Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Air Canada baggage allowance 2009 Ex LHR To Calgary

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I apologise now if this has been asked before, I have looked and searched but couldn't see anything that relates to Air Canada's allowance.

We were flying with Monarch to Calgary ex MAN 17th Jan but the flights have been cancelled and we have transferred to Air Canada ex LHR.

Just wondering if anyone can help: We all have snowboard bags which we are taking with us to Banff. The boards are 152 cms in length for a start - the BURTON wheelie gig bag is 181 cms in length and gets the board in and all clothes, boots and bindings for the 11 days..... when we flew to Geneva last Winter with Jet2.com we all paid £15 each way, they x-rayed the bags and off they went into the plane.

Question is, is this acceptable on AC - I have read their web site and it's not very clear and others have said on SCUK that they will take bags of this size..... We won't be taking any other bags, this is it. Just wanted to check with you guys too wink

If anyone has a personal experience of Air Canada and a bag of this size I would love it if you would message me back.

Cheers ♥ Leedslips ♥
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You also need to make sure that the TO allowance is the same as the general Airline allowance. When I went to Banff with Neilson/Canadian Airlines my allowance was less.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

You also need to make sure that the TO allowance is the same as the general Airline allowance. When I went to Banff with Neilson/Canadian Airlines my allowance was less.

Confused Hi Colin B - Not sure what you mean but thanks for the reply!? Confused
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Me too ! Thought about rebooking with Inghams who have Wed flights from MAN but it was about the same price but thought I would give Air Canada a go. I had to pay a £200 excess for the privilige of going via LHR, Inghams customers did not get a price hike after the demise of Zoom. Shame on TUI again.
Check out thier website.
They have a very generous baggage allowance i.e. 2X 23 kg
http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelinfo/airport/baggage/index.html

Plus they will wave the oversize fee for skis provided you inform them 24+ hrs before check in - Crystal said they would do this for me but I don't trust them.
http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelinfo/airport/baggage/sports_equip.html

I am getting the connecting code share flight from MAN to LHR with bmi so will probably have to pay 2X£15 for ski carriage.
Enjoy your trip.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
At the time CA allowance was 32kg but going through Neilson I got less (25kg I think).
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Air Canada use the piece system. You are allowed 2 bags, up to a maximum weight of 23kg each. Sports gear (there is a specified list - which includes skis, boards etc) is considered as one of your bags.

We've never had luggage limit problems with numerous flights with AC (unlike BA, grumble, grumble, grumble)
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Oh right RobW, cheers for that - the thing that confused me (and it doesn't take much) was that there wasn't any dims - just don't wanna turn up at LHR and there be a problem with the board bags - cheers!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Leedslips, They class ski/board bags as oversize baggage. You must pre book sports equipment with them ( no charge ) to get it free otherwise they charge you for it. Boot bags will be included in your luggage limit, skis/boards arent IIRC . If pre booked both oversize and extra piece fees are waivered, economy weight limit is 23kg.

But if booking via another company you are restricted to that companies limits and fees even though you are on a scheduled flight !! So if they are charging you ski carriage you still have to pay it even though AC dont charge rolling eyes

Never had a problem with them though . HTH
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have booked through Inghams and flown AC and never had any problem - I just called AC to book the skis and it was as if i was a "regular" customer as opposed to a TO customer.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Leedslips,

I assume you're going from Leeds-Bradford to LHR.

I've never had any problem with AC carrying ski-bags packed out with everything else. HOWEVER, a couple of years ago when I was flying BA out of LHR, BMI started charging excess baggage for the Leeds-LHR flight, (now I usually fly KLM via Amsterdam). - This may not apply to BMI-AC connections, since they're both part of the Star Alliance, but I'd check with BMI beforehand to be on the safe side.

Being whacked with an unexpected excess baggage charge when you're just about to set off is NOT the best way to start your holiday.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hey ALL, thanks so much for your replies they were most helpful - cheers ...... oh and Acacia, we're travelling from Leeds to LHR via car so won't incur any further charges, thanx! wink

Thanks again, Jo ♥
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Leedslips wrote:
Hi all,

I apologise now if this has been asked before, I have looked and searched but couldn't see anything that relates to Air Canada's allowance.

We were flying with Monarch to Calgary ex MAN 17th Jan but the flights have been cancelled and we have transferred to Air Canada ex LHR.

Just wondering if anyone can help: We all have snowboard bags which we are taking with us to Banff. The boards are 152 cms in length for a start - the BURTON wheelie gig bag is 181 cms in length and gets the board in and all clothes, boots and bindings for the 11 days..... when we flew to Geneva last Winter with Jet2.com we all paid £15 each way, they x-rayed the bags and off they went into the plane.

Question is, is this acceptable on AC - I have read their web site and it's not very clear and others have said on SCUK that they will take bags of this size..... We won't be taking any other bags, this is it. Just wanted to check with you guys too wink

If anyone has a personal experience of Air Canada and a bag of this size I would love it if you would message me back.

Cheers ♥ Leedslips ♥

Ive flown with Air Canada before they do allow excess bagae and will charge you for it. Though I don'nt know what their fees. I would be very suprised if you had any trouble they are very good at figuring out the skiers and are accomodating when it comes to personel possesions. Just don't be excessive about the bagae and you will be fine. I would rate them as a skier one of the better airlines to fly with. Monarch on the other hand don't particularly rate.

Hope this helps
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
WARNING ABOUT AC: I had an awful experience with AC last year at Heathrow. I've got a Ogio wheelie bag that holds all boards and clothes in one. It's quite big and heavy (I think it was about 35Kg) but has wheels and I can lift it. When I got to baggage check in they rejected it saying it was "too heavy". They asked what I had in it and I said board kit + clothes and I asked to pay whatever the extra is and they said I can't and I'd have to put the clothes in another bag. I had to go and buy another holdall just to put clothes in = F****** inconvenient and I almost missed the flight because of it.

I mentioned that I've done this trip a number of times before without issue. The jobsworth then started citing H+S as the issue.

I'm going to get written confirmation before I go with AC next time because it seems to depends on which side of the bed they get out of more than anything else.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Oh I just checked their site too and found this which I thought might be helpful:

<<<<<<SNIP>>>>>>>>

Sports Equipment

Pre-register your sports equipment

You are reminded to pre-register all sports equipment:

1. at aircanada.com:
* at the time of booking (while entering your passenger information) or,
* if your booking was completed online at aircanada.com, up to 24 hours prior to departure by going to the Manage my Bookings page.
2. or by calling Air Canada Reservations.

Please note, however, that pre-registering sports equipment does not guarantee that Air Canada will be able to accommodate each item on your flight(s). Please reconfirm with the airport check-in agent at the time of check-in.
WAIVER
Sports equipment is subject to all applicable Excess baggage fees if over and above the free allowance.

However, oversize and/or excess piece fees will be waived only for the following items, provided they are pre-registered (waiver on these items does not apply if they are checked in at the airport on the day of departure).

Excess baggage fee waiver applies to pre-registered:

* hockey bags (containing hockey equipment) - Oversize fee waived
* hockey sticks - Oversize fee waived
* skis and snowboard - Oversize fee waived
* ski and snow boots (when items are carried along with skis or snowboard) - Excess piece fee waived

<<<<<<SNIP>>>>>>>>
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
deejbee, H&S is a real reason, not a jbobsworth. Airlines are refusing to take any single bag over 32kg, this probably wasn't in force the previus times you travelled.
snow report
Fair point. I think that as long as you register your overweight bag like it now says on the ac webite then you might not have to pay an excess, oh and trimming down on all the extra clothes I never wear might help a bit too Wink
snow report
deejbee, Yeh, I always make sure I have pre-registered ski kit & have never ahd any problems (admitedly, not overweight though)
ski holidays
This appears further down in the terms and conditions

Skis, skates, and snowboards Each of the following is considered an individual item when packed separately: one pair of skis* (snow or water), one snowboard*, one set of poles, one pair of boots*, one pair of skates, or a single slalom. Skis and poles or snowboard must be packaged in a rigid and/or hard shell container specifically designed for shipping. Two pairs of skis packed together are counted as two items.

Not sure how keen they will be on any non rigid containers and a mixture of snowboards and clothes.
snow report
malcolm1, if you only have a soft bag (like me) they might make you sign a waiver
snow conditions
deejbee, OMG - well this is why I'm asking all these questions now as I know this will happen to me lol. I hope that things got sorted for ya hun.....
holidayloverxx, Yeah, they said that to mee too so I'm having to buy a seperate bag for my board instead of the Burton Wheelie bag-try and pack it out a bit with some foam for protection.

I have just got off the phone with AC now and they told me that:-

rolling eyes I can take my snowboard, in a bag that is no longer than 158 cms - nothing else to be packed inside (Hmmmmm)
rolling eyes I can take 2 x 23 Kilos in total, to put my clothes etc in (this goes in the hold)
rolling eyes 1 can also have one pice of hand luggage, no more than 10 kilos in total

Just thought I would give you all this info, I've heard lots of different stories but just don't wanna get stuck @ LHR having to tip all my stuff out.

Hope this helps Puzzled

Thanks to everyone who has commented on this, cheere ♥
ski holidays
Leedslips, We use soft ski bags and always stuff ski gear in with them. Have used AC before and never had a problem. They usually get you to sign a waiver for the soft bag.

Enjoy the trip and the free booze Smile
snow report
Bones, cheers hun - can't wait now wink
latest report
Hi there - old thread I know but worth a shout.

Travelling AC this winter and want to take 3 pairs of skis. They'll come in under the 32kg limit for the oversize bag/sports equipment but worried I'll get stung for three separate items as their T&Cs state each pair counts as one item even if packed together.

Anyone any experience of this?

Cheers.
ski holidays
oz5000, They've never actually opened my ski bag... I'd chance it and pay up without grumbling if they caught me.
snow report
Thanks Alexandra. Their excess baggage fees look pretty horrendous though at CAN$225 per bag!
ski holidays
oz5000, That is a LOT of money! US friends of mine have found it's cheaper to ship skis FedEx (or similar) than fly them... could that be worth thinking about? Because presumably you're going for quite a while - "nobody" takes a 3-ski quiver for a fortnight! Wink
latest report
(Moved to The Piste)
snow report
Alexandra wrote:
oz5000, That is a LOT of money! US friends of mine have found it's cheaper to ship skis FedEx (or similar) than fly them... could that be worth thinking about? Because presumably you're going for quite a while - "nobody" takes a 3-ski quiver for a fortnight! Wink

Hah! Yes, am off for the Winter. If I encounter a jobsworth at LHR then that's CAN$450! Fed Ex an option but is £220! Probably worth risking it!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Why dont you just call Air Canada rather than put your faith in people who might just be guestimating?
latest report
Unfortunately the people on the phone aren't the ones who check the bags. I know their policy, I just wondered if anyone had experience of how strictly they enforce it.
latest report
oz5000,

Having travelled with them pretty recently I think you pay an excess on any bag over 23kg up to 32 kg. You are however allowed more than one bag. So I would make sure the bag weighs less than 32kg.

We were very slightly over recently and didn't get charged. But we did have big jars of marmite to take out if required!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy