the need to get home!) we can't come in the evening.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Nick L, You'll be fine, and it's fun - honest. Very Happy Plastic is really only a problem either if you rotate and skid for your turns (which you don't much), or if you expect it to be like nice piste in mid winter. At first though, it does feel as though you can't get enough speed to ski at all!! You get used to it, and if Richard can do it, so can you .... (now, where's the wind up smily???)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ta Charlotte
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
easiski, Puzzled

Nick L, IMHO skiing is skiing and I think most people will enjoy it regardless of surface - I certainly do. I don't attempt to change my technique (not hard when you don't have much) for plastic but obviously the surface is very different to snow and I find it requires concentration and more precise effort for the same results than you may need on snow. I think the 'slow ice' analogy is good.

I definitely agree with GrahamN's top tip - don't fall over Toofy Grin

See you on Friday.
latest report
For anybody that is interested, I did ski on Dendix yesterday, for the first time for approx 15 years.
My impression was that it was:
1. Very slow (i.e. not very slippy despite waxing the hire skis at the top of every run)
2. Better skied with a bit of velocity rather than too slowly and cautiously
3. Fun - but the slope needed to be about 3x longer!

I didn't fall and hence all appendages are intact Shocked

Incidentally, we did manage to meet up briefly with RobinS - hi again.
ski holidays
Nick L, Good to see you there, if you were using the club skis it's not surprising it was slow - especially during the day. With our own skis we wax them every two to four sessions, I don't think the club ones have been waxed this century! (seems like it anyway!). Compared with snow though, it is always going to be slow. Agree with you about keeping the speed up as well.

Robin
snow report
Nick L, Told you so! Glad you enjoyed it. Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy