Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Inappropriate ski's

Poster: A snowHead
Hey, the people I am doing my instructors course with in Whistler this winter are saying that my Line Elizabeths are inappropriate to do the course on. They are too wide under foot (and having them centre mounted is not ideal) for the type of tight radius turns etc. I will need to be able to demonstrate in order to pass.

So my question is, does anyone have any recommendations for a ski with a narrower waist and a more exagerated side cut which will let me comply with their recommendations. I'm still keen to have a twin tip if such a thing exists in this type of ski and they need to be mounted for free-ride. I want to be able to use them on something other than just piste.

I will buy them when I get to Canada to save on travel weight but wanted to heads up of what to be looking out for, see if anyone had any ideas. Research I can be doing etc. to get me in the know before I go...?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Forget about a twin tip especially if you are doing your level 2. Not even sure if the course conductors would allow it. I would look at something with a turn radius in the 14-17m range (give or take) and a waist mid-high 70's/low 80's.

Who are you doing it with?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
bensley,

I think there was a thread about the type of skis that were 'allowed'.. I think Rob@rar and PhilipStanton, to name just two, had good tips for why and what have you in this respect, IIRC.

Maybe PM them if they don't show up here.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
bensley, good on you for trying though. Laughing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ARV I'm doing the course through 'non-stop'. Really looking forward to it. and yes I'm going for my level 2 so I guess I'll need to conform with my choice of ski for the more technical elements required in that.

parlor I guess I'll just keep the Lizzie's for the park / backcountry Very Happy

JT I'll PM those guys to see if they have the link to that thread still kicking about somewhere.

Going to look online while I'm at work, need to try and remain sane while the banking world is falling apart around me.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
bensley, you'll love it, I did a Nonstop course this year. As for skis they will expect you to have something that fits within the criteria I gave in my first post. As well as your park skis and the skis you will use for your instructing I would go for some dedicated powder skis.. but thats me.

The Nonstop guys will help you out when you get there, will tell you what they expect you to buy, where you can get it and what discount they offer-chances are they will have arranged a discount for you at local stores (if not you generally get a discount with a season pass)
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
bensley, I got a pair of ~04/05 K2 Public Enemies that might do the job for you...
Could do you a good price wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
bensley, i am in the same boat but BASI not CASI, There arent any "rules" for L1 or L2 level courses as far as I know but you want something that you can rip short turns on while still being okay for variables and bumps.

you dont want Twin tips as the trainers frown on them due to the rooster tail kicked up and not being able to see the person ahead if you are doing follow me type drills.

have a look here http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=36020&highlight=
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I did most of my BASI L2 on a pair of Elan Magfire 12s. About a 17m radius and 76mm underfoot. Skis with that kind of geometry seem like a good compromise for the kind of stuff you're going to be doing during the course: tight enough radius for on piste work, not so extreme that your snowplough demos are going to be hard work, OK in bumps, and with a little more width than a dedicated piste ski to give you a bit of help in powder.

On one of the days during the course I switched to my Volkl Karma (twin tip, 89mm under foot) because we'd had a lot of snow over night. They were great for the morning we spent doing off-piste assessments, but in the afternoon they were too much of a liability for the piste performance work we were asked to demo. I went back to the Elans for the rest of the course and felt that overall they were far more suitable for the mix of skiing we did.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I got a level 1 CSIA qualification on Rossi B1 Bandits back in '04
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Not to take it away from anyone (including myself) but if you don't pass CSIA Level 1, you shouldn't be allowed on the hill.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ohalex wrote:

I'm pretty sure I could get a CSIA1 on pontoons, but it doesn't mean it's a good idea. CSIA2 is a lot harder, and while I'm one of the biggest proponents of 90mm being about the thinnest reasonable waist size for a non-racer, I'll be on 70mm carvers for exams.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Can't go wrong with something like the HEAD Magnum
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DaveC wrote:
ohalex wrote:

I'm pretty sure I could get a CSIA1 on pontoons, but it doesn't mean it's a good idea. CSIA2 is a lot harder, and while I'm one of the biggest proponents of 90mm being about the thinnest reasonable waist size for a non-racer, I'll be on 70mm carvers for exams.

What's your point? I know it's a lot harder, im just telling the guy what i used.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Well, my point is that just because it's possible doesn't mean it's a good idea.
snow report
Quote:

I got my BASI Grade II tech (ISIA) on twin tips back in '06 Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
bensley, I think you might have to have a serious word with them about their "ghey" recommendations and suggest they man up a bit wink

Can't you just go to the reuseit centre when you get their and pick up some old slalom jobbies for $20?
latest report
freestyleandy wrote:
Quote:

I got my BASI Grade II tech (ISIA) on twin tips back in '06 Laughing Laughing Laughing

haha brilliant!
snow report
 monster77
monster77
In the latest BASI course brouchre they are staing what Radius ski is needed, there is a move away from the small radius ski.

Last edited by monster77 on Mon 13-10-08 12:57; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
I wondered about Scot Missions for the BASI courses - thought it might be a good 'cheat' ski wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy