Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Junior 'race' skis

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We're off to St Gervais for the season and the flying bogee (aged 11) will be doing around 24 days of race training and who knows, maybe even some racing with the British ski academy.

His attendance at the BSA is not designed to turn him into the next British champion - he has neither the committment or AFAIK the talent for that, quite apart form starting too late. Rather to give him some structure to his time out there and the opportunity to ski with kids who can really ski and get some first class tuition as an alternative to bimbling round the slopes at mummy speed.

I really know two parts of nothing about skis, other than you click them on and off you go. I realise/assume though that even for the training he's likely to need a pair of decent quick skis, which all seem to come with eye watering price tags - unless I'm missing something.

Unless I really have to ( I will if I must) I don't want to be spending vast sums of money on his skis - the little *** keeps growing, I imagine he'll need at least another pair of all mountain skis and it's not likely that this will be the start of something big.

Which EVENTUALLY brings me to my question!

I've seen a pair of new Rossi 9x WC skis in his (current!) length on e-bay (I know, I know!) at £78 + postage. My understanding is that they come with 'standard' bindings not competition. Would these do the job? He's had rental Rossi 'racers' from Jutta in LDA before and got on fine with them - though I have no idea if they were the same animal.

Yes? No? Maybe?

As I say I know only marginally more than zero about skis at the moment though I'm sure that will change so please be gentle if I'm barking up completely the wrong tree.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Annie, Don't know about UK but in USA you can get good second hand race skis for very good prices.... The young racers get bigger ones each year and sell the old.... The best buy are the pair they keep for racing which have little skiing time on them and are well cared for.... not the pair they use to train on..... (Eg one of mine had raced 10 races before I got it)

Make sure there is plenty of edge left in any skis.... also check how much they have been used....

Me - I'm a Volkl/Stockli kind of gal.... just what you like I think...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
call the guys at Bartletts , they often have used race skis at good prices
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Annie, How do you get on with doing a season and school for The flying bogee? Does he attend a local school whilst in resort?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Megamum, BSA is the british ski academy, they offer either sessions over holiday periods or full time places with curriculum education as well as skiing
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Annie, What skis does Malcolm suggest that they should have at that age ? Just GS ?

You could also think about a season rental of a pair.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Annie Try posting over on MySnowsports.Com there are loads of young racers over there many of whom have been to the various Academies and I am sure there will be some who have skis to sell on.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks CEM, and fred, for the suggestions - I'll keep them in mind.

rjs, I've had a message kicking around on Malcolm's ansaphone for a few days now and am waiting for him to get back with advice but know he's a busy or at least elusive man and it can take a while for him to respond so thought I'd pick snowheads brains too. ---and of course with less than 8 weeks before we go asking daft questions on here keeps my excitement levels nicely buoyant.

Megamum, What CEM, says, though James is only doing a couple of days a week rather than full time, with work set by his UK school, who have been really super supportive, to keep him ticking over academically. Were going to send him to school in the village but in the end decided it just wasn't for him and his 'education' will just be a bit broader and more ad hoc for 5 months.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Annie, If you had posted earlier then I could have asked Malcolm myself, he was at Chill Factore all weekend.

The Rossi 9X WCjr skis on eBay that I could see had a note saying that the race plate had been removed from them before mounting the bindings. I would avoid them if that was the case.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
rjs, About sums up my timing on most things! I know Malcolm with get back to me when he's around and 8 weeks plus a couple more before he's actually doing anything with the BSA is plenty of time to get the bogee sorted, it's just me being impatient to DO something/have some shiny new toys to look at - even if they're not mine!

I will sit on my hands for now, and buy some gloves or lip salve or something to fend off the urge to spend inappropriately.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
My (then) 12-year-old did two weeks with BSA last year. I had obtained a pair of 2006/7 Volkl SL skis cheap (from skiracing.co.uk) and we had to hire him a pair of GS skis for the GS days. Race plates are not essential IMO. Once we found he was not too bad and would keep up the interest we looked at Skizog (www.skizog.co.uk) for some used skis for dry slope for this summer.
For the coming winter, we foudn that S&R still have some junior bargains on their website and some ski clubs advertise used items on their website. Malcolm may have some old (and some new) skis around once you get there too. Best bet may be to wait till you get there for anything other than some half-decent SL skis.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
beequin, I wasn't suggesting that the plates were essential, more that the vendor doesn't give the impression of knowing what they are doing.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rjs, I agree with you on that. No need for unnecessary holes.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy