Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cost effective skis for kids - is hiring still the way forward?

Poster: A snowHead
Two children - still growing, needing tiddly ski's around 110cm and 100cm long. The hire of a pair of skis for each of them will cost me around £50 a week. If I looked around for 2nd hand ones would I get two years out of one set of skis before they outgrew them and do you think I would get pairs for less than 2 years hire would cost me, bearing in mind I could probably sell them on for something once outgrown. If so what do you think I should be looking for in 2nd hand skis for them. Daughter needs something around 110cm - 4 weeks of ski school & skiing under her belt and v. confident. My son has three weeks ski school and is starting to get confident.

Carriage of the skis is not a problem as I drive, and I am planning to still hire boots as I certainly won't get more than a year out of a set of boots.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Megamum, i would hire personally... the difference in cost between skis only and a package deal isnt too great.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Have a look at Decathlon's Wed'ze skis. Their website isn't great, but the skis are cheap and get good reviews.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Elizabeth B, those are designed for skiers of adult weight - I can't imagine that putting kids on them would be a good idea.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lizzard, I don't mean the 3/4 length ones that they 1st came out with. Wed'ze now do kids specific skis. For example these
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Only difficulty you may have with your own skis and hiring boots as their feet grow is the standard bindings don't adjust that much, unless you get rental bindings fitted.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Elizabeth B, Lizzard, 'Wed'ze' seems to be the re-branded Decathlon in-house-brand for many sports replacing 'Quechua'. Someone will probably be able to work out whose skis they have 're-branded' ... someone here used to work for Decathlon I believe? ..
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you go through France you need to pop in to a "troc" shop and get some second hand skis. I got some head carving skis for my 3 yr old (4 this season) and they will be fine this year too. Cost 40 euros + I can re"troc" them next season.

I can give you adresses in Grenoble to visit and could probably make some suggestions for the Savoie.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Megamum, We only decided to buy recently for our youngest (though he doesn't know it yet, can't wait to see his face on xmas day Very Happy ) as we got some Salomon Fish 130cm skis in Ellis Brigham over the summer and it compares well to rental for the 20 days or so skiing he will do. He will continue in rental boots. Eldest is going to the dark side next trip so not an issue for him just now.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sat 11-10-08 18:37; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Megamum, don't hire places put up the price of boots if you hire without skis??
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
kitenski, I've no idea actually, in the past I haven't even worked out the costs I've jsut put my hand in my pocket and gone with whatever it costs as part of the holdiay expense. However, my change in situation has meant really looking at where I spend stuff and I now want to make sure I do things as cost effectively as possible

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Sat 11-10-08 18:40; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
kitenski, The place we rent from lists the prices separately even for kids kit but yes, I could see that happening if not careful esp with childrens' 'packages'
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Would be interesting to work out, don't forget to add in at the bare min a wax/edge once a year into your costings...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
£50 seems a lot. We could get skis and boots for £35 in resort Y.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
we have 2 kids (3rd n the way)

paying for rental for 3 weeks skiing a year pisses me off

boots- ebay £10 will last a season or 2 for each ofthem and then resell- hand on to another family

skis- tried ebay but the prices get silly

bought rental skis with rental bindings about 110 I think- just went to a ski shop and asked- no probs- less than 3 weeks rental and will last 6yr old a bit - then the others

transport no problem as the smaller skis fit in with ours ditto boots.

I probably earn enough not to worry about this sort of thing- but just hate the maths!
snow report
Megamum, Buy off ebay - no question it works out cheaper than renting, plus you will probably get around 2 seasons out of each bit of kit. I have got some real bargains for my 3 off ebay, but also local dry slope where members sell their old kit too.
latest report
Skis come from Stoeckli. Season rentals sold at half price immaculately serviced. Around 90CHF a pair. Then I can feed them through a 3 kid pipeline.
Boots off Ricardo (ebay equivalent) for around 20 CHF.
Also in CH you can get a new new pair of kids skis with bindings for a lot less than 150CHF from a supermarket.

As previously mentioned be wary of buying skis 2nd hand privately as the bindings may not be adjustable enough.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy