Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Race Training venues not in Tignes

Poster: A snowHead
I had a weeks training in Tignes last year early season and swore i wouldnt go back to Tignes for numerous reasons but all the top outfits seems to be based there. what about some recommendations for schools that train elsewhere in Nov / Dec. I would like to have a go at some GS and perhaps SL courses.

Alpine coaching in Tux was mentioned elsewhere any other suggestions?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Some friends have been here several times.

Your problem in Dec will be that resorts don't want to use up so much space once the season has started. Hiring race lanes becomes much more expensive in the big resorts, but the smaller places probably won't have enough snow yet.

What put you off Tignes apart from the weather ?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rjs, thanks for that. If i get involved with training i think i would like to try a more pleasent venue like austria or LDA or ? Last year the weather messed things up but i didnt see the point of having to catch the first bus to the funicular, queuing up for a 1/2 hour each morning, and never having any reliable info as to piste opening. noone seemed to have any accurate info on when and what would be open and we spent half our time hanging around drinking coffee waiting for Emma to find out what was going on.

once on the glacier the t bars seemed to randomly stop and start...
The lunch stop on the glacier was rubbish food and stupidly expensive, if you went down all the cafes were rammed...
too many lanes too close together was a bit unnerving for me as a beginner. I had a snowboarder cross in front of me once cutting across all the race lanes Shocked

perhaps that is all par for the course on these weeks but i wasnt a particularily fun customer experience...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
skimottaret, welcome the the world of out of season training, the main reason that most of the players use tignes is thsat it is set up for training and as it is "out of season" it is cheaper as has been said already....

most resorts don't want things that upset the normal balance of the skiing day...slalom gates are just one such thing, as for GS well that takes up even more space

oh and before you even consider SG and DH make sure you have at least 2 doctors on site before training commences Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
skimottaret, Welcome to pre-season training in Tignes ! I've experienced similar frustrations at 'Tux, and LDA.

The early season weather (windy/stormy) doesn't help, and you do get stuck waiting at the funicular to see what will happen. I think the large numbers of fired-up racers (who seem to view everything - including getting into their boots - as a race) doesn't make for a calm experience. It's a lot like waiting for the Midi cable car to open in the summer in Chamonix (replace the racers with climbers).
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
skimottaret, Nov/Dec.... head to Colorado Toofy Grin
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
skimottaret, The weather during that week was unusual, I have been going there for the last ten years and not lost that many days training. I don't have a feel for the length of the queue as I had a coaches' pass, but I suspect you will get a similar queue everywhere.

You get people straying into courses everywhere, even if you put up fences they will go through any gap.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

who seem to view everything - including getting into their boots - as a race

Laughing Laughing yeah it was very much like that. massive surge in the queue when the funicular doors open, run up to get the highest carriage you can on the train. skate as hard as you can uphill carrying a sh**load of gates just to be in the middle of 30 lanes rolling eyes

i might have a go at the holland venue sometime... I have to admit i am not hard core on this and Tignes was a drag... just want to have a laugh nancying around a few gates while the kids and masters laugh me off the course. Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Re DH training....... as mentioned by CEM...

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/jono-brauer-downhill-training-in-chile/1954128320
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
CEM, no chance on SG or DH i can hardly ski let alone race at 46... Laughing

No joke though i was drinking beer in munich last weekwith a friend of my wife who turns out was an ex french junior national downhiller and he told me he had retired after suffering a SECOND coma after crashing out in a training run..... broken bones and knee surgery sounded to be just par for the course.... Skullie
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
little tiger, i normally hate those kind of crash videos as they make me ill but that should be required viewing for any youngster thinking about doing speed events........

My French friend said that all the bad smashes happen in training and local/regional races.. no fences, pads, helos as you see on during WC races on tele. He hit a tree and was in a coma for 6 days. broken pelvis as well....
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skimottaret, yep IIRC jono posted it.... brave effort I think... sends a good message out...

check his "ball" video on youtube (post by same poster) Shocked
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ooops
was AJ Bear I was thinking of... watch these
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skimottaret,
Quote:

might have a go at the holland venue sometime... I have to admit i am not hard core on this and Tignes was a drag... just want to have a laugh nancying around a few gates while the kids and masters laugh me off the course. Toofy Grin

Want to come on my August camp ?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
oops again links gone off

http://youtube.com/v/p-Si3DUgGv4&feature=related

try in there
ski holidays
ski, might do, post some details or PM me.... i am thinking of perhaps going along to holland with Glen or Phil B on one of their camps at some point... an indoor session or two may make more sense as a beginner....
snow report
little tiger, i like this one of his swiss ball trainig regime http://uk.youtube.com/v/-IIlYCV0f3o&feature=related
ski holidays
rjs wrote:
The weather during that week was unusual,

I agree. I've done one pre-season week for the last five years and only lost one entire day to bad weather. Your other frustrations are typical, I think, of pre-season training although queues can be avoided if you choose the right week (and try not to get on the first train).
ski holidays
skimottaret wrote:
little tiger, i like this one of his swiss ball trainig regime http://uk.youtube.com/v/-IIlYCV0f3o&feature=related

Yep Very Happy
ski holidays
Colorado - lots of blue sky.... Lots of snow Very Happy
latest report
http://www.skiloveland.com/
latest report

http://www.arapahoebasin.com/Abasin/snow-conditions/web-cams.aspx
snow report

http://www.arapahoebasin.com/Abasin/snow-conditions/web-cams.aspx
ski holidays
little tiger, One of the groups who train in Tignes in November are a school from New England. They feel that they get better access to lanes than they would in Colorado alongside all the national teams.
ski holidays
little tiger, as much as i would like to i cant justify a trip to colorado for training. might go someday and have fun checking out a few hills on hols.
latest report
rjs - and Austrians have been training in Canada..... does this mean no-one should go to Austria?
snow conditions
skimottaret, you can try this at the end of February http://www.btinternet.com/~john.p.williams/masters/
ski holidays
Derek Jackson, The British Masters Championships are at the start of February, not the end.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rjs, rob@rar, yes people keep on saying that this was exceptional, but in two weeks' pre-season training in Tignes (i.e. 10 days) over the last two years I've only made in onto the glacier for 4 days - and one of those wasn't until nearly lunch-time, and the one day we got up there last year they didn't even start getting the drags de-iced until 10am, so they weren't working properly until about 11. If last year had not coincided with the start of the full resort opening we'd have been completely stuffed. Fine, you have to take the weather as it comes, but at least two of those days loss was clearly due to the rank incompetence of STGM (clear skies, not much wind, but they couldn't get their f***ing fingers out to de-ice the funicular cables, or it dropped off the cable, or their dog ate their homework, or....). Last year they also refused to honour a measly refund voucher (to the value of about 1/4 of the lost pass days) offered as compensation for days lost the previous time I'd been there, as I got there the day after the expiry of the voucher. Customer service like this stinks, and I feel that if I never have to suffer STGM again it will still be too soon. As a result I decided that wherever I went this year it wouldn't be Tignes.

I've ended up with a week at 'Tux with Alpine Coaching. PSG's not offering Race Training that week, but rather Multi-terrain technique stuff - sort of pre-ISIA development. On reflection that was probably more accurately what I needed anyway. I know about how to get down a course and line and all that stuff, but too often it's my screw-ups that mean I end up having to do something completely different - so reduce the screw-ups and practice may more closely approximate theory. Would still have been nice to do some proper gate-work on snow, but I can do that at a later date.

skimottaret, if you do want race training, you could look at Racer Ready's website, where there's a compendium of training weeks throughout the alps (and PB's Landgraaf trips are on there too). I was just a bit concerned that the camps organised by e.g. the local Austrians would be a bit (for which read "hugely") too high powered for me. It's probably worth noting that Snoworks do have a week in LDA in the early summer.
ski holidays
Whistler ski school (the resort school) runs a racing course, duration of which is 4 days if memory serves. If you don't find details on the WB website drop them an email.
Michel Pratte runs courses in Canada, US and Zermatt but... $$$$$$$

I did attend a summer camp in Htux a couple of years ago and didnt see any of the problems you experienced in Tignes. All was very well organised. But I wasn't 100 pct satisfied with the tuition itself.
snow conditions
GrahamN wrote:
... over the last two years I've only made in onto the glacier for 4 days ...

Remind me never to go race training with you! As well as me being embarrassingly slow it is clear the snow gods frown upon you Wink
snow report
rob@rar, yes, after the first one Phil was saying how he'd never had such a bad week, and then the following year was even worse (although as the rest of the domaine was open we could do other stuff)! But I think a few weeks previously they'd been shut for the best part of 10 days. This must have been a major change in luck for me though, as I don't think I'd lost a single day in over 10 years' skiing prior to that (albeit there were a fair few when anyone sensible would have stayed indoors). BTW if you want to pass on to Phil why I'm not there this pre-season, please feel free (or if you're reading this Phil, and want to pass those sentiments on to STGM, be my guest).

I should have said that a coach local to us has similar feelings about Tignes. Last year he went to Saas Fee (I think ski may have been with him), and was extremely impressed with the welcome and support offered by the lift company - and he doesn't impress easily. On one day the weather came in so quickly that they had to get down without even having time to pull the course. The following day they went back up expecting to have to spend time relocating poles, to find the pisteurs had them all nicely bundled up and waiting for them. And my experience of STGM was in direct contrast to the LDA lift company at the PSB that year, who had had two major lift failures and worked all night replacing drive wheels, including when one had to be flown in ready for first lift the following morning - which they made with virtually no lost time. Would STGM have done that....fat chance!
latest report
GrahamN,
Quote:

I think ski may have been with him

I wasn't Embarassed pressure of work.

Off to Tignes on Saturday tho' Very Happy
latest report
GrahamN, I agree the attitude that the resort takes pre-season is very poor for us poor punters. I think only the national teams who are training there get any kind of decent treatment. If my base wasn't in the Tarentaise I'm sure I'd go elsewhere for pre-season courses.
snow report
GrahamN, cheeky devils - they should stay on their own mountain! Twisted Evil wink wink

skimottaret, I think if you go to the LDA website you'll find both Pierre-Alain Carrel and Anne Millet listed under ski schools. they both offer race training and are pretty good. Anne speaks very good english as she lived in the states for a couple of years. Pierre alain's english isn't so great, but he knows his onions. However both are race trainers - not ski instructors ... Their clients are not usually very high powered, so it shouldn't be a problem that you're less experienced in a race course. Otherwise, contact Jeremy at the European Ski School as he organises a lot of race training with a very good italian guy for his 'stagiares' - he might be doing something early season before it all kicks off properly. Worth a try. Let me know if you have any luck.
ski holidays
Thanks for all the tips.. In the end i have decided to do a week of bumps (in tignes rolling eyes ) and then a general tune up session in Meribel this year pre christmas.

Depending on how things go with BASI courses (pass = get into gates Very Happy , fail = more bumps Sad ) i will probably start gate training in the spring now..

easiski, Derek Jackson, those sound promising, tah..
snow conditions
rjs, this is only an advert placed on the Masters Skiing website. The training camp is actually a Western Counties Ski Club annual event and a number of outsiders often go along.
snow report
Derek Jackson, You linked to the parent page, not the WCSC advert.
snow conditions
Derek Jackson, i found the training camp stuff and it looks interesting.
ski holidays
rjs, oops - I thought I'd pasted the direct link. Embarassed
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy