Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hurting calf muscles

Poster: A snowHead
JT, no need for "IMV" it is fact Little Angel
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
RachelQ, and try running in them for the stretches... Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Did somebody mention high heels and running?

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2007-07/22/content_6411972.htm

http://shoes.about.com/od/imagegalleries/ig/Stiletto-Run-High-Heel-Race/Running-in-Stilettos.htm
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

higher heels are good

men are so shallow... wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
easiski, snowball, thank you for the details, that is certainly not explained on their website, and apologies to RachelQ for the thread creep.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
easiski wrote:

CEM, I'm astonished that your instructors and coaches are such idiots! Anyone who would just buy boots mail order can't be giving their clients good information can they? Shocked

it is their stupididy which turns them into my customers Toofy Grin, i don't send them out to buy these boots...by the time they pay for the recification work, in most cases they would have been cheaper paying full retail price for the boots
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
CEM, NPR wink Toofy Grin
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
CEM, I didn't mean to imply that you did anything other than rectify a bad situation, but I wonder what they say on the hundreds of occasions per season when the student asks about buying boots - usually 'what boots should I buy?' - er skiboots wink wink

Spyderman, What does NPR mean?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi all,
I'm a bit late into this but had texted RachelQ on Tuesday to share my 'ouch' and check I wasn't the only one. I think docsquid got it in one. I'm pretty sure my toes were not relaxed. It was an excellent lesson, well worth the pain to get the distinction of, uhum, thrust! wink Thanks Euangoneskiing Blush
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Guess what?....strained mine 10 days ago, and have now managed to make it a fair bit worse. Just walking has resulted in 2 episodes of a shooting pain followed by a nasty ache. rolling eyes rolling eyes
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Frosty the Snowman, sorry to hear that Sad
You might have a small tear in your gastrocnemius muscle - would be worth getting it checked. It's a slow recovery, 4-6 weeks.
Good luck
xx
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

You might have a small tear in your gastrocnemius muscle - would be worth getting it checked.

How would that be identified - and what would you do to help repair it?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi pam w, only speaking from personal experience - when mine went it was really obvious (couldn't walk on it at all) and I ended up in a cast (though it came off a few days later) - so I don't know for a less severe tear but I imagine there'd be some prodding around by the doc/physio to be sure. Healing is passive but you have the instruction in your ear to Stay Off It and you might even get a crutch to take some of the strain. I was on crutches for over four weeks rolling eyes . All better now though Madeye-Smiley - it happened years ago.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
easiski wrote:
Snowshark, I spend so long stretching in the shower in the morning that I use more water than a bathfull! Shocked Hot baths are for nice evening relax and warm up after a freezing day on the mountain. Very Happy
Saunas are good too if you're lucky enough to have one. I've never had the option of both so don't know which is best, other than that (Finnish) saunas use a lot less water than a bath.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Football last week received some sort of calf injury, right leg, right side of leg. Sore when walking or stretching. Currently deep heating it up although it seems like the problem might be further inside than deep heat can work for. Maybe stay off it for a wee while.
snow report
arv,

Impact injury or just over-stretching..?

Sounds like a pulled muscle... you will not be able to use it for a few days..if it prolongs then see someone who knows about these things...pref a sports person, not a GP..IMV
snow report
Over stretch in some capacity. Didn't notice it till' after. Thinking I might need a couple weeks off-stairs are an issue right now.

Maybe a good excuse for a massage.
snow conditions
arv,

Guessing..but I have had a good few of these things. Likely to be not so serious if you didn't notice it at the time.

a) A strain is ok-ish and you can generally run them off... might come back to haunt you when you cool down and it seizes up...so a possible.

b) A pull defo hurts and more likely to be instant.. so you probably would have noticed it at the time.. as in a pulled hamsring...you pull up straight away with a bolt-like pain....possibly not a bad version of a pull

c) A tear...doubt it..as you would be in agony with every step...which you may well be, but, again, I think this would have been noticable straight away.

I'd say it sounds like a pull..so will be impossible to put any meaniful weight on it for a few days.

Hot and cold water on it can calm it down and help bring out a bruise.
snow report
JT, Thanks for that. I did take a knee to the back of the head at the same time which may have removed from the pain. I'll give it the hot and cold treatment and see how it goes.
ski holidays
I'm no expert, but with any bruising/strains I've had the advice has been to use Ice on the area for a short while every few hours and keep the affected area elevated. I'm not sure deep heat would be a good thing.....

When I pulled my hamstring whilst sprinting, it was, as JT says, an instant pain. The physio did all the things below as well as advising me to take Nurofen to reduce swelling.

The RICE Method: Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation

http://www.parknicollet.com/healthadvisor/firstaid/rice.cfm

which says

Quote:
During the first 48 to 72 hours, or as long as there is any swelling, do not apply heat to an injury. Heat increases blood flow to the affected area, which makes swelling and pain worse.
snow report
JT wrote:
arv,

Guessing..but I have had a good few of these things. Likely to be not so serious if you didn't notice it at the time.

a) A strain is ok-ish and you can generally run them off... might come back to haunt you when you cool down and it seizes up...so a possible.

b) A pull defo hurts and more likely to be instant.. so you probably would have noticed it at the time.. as in a pulled hamsring...you pull up straight away with a bolt-like pain....possibly not a bad version of a pull

c) A tear...doubt it..as you would be in agony with every step...which you may well be, but, again, I think this would have been noticable straight away.

I'd say it sounds like a pull..so will be impossible to put any meaniful weight on it for a few days.

Hot and cold water on it can calm it down and help bring out a bruise.

There is no difference between these three diagnoses, they are all ways of describing the same thing.
snow conditions
arv, Treat my discriptions as degrees of the injury.

Having experienced all of these, it is there or thereabouts.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy