Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Car hire

Poster: A snowHead
anyone any tips for car hire from zurich or even better any nice discount codes, please
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Try this. It almost always comes out the cheapest when I compare prices for hire from Geneva or Lyon.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
thanks rob-link is cheaper than going through the standard holiday autos site. Does anyone know in switzerland whether ski racks come as standard without the need to pre book ie by pre booking do you pay for a ski rack that'll likely be on there anyway.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
dan100, snow chains, winter tyres, motorway vignette all come as standard. Ski racks are extra (usually it's the magnetic type, so watch you don't scratch the paint).
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
brian wrote:
snow chains...

With most but not all companies. I think Budget charge extra (was the case for me two or three times last season), although Alamo always seem to have them in the car regardless of whether you pay extra for winter equipment.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
rob@rar, slightly off-topic, since this is an enquiry about Geneva rather than Zurich, am I right to infer from this and the gazillion other threads that come up on searching, that it is best to hire from the Swiss side, even if driving to a French resort (Les Arcs, as it happens wink ) and even though it may be a bit cheaper from the French side? I'm asking this question at the risk of seriously annoying Boredsurfing - I have searched lots of other threads, honest, just wanted to make sure I had drawn the right conclusion.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hurtle, I've never hired from the French side but I know several people who have and it has never been a happy experience. The route into and out of the airport is much more complicated than from the Swiss side, so there is a strong possibility of getting lost (I know several who have). Also, and perhaps more importantly, Swiss rentals come with winter tyres as standard reducing the chance that you will have to use the dreaded snow chains. For me those two factors are worth the extra cost of hiring on the Swiss side.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob@rar, exactly what I thought. I hope this helps other people who are planning their travel, and that Boredsurfing won't be too cross with me for going over old ground. Thanks!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
and the cars on the swiss side come in better colours, but thats just an opinion Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
rob@rar, oh, I've just thought, do the Swiss provide the reflective jacket? Don't know if that's already required in Switzerland. [Edit: I've looked on the AA site now, reflective jackets apparently not compulsory in Switzerland. Guess I'll have to buy one then.]
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hurtle, IIRC some of the rental agencies were selling reflective jackets last season (alongside a sign which said they were compulsory in Italy).
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

some of the rental agencies were selling reflective jackets last season

Found 'em online at Discount Office Products for £2-something inc P&P - but have since bought at Wickes DIY shop for £3.49 as needed for this weekend ( Very Happy Tignes trip).
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
mountainaddict, thanks! I've now found another thread (blimey, there are an awful lot of car hire threads!) which says that you can get them at the Pound shop, but I haven't got one near me.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yellow jackets are often found in pound shops for £1.00 Very Happy
or they are available from French motorway service areas for around €7
and remember it must be in the car not the boot! Presumably the now compulsory warning triangle is allowed in the boot.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
A fortnight ago we hired a car from the Swiss side of Geneva and drove into France. booked through holiday autos. It was from Alamo and I noticed that it did not supply a yellow reflective vest as required under French law! (It did include winter tyres and snow chains, plus warning triangle tho)
snow report
Hurtle, Thanks for finding this bit!
Quote:

[Edit: I've looked on the AA site now, reflective jackets apparently not compulsory in Switzerland. Guess I'll have to buy one then.]

AndBoredsurfing, thanks for the bit about the jacket to be in the car...

Another thing to add to the 'must remember to pack' list.
ski holidays
Boredsurfing wrote:
Presumably the now compulsory warning triangle is allowed in the boot.

I believe that the warning triangle has to be at hand in the car in some countries and certainly in Switzerland it has to be at hand and not in the boot, as confirmed by the AA site.
snow report
dan100, Along with the reflective jackets, triangle etc., rules for driving in France mean you also need spare bulbs for the lights (may be included in a hire car, if it's law?), a fire extinguisher, first aid kit - unsure if same rules for Switzerland but may with checking to be safe. You may already have this car hire link, but just in case - http://www.directskiers.com/Cars.htm
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Anniepen wrote:
dan100, Along with the reflective jackets, triangle etc., rules for driving in France mean you also need spare bulbs for the lights (may be included in a hire car, if it's law?), a fire extinguisher, first aid kit - unsure if same rules for Switzerland but may with checking to be safe. You may already have this car hire link, but just in case - http://www.directskiers.com/Cars.htm

What are you supposed to do if you have sealed unit headlights?

Although the fashion for those does seem to have diminished in recent years, unless it is just the fact I have been driving French cars recently Smile
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy