Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

driving to 3 valees

Poster: A snowHead
All

I am driving to the 3 valees early Dec 08 to start the season (Dec to Apr - cant wait........get out the UK and all this doom and gloom re the 'credit crunch')

Never done it before and just stumbled on this excellent site so thought i'd try my luck - here goes

I've got a 4x4 and plan to drive over - I think it should take 8/9 hours - any thoughts?

Any ideas re route and avoiding tolls?

I plan to get some snow tyres for the front (need replacing anyway) - makes sense?

Anyones experience of snow chains and sourcing the UK or en Francais?

Anyone planning to be in La Tania / Meribel for the season?

I hear it snowed there last Saturday - immense news !!!

Answers on a postcard

AAM
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
andandmand, Welcome to snowHeads. I expect you'll get quite a lot of replies, but in teh meantime you coudl try searching the site -there are a number of threads on snow chains and tyres.

Have a great season. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi there HLxx

Thanks for the reply - hopefully people 'in the know' might be able to give me a steer

This site seems really useful - lets see how it plays out

Counting down the days

AAM
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
There are now so many threads on driving over your best bet is to use the search facility (Handy tip click the serach all terms button after entering your key words)
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Several years ago I drove out to Meribel very late in the season with some friends.

We started extremely early in the morning from north London and caught a Eurotunnel train. We arrived in Meribel in time to sit having a drink while watching the last skiers skiing down. We started back after a day skiing and had a night in Beaune, which has some good restaurants. Troyes might be another possibility if you want to go further (it has a beautiful old centre but is rather big).

If you want an extremely cheap and basic but convenient hotel on the way back then try the "Formule 1" chain. Everything is automated and linked in with your credit card so you can turn up any time and enter using your credit card (you are given a unique code for your room which has a double plus single bunk bed and you put as many people in the room as you want.) They are mostly right by the motorways.
However if you want something a bit special but not necessarily that expensive try the "Special Places to Stay" books (and website).

However being late season we never used the chains and I'm not sure what tyres my friend's car had.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
andandmand, i have a lot of info on my site regarding directions and general meribel ski stuff you may find handy www.skimottaret.com
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
andandmand, It will take 8 - 9 hours driving from Calais (assuming good weather, traffic and road conditions). So you need to add stops, and the time it takes you to get to Calais. As said above there is masses of advice here on chains - if you're there for the season you are likely to use them at some point, even with a 4 x 4 (and not all 4 x 4s are equal, some are awful in snow). You get what you pay for. Very cheap chains break easily and can be difficult to put on. 4 snow tyres will be better than 2.

you could ask roofbox.co.uk - they are very good.

If your car is going to be parked out in the snow all winter take a shovel, a brush to get snow off it, etc. And be aware that your diesel might go waxy - it it's very cold you'll need an additive. Make sure your battery is in tip top condition.

Have a good season - are you working or playing?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Pam

Thanks for the advice - we are working - dead excited - its going to be a belter - though never done it before

5 months in the Alps - doesnt get much better than that (dont answer)

AAM
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
andandmand, besides chains/snow tyres, you will need the following:- high-vis jacket for each traveller in the car (Halfords do a set for about £10), first aid box, fire exgtinguisher, warning triangle, spare bulbs for your lights, stickers that go on your headlights to divert the glare from oncoming traffic - again Halfords and about £5. Welcome to Snow Heads snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
andandmand,

Haven't done the non-auto-route thing for a long time but it will probably double the time you take to avoid the tolls..which IIRC, are around 70eu's one way. Loads of useful stuff about driving on this site.
And if the French say they want all the stuff above to be carried in the car, you better have it if you are stopped.

ok..down the driving bit..have you skied..??? Laughing
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
have a look at this thread - lots of useful tips http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=28639
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
andandmand,
Quote:

I plan to get some snow tyres for the front (need replacing anyway) - makes sense?

I would have thought that winter tyres only on the front could be quite dangerous as in cold and wet, or slushy conditions you will have much less grip at the back, leading to potentially dangerous oversteer. The same thing happens with chains only on the front, but with chains on you won't go much over 30 so it's controlable. Also, when I had a 4wd vehicle I did a fair bit of research on chains, and the advice was to use them on all 4 wheels rather than just 2, this does depend on the precise type of 4wd transmission you have so best to research for your particular vehicle.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Snow tyres all round my friend.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
this article on natives - is a fab guide to most of everything you need to know about taing a car into the alps..

http://www.natives.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4093&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=driving&start=0&sid=dbf89fbefc8389d8af5bc69e9f6cdcaf
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
best article i've read on taking a car to france
snow report
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=28639

try here pal
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy