Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

skis for 60% piste 40% off piste?

Poster: A snowHead
am looking for some skis that will be suited to 60% on piste and 40% off piste. will be skiing in canada this season (whistler then banff). want some skis that will help take me from difficult red runs onto the easier blacks and still have a forgiving feel to them. i also want to start going off piste more but i dont want to have to buy another pair of skis in the next 3yrs so thats why im aiming more at the all mountain skis instead of a piste ski. from what i can find the skis that seem the most suitable are the ficsher watea 78 and the movement spark, would i be on the right track with these?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Go wider. 85mm+
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
shapes,

60-40...???

In europe the Spark would fit the bill very well but keep the speed down in deep snow.
If you are going to go faster there you'll find a bigger platform underfoot will be more solid.

The Fury or Mission might work for you as well
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
yep 60% piste and 40% off-piste. so the spark might not be the best option for this then?

who makes the fury? just looking on ellis brigham and it says the scott crusade are the ski of the year and will do piste and off-piste without compromise for intermmidiates upwards. anyone tried these?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
shapes,

The Sparks are a great ski, IMV...as an all-rounder. I have skied on them these last 3 seasons but in deep snow they will get knocked about a bit if you are going pretty fast. In that instance, you might want a bigger ski or slow down a bit.
For 60-40 they'll be up there with the best in class, IMV.

I think we are getting our wires crossed about fast in deep snow, possibly....they'll do medium size turns or s's there all day.

Salomon Fury.
Don't know the Crusade but the Mission is a very turney ski..if that is what you want.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Whistler then Banff? Watea 95

Think of it this way:

60% off piste and you have no OP skills. 40% on piste and you have good on-piste skills.

Stop wasting your money on skis that are optimised for what you already know how to do.

Get ones that are good for what you want to do but don't know how yet.

They will make the transition easy instead of forcing you to

- balance front to back on a bending sub-85mm ski where the bend changes with speed (you have to keep the body on the skis- pitch plane)
- keep the sub-85-mm from yawing out or getting deflected by the snow (you have to keep the skis under the body - azimuth plane)
- keep the tip-side edges of the sub-85mm ski from diving (roll plane stability from ankles)

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 6-10-08 14:52; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Shapes, you would get more precise info/reccomendations if you post your weight/height.
Subject to your stats, demo HEAD IM78. It is a sandwich contsruction/vertical sidewall ski that gives you excellent edge hold on piste and good flotation off piste. I enjoyed mine on-piste and was very pleased with them in knee deep pow. A brilliant ski IMO.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
shapes, Tornado is a great ski but The Salomon Lord is the new and improved ski over the fury and is getting rave reviewes from all the ski mags got some reverse camber thing going on

The magfire 12 and the Nordica hot rod (the 85mm underfoot one) Are all great all round ski
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Is the Mission a twin tip ?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I skied the Head IM78 at Lake Louise and Banff for 7 days and didn't particularly like it. It wasn't as fast as or held an edge like my fischer AMC 79s on piste and wasn't noticeable better off piste. Sure enough, it's a good ski, but it didn't make it particularly easy to ski off piste. I'd go with comprex on this and get something wider and longer if you really want to enjoy the snow conditions you'll get out there. Chances are you'll be skiing softer, deeper snow when on piste than you do at many resorts in europe anyway.

When we were there, we spent about 90% of our time finding as much off piste as possible. It was just soooo much fun. Bear one thing in mind as well, just because the trail is marked on the map, doesn't mean to say that it's pisted/bashed!

Why don't you wait until you get out to Whistler, demo some skis from the local ski store and then buy the ones you like best when out there. I'm pretty sure you'll get to demo what you want for free if you're going to buy from them.

Enjoy Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The new Scott Crusade is rated as a 60% Piste / 40% Off piste ski (93mm under foot, turn radius 14.9m) and was one of the most popular skis being ridden at the British ski test in Saalbach earlier in the year.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
david@mediacopy wrote:
Is the Mission a twin tip ?

Nope, but there is a twintip version in the Punisher
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Skied the Scott Crusade at MK. Stiffer than the Misssion, really felt like it needed more speed (in the length I tried) and need a bit more work than the Missions I tried at the same session. In the same vein as the Line Prophet, I guess. Would love to try it on the mountain proper. Didn't try the Spark but the Yaka Jam was great fun. The Watea 78 seemed laid back in comparision.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I really don't get how you can expect to add ski performance up to equal 100%. It makes no sense to me. What on earth is "60% piste"? Sounds like utter marketing rubbish.

Fatter skis will perform better in soft snow, thinner skis will perform better on harder snow. Shorter radius skis will turn easier and want to keep on edge, longer will pivot easier and go straight better. Stiff will go fast well and not deflect in questionable snow, softer will de-camber and turn at slower speeds and float better in pow.

What do you want out of your every day ski? IMO, in North America, the snow's nearly always soft. It won't really be icy unless it's rained lower down, which means it's soft higher up and you want to be up there. If it's rained top to bottom, stay in bed, or rent some GS type skis.

Something like Volkl Gotamas and Scott P4s, with 110mm waist and 20m sidecut, will rip day in day out so long as the snow's soft. If it's boilerplate, they're not much fun. If it's fresh, they'll make your powder/off piste inexperience much less obvious like Comprex said.

You can scale this down, and go for something 90mm ish - Missions, Prophets, etc - they'll be fine on a boilerplate day too, and they'll make life reasonably easier off-piste. Personally, I hate Missions, but YMMV.

You don't need a 65-70mm type ski.

Anyway, all you should be doing in the UK is narrowing down a range of skis to try out and test.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Stoeckli Stormrider XXL
latest report
Oh for feck's sake. Stop skirting the issue everyone. There is only one correct answer.

Nordica Dobermann SL-R

The ultimate go anywhere ski.
latest report
David Murdoch, what kept you?
snow report
shapes, no ski will do piste and off-piste without compromise so may as well stop looking now wink

Ime few skiers are capable of doing clean carved slalom turns. Far fewer will be able to do them on anything close to mid-fat, not to mention on some of the skis mentioned here! Confused

So it's a question of emphasis. Imo if you're still pursuing piste nirvana then anything much over say 75-80 mm will hold you back. 70-75 mm if you're on the small/light side physically. However if you just want to get off piste, then a wider ski will help in deeper/softer stuff, imo say 85-90 mm. 80-85 mm if a smaller build. I'd say that'd be the best compromise waist for what you're describing - any fatter and someone who's relatively inexperienced would be significantly compromised on piste despite possible further gains in deep/soft off piste only (which though hopefully is what you'll get in Canada!). snowHead
snow report
I don't think a short radius 110mm ski is any harder to carve than a 90mm of the same radius. I guess I can't speak for your experience being a recreational skier but I don't see how carving a 90mm ski is hard either - try skiing Scott Missions, they're 90mm and so easy to turn and then irritatingly turny (13m radius) afterwards it'll start to grate Wink
snow report
red 27, Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

slikedges, SL-Rs will, honest Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
snow report
Listen to shoogly go to a shop in Whistler tell them you're going to buy and demo till you find what you like and skis well for you, then buy. Most but not all shops will give you the full discount for the demos when you buy.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy