Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help pick resort for solo skier

Poster: A snowHead
I'll be heading off to a week's solo skiing in mid-Jan. Probably going to use a TO for convenience. Lots of resorts available and that I fancy including Les Menuires, LDA, Tignes and Canazei. Been to Tignes and LDA. Liked both, but have a strange hankering to go back to LDA... Canazei looks good once you are up on the mountain (big queues for the cable car?) and Les Menuires looks like it has enough skiing for a year or two. Red run intermediate (OK on pisted blacks, nothing bumpy) who'll be having some tuition. Considered Austrian resorts but don't really want to do tuition in mornings and afternoons (which I understand is the norm in Austria). Happy with a beer and book/iPlayer in the evenings. OK, make that happy with a beer.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Have you considered Italy. Have a look at the PreBBWUW8, it might suit. snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The access from canazei is fine, the cable car from the centre of canazei queue moves quickly. The other one out the other direction is much busier, and it's hot and congested waiting for the gondola there.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@NeddySkiGoon, cannot make that week unfortunately otherwise would have gone. @Roguevfr, thanks for that. So everyone tries to upload at Campitello?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've not used them personally but UCPA are meant to be great for soloists.

I can vouch for Les Menuires being a good ski base for the 3V and the 3V is a great area, you would have a blast.

Personally in mid-Jan I'd like to be staying somewhere lower with tree skiing immediately acceptable, for those wintry days.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@dobby, Sad
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

I'd like to be staying somewhere lower with tree skiing immediately acceptable, for those wintry days

Yeah, me too.

Morzine?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@dobby, if you can’t make a bash and UCPA is a bit young or slumming it too much, what about a week ski coaching like Snoworks, Warren Smith etc?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Themasterpiece, thanks for the tip. Looked at that but I could find nothing for that week. @Layne and @under a new name, very good point. Hadn't thought about that. Will throw that into the mix
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
One of the La Plagne villages. Main complaint about La Plagne is the busy Bellecote section but mid-January it won't be such a problem. Not sure how easy it is to find good deals for a solo but mid-January plenty of TOs will probably have rooms available which they're looking to let.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@SnoodlesMcFlude, there were a few properties available in Belle Plagne but not really considered it. Thx.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@dobby, a week's coaching makes a lot of sense when you're on your own - I did that the first time I went solo, some years ago in Tignes in early December. Worked really well - we had lessons in the morning and some keen young things who enjoyed finding their way round to act as ski guides in the afternoon - meant I didn't have to get my specs out to squint at a piste map!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@pam w, I know. I did a week with Snoworks last year in Tignes. Good fun but knackering (the off piste was, anyway)! I'll be doing lessons if I cannot find coaching.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@dobby, done loads and loads of solo trips over the years but found tour operators, in the main, not particularly helpful or flexible on price. Single supplements tend to rocket the price. However, DIY proved much better - use the resort's tourist office website to book accommodation (Solden and Engelberg being two especially good sites); single hotel rooms at no big mark-up are easy to find. The transfer from the airport can prove a little bit of a problem so I have often plumped for resorts with a railway station or a good rail/bus link. Lessons and/or coaching are a grand thing when you are on your own. Never ever been bored on a solo trip...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@LOTA, thx for that. I DIY'ed last year which worked out quite well. I agree that TOs are not very geared up for singles, but far better than they used to be (or I am trying to book earlier than usual...)
ski holidays
@dobby, there appears to be huge cost benefits too for DIY. (I asked a tour op to price up my Are holiday and they came in £1600 more expensive for the pair of us - and my pricing included two lift passes!).

Done solo DIY to Engelberg, Grindelwald, Saas-Fee, Solden, Arosa/Lenzerheide, La Thuile and DIY to Alpbach, Saalbach, Lake Tahoe, St Anton - so if you fancy any of those, I'd be happy to share some tips/pointers.

Never done DIY to France, though.
snow report
@dobby, It seems a shame to write off all those very appealing Austrian resorts, simply because group lessons tend to be for two hours in the morning and two hours in the afternoon. Why not just have an intensive private lesson for two hours on your first or second morning, or do three days of group lessons? The flights to Salzburg, Innsbruck and Munich are cheap, the resort transfers are quick and easy, and the social scene that awaits you will make you feel very welcome. Ski Welt and Saalbach-Hinterglemm (Austria's answer to the three valleys) are in the top four most visited/popular ski areas worldwide, and people also enthuse about Ski Amade, St Anton and Ischgl (although maybe not St Anton for an intermediate). Compared with LDA and Les Menuires, for me it would be a no-brainer.
snow report
Like yourself I have gone solo to Tignes and joined a Snoworks course for the week. I am going back to Tignes mid-March and either join another course or have Ski Club GB instructor led guiding which is great value.
https://www.skiclub.co.uk/instructor-led-guiding

Alternatively it can be an easy way to meet skiers in resort. Not sure how the new scgb rep system will work out though.
https://www.skiclub.co.uk/ski-club-reps

Shame you cannot join a Snowhead group.
ski holidays
@tatmanstours, I've been looking at the AT resorts again. 4 hours of the right sort of skiing may be enough! Skied ski welt from Ellmau and thoroughly enjoyed it. Will revisit AT resorts tonight.
snow report
@dobby, Let me know if I can help. I know a few great instructors (and we also have a spare room wink )
ski holidays
@dobby, I love Belle Plagne. Great options of altitude or tree skiing depending on the weather. Nice variety of pistes and Belle Plagne has a nice feel too, especially the bar which usually has pate and bread you can scoff down during an after ski pint or four.
snow conditions
@dobby "talk" to @tatmanstours - Saalbach is a wonderful resort - solo or not
snow report
Why don’t you look at a ski safari in the Dolomites- they look amazing the promo vids on you tube show them well. I have never done one but you get to stay in a refugio up the top most nights so ski off before first lift and you’re with a gang (assuming you like peole) so it’s social too
ski holidays
Whistler Smile
Awesome instruction and learn how to do “off piste” while in bounds. Resort hosts will take you round at your level for free.

(I’m assuming it’s like Banff, but I suggest Whistler as it’s mid-Jan).

Jetlag works to your advantage right up until you land in the UK again.
snow conditions
@hawkesbaynz, In Tignes there's a "social" meet every Monday evening which is well supported. Last year the venue was the Cave du Loop.(next door to the Loop Bar). Have to agree about the ILG. I got lucky last season when I ended up with 1 to 1 sessions off-piste because of other skiers dropping out due to illness or injury. And I also did an All-Terrain week with Snoworks that I thought was excellent.
ski holidays
@dobby did Montgenevre solo last season with Ski Miquel - they have a random single room at this resort (it was originally a double but couldn't realistically be marketed as such) so fairly good value.

Food / Wine excellent - with ski guiding thrown in for free all week it was a very sociable holiday and much less stressful than dragging the wife and kids along! Skiing wise nothing is too taxing and with Italy easy to ski to for lunch it makes for a good all round resort IMO
latest report
Hi all. Thanks for everyone's input. I've joined a group going to ADH. Always wanted to ski there so will hopefully be a good trip.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy