Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What ski should I get for skiing deep powder?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, I'm considering buying a new set of skis. Presently use B2 bandits 183. Looking for a more dedicated deep powder ski, but one which will perform reasonably on piste as well.

I'm a young 40yr old lad.
Height 6'2"
weight 13 1/2 stone
quite an aggressive skier.
Standard reasonable off piste in most conditions and slopes.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Icelantic Nomad's- great ski really helps in deep powder and crowd stopping graphics and you can get them from Jons ski tuning on this site snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Big fat ones.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
powdermuppet,

Head M88
Mythic Ryder
Mantra
Everyone will say Missions but I wouldn't.....

Then there are Movement Thunders, G3 Spitfires..etc etc etc

All around the 184 mark, 89-93mm mark
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm currently thinking about getting a powder ski to boost my quiver a bit, so far i have the following under consideration:

4frnt EHP - 193

Armada ARG

DPS Lotus 138

Volkl Kuro

K2 Pontoon

ps i'm 5'11" and 12 stone
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
powdermuppet, take a look at the Volkl Mantra, one of my favourite skis from last year. It all depends where you are skiing your off piste.. if it was a pure off piste ski for North America I would be looking at the above sorta list but in Europe it would be completely different.

marmot, are you doing most of your skiing in NA I'd assume?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...

WhiteDot Redeemer. AKA Parlors ski.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Or a better photo of Parlor holding them.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kiwi1, did you get em on the water?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
arv, No Saturday the Loch was too choppy.
edit to say....Sunday we were to hungover and the loch was far toooooo cold.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
kiwi1, Laughing you should have asked for volunteers we were swimming in Loch Lomond right till the end of September.

Sorry guys-way to thread hijack Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Redeemers looking sick! Show me the tip rocker, dammit Kiwi1 Wink

OP, i'd recommend going a little fatter than the list recommended and consider rocker... Obsethed, Salomon Lord, Dynastar XXL if you're a charger? Then there's Marmot's list if you truely want a powder ski... but I'd add Praxis Powders to it, which is my current go-to ski.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
powdermuppet, welcome to snowHead

It depends on how easy you want to make your life really.

If you like to Billy Goat your way dwon stuff seeing how many turns you can make like an '80s postcard then one of JTs suggestions.

If you want to get in to slightly more modern freeride style skiing then marmot has suggested some good skis.

Mantra is a good all rounder but by no means a dedicated powder ski. Imagine your B2s on serious steroids.

For a powder ski in Europe I would lean away from anything with reverse sidecut (ARG, Praxis etc). You could go for reverse camber but normal sidecut like a K2 Hellbent or Volkl Kuro. Or a rockered ski like the K2 Obsethed, Salomon Rocker, BD Megawatt or Faction Royale. Or a plain old boring ski that would send you to sleep... not really, I would suggest Volkl Gotama (105mm underfoot) if you want to make tunrs, Volkl Katana (111mm) if you don't and a Faction 13 (112mm) if you want something in-between.

In summary, for your question:

Quote:
Looking for a more dedicated deep powder ski, but one which will perform reasonably on piste as well.

For your 6'2" you want something 185cm plus with a waist of around 100mm to 140mm.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
...I stopped for a sandwich while typing that!

kiwi1, now people will know I look like a boy-man-girl. Thanks.

DaveC, hard to do it justice. The rocker starts around the D of Redeemer.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Mon 6-10-08 15:25; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
parlor PMSL Toofy Grin
snow report
parlor, so it really skis like an EEMER?
snow conditions
powdermuppet wrote:
Looking for a more dedicated deep powder ski, but one which will perform reasonably on piste as well

If you want a dedicated off piste ski then make sure to get something that is circa 100mm (maybe even more) under foot. And 10cms+ longer than your piste ski. Ok - so you wont be carving perfect BASI style turns on piste - but you will be having a lot of fun, and wont ever go back. Wide skis make the off piste sooooo much easier - and pistes are just a method of linking the fun stuff.

Nice photos of Parlor by the way... Ha ha - Cool
Shame you never managed a water ski on those big boys.
Was surfing at Coldingham on Sunday - water wasnt that bad (and the perfect hangover cure!)
Though you do need a 5mm wet suit for sure.
ski holidays

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 6-10-08 14:52; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
parlor wrote:

snow conditions
Rossi S7 and Armada JPvsJ look interesting on the rockered/shaped side, and Line Prophet 100s are a safe bet too..

parlor, cool, cheers! Interesting too...so where's the tail rocker start? Any thoughts on swallowtails vs rockered tails in general (seems like the closest frame of reference for the Redeemer is the Solly Rocker is all)?
latest report
DaveC, the tail rocker looks more like a drawn out twin tip than a full on shovel. Maybe like the nose on some powder boards? Basically it starts at 250mm from the tip and raises to 75mm. The tip starts at 350mm and raises 90mm.

I had never looked the the dimension on the Sally Rocker before, we're exactly 1mm wider on tip, waist and tail. It will be interesting to ski them both.
latest report
parlor wrote:

That's old news, don't sweat it wink
snow conditions
comprex, I hope not. Depending on what you mean by that. I would have thought the shovel would remove any doubt.

Mosha Marc, it's meant to be a secret for people who are unfortunate enough to meet me. I might end up with e-stalkers now. Shocked
latest report
I'm skiing in Japan, Thought it looked great. A little more costly but I've worked too much this year and decided to treat myself.
ski holidays
powdermuppet, personally I would go for the new Rossignol S7 as the chances are you will be skiing a good amount of powder+it's f*cking cool. That's just me mind you..

See post 161
snow report
powdermuppet, Japan eh!

Very nice. Go 100mm+ and summat around 190cm.

You going on a course over there?
ski holidays
If you're hitting Japan... 195cm Praxis or, if you can afford them, DPS138s in 192cm... you can thank me later Wink

Rent "Believe" and see what the slightly nastier, but probably also awesome Armada ARGs can do and you'll see Very Happy
snow conditions
Wonder if I will get away with this...

<object><param></param><param></param><embed></embed></object>

A link will have to do Laughing

http://youtube.com/v/Xisr1IyWRRQ

That is the Japan part of Believe
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Japan....??? .can't see the point of lugging my suggestions all the way there. Something 95mm plus then and who cares about the on-piste performance
ski holidays
Redeemers look lurverly, shame about the models wink
ski holidays
arv, thank you for posting that. My god. Beautiful.

fatbob, that's what I said. Wink
snow report
powdermuppet, and nobody has suggested the obvious (you'll be bored reading me rave about them) Stoeckli DP Pro/Pro Plus... 184 or 193.

Unless it's too late already.
snow conditions
I'll provide you with the obvious smart-ass answer first as I prefer one plank...get a snowbaord. But since I'm not trying to start an arguement or convert you to the darkside, maybe check out Black Diamond. Apparently after talking with some hardcharging friends back in the states, the Megawatt flat-camber skis are pretty bad-ass. I lived in SLC, Utah for a longtime and that's where black diamond is based. Honestly, most companies I've come across form SLC are quite reliable considering its "mecca" status in the US snowsports world. All the gear I've ever bought from BD is hardcore, top-notch and warranteed for life if I remember correctly (don't quote me on the warranty, but none-the-less, everything I've purchased for backcountry use is still in perfect working condition after quite few years of abuse).
snow report
peakseason, nothing smart-assed out being a snowboarder. The OP was asking about skis because he's a skier and not an invalid. Nice recommendation though, the Megawatts, which not only flat cambered but have a rockered tip, look awesome. Twisted Evil
snow conditions
something 120+ wont perform too well on piste
100mm underfoot should be wide enough to have fun in the powder but skinny enough to use on groomed runs when there isn't any powder to be found.
then it depends on your skiing style, you like to turn a lot and play around, get something with a decent sidecut - you like to go fast and big, get less of a sidecut and a bit stiffer
use that as a guideline and see what you end up comparing - then get out there demo them - don't just rely on someone else written opinion. everyone skis different.
snow conditions
powdermuppet, first, find your powder...powder skis don't work too well as all round workhorses 'cos powder isn't easy to find...
snow report
David Murdoch, the first thing to find is a good pair of boots that are comfy for stomping up to find the untracked lines! Skis are merely a means to an end; boots are vital!!

snowHead snowHead
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy