Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

harder on dryslopes

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Went for the first time boarding on Ipswich dry slope last weekend, and it appeared considerably more difficult. Now I am still develping and on snow my turns are pretty good. Found I was catching my edge constantly on the dry mats. Anyone else use dryslopes regularly?

Thought if I get better on there, I will be bloody brilliant on snow!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
croskemj, Too True !
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Dendix slopes such as Ipswich certainly are a lot more unforgiving than snow. On snow, you can make a small mistake and get away with it. On dendix, make the same mistake and it's likely to bite you!

But I don't need to tell you this: you've found out yourself Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
It's true, snowboarding on dryslope is really tough. I used to teach on it!

What's also true though, is that it rewards good technique and punishes all the herky-jerky people....
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
So if I become a demon on the dry slope (grew up skiing on it and pretty proficient skier), I should become a superb jib monkey! May need some more body armour before progressing though. Smile
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
my slope just got full snowflex NehNeh
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dendix made a nice fracture in my brother's wrist at a free snowboarding lesson at Hillend a few years ago. At the start of his summer holidays.

He was a right happy chappy.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Dry slopes are ok for learning your stance, balance, edges etc etc............

I tried to "learn" how to board on a dry slope. In the end I was arching my back as I fell backwards to land on my shoulderblades, as my a*se hurt soooo much (left glute). Looked like a horse had kicked me, and really put some effort into it. Could turn one way, fall over, stand up, then the other, but not link turns. Nearly dislocated my thumb in the Dendix also............

My "boarding" days were over.....................

Cut to two weeks later in the Alps and some bright spark in the ski party I was with suggested a "learn to board afternoon". With the pain, and the bruises, still fresh in my mind, and body, I said no way. Eventually being the only one, I relented.

First run down, cut a (learners) meandering carve, top to bottom, and threw in a near perfect stop in front of the assembled mob.

Universal hatred. I was a hustler, sandbagger, running down my own abilities to look good in front of the gurls/wimmin.........Snowballed, dumped on my a*rse, made to buy the first round (hated that bit the most...........).

No-one was more surprised than me. Never looked back since. Never been back on a dry slope either.............................That was eleven years ago.

Sorry about the ramble, but I guess what I'm trying to say is like many things, it's all in the translation, from one medium to another. So if you're a dry slope flyer, you'll probably rip on snow, but don't get negotiating those pro sponsorship deals just yet...........

John.

p.s. Anyone not got a buddy for the first week in Jan '09, last minute deal going pretty much anywhere ('cept Andorra.......never again), leaving the 3/1/09 BHX/MAN/EMA, 7/10/11/14 days? Preferably Canada, but Europe ok. All the people I know have work to go to, but personally with the way things are going financially, I don't think there'll be any left to do, so perhaps we'll all be on the slopes...................................
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sorry, missed an important bit of the story (guess I was getting bored myself too..................)..................

On the dry slope we went as a group, and some of others were head and shoulders better than me (Telford, can't fault the tuition as such).

But on snow, with more grip and more speed, none could hack it, and they all still ski. Only my sister is now making a serious effort to learn.

So being a good learner on a dry slope is no guarantee of success, and vice-versa.

Like I say, it's mainly in the translation.................

John.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
BCjohnny, I think you're right. I learned on dry slopes (well specifically Churchill) and then found snow so much easier when I eventually got on to it. I don't think I'd have enjoyed going from snow to dry at all but I think skiing on dry helps your technique on snow a lot. Slow ice is a very good description.

Having said that, I do enjoy dry slopes still and I used to do a bit of racing on them at uni. I'd echo the comments about not falling over though. I once sat back a bit too much on a jump on a dry slope. I landed on my back skidded along the slope, my jacket and top came up and I ended up grazing all the skin off my back. That was a good few weeks, not being able to sit back on a chair or lie on my back! There's also the problem of breaking your thumb in the holes. Always make a fist if you fall.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Doesn't mean anything, I learnt on a dry slope and I'm still poo.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Swirly, hopefully you will improve after a whole season wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy