Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

smoking ban in austria?

Poster: A snowHead
hi all . thinking of going back to austria next year with a few mates . any news of a smoking ban there yet ? i had a week in soll last march and the smoking indoors really started to pee me off . Sad
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
from the font of all knowledge that is Wikipedia..........

Austria....... No smoking in public places (e.g. airports, train stations, schools, universities, government administration buildings) and on public transport (e.g. trains) (fineable offence). Smoking is allowed in restaurants, bars and cafes. Bars and restaurants of more than 100 square meters must have non-smoking sections.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
God, we've got to have somewhere to smoke! Go to France if you want fresh air, leave Austria to us filthy smokers (or just cowboy up!).
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Over the last 2 years, I have noticed that more and more places in St Anton / Lech / Zurs have gone non-smoking. This trend is there... but a long way from having gone far enough.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
http://www.rauchverbot.at/
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
stanton, nice one, added my vote on the "ban it" side. It is the worst aspect of skiing in austria.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Could you not just choose to go to a no smoking bar, rather than have a ban???
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
JimSearle wrote:

Unless its changed since last season (and I have not heard it has) there is not one single non-smoking bar in St Anton and non-smoking sections of restaurants you can still smell smoke.
I forgot the Underground on the Piste is is non-smoking now but do people want to go to same place everyday?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
JimSearle wrote:

Maybe you could choose not to smoke then we wouldn't need a ban?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I do love arguments about choice because that just what they are never about...

They are all about the selfish few.....find another country or is it that too difficult for non smokers?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
i prefer non smoking bars, but it wouldn't stop me going to one.

This thing i hate most is smokers dropping their butts of lifts. I dont want to ski over cigarette butts. underneath one particular lift in La plagne, it was like skiing in an ashtray !!!

the other thing is people lighting up joints when on lifts with kids... tut, tut
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
cfc5mu0, Exactly....

Is there a term given to people who try to impose their own petty laws in foreign countries these days?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Guvnor wrote:
cfc5mu0, Exactly....

Is there a term given to people who try to impose their own petty laws in foreign countries these days?

I wouldnt call killing people petty. Everyone has the right to breath fresh air in & out of bars!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stanton, but if it ain't illegal, butt out of it. You can always make your protest by going elsewhere, i.e not Austria (although I understand how taken you are with their political views....)
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
stanton wrote:
I wouldnt call killing people petty. Everyone has the right to breath fresh air in & out of bars!

What? Even Muslims?

Laughing
ski holidays
Choice is exactly that....there are entire countries you could visit where you would not have to worry, if you choose to go to Austria (Im assuming your not there at gunpoint) then go to resorts where there are smoke free alternatives. Yes its bad for us but so is being alive, the grim reality is we are all on a one way ticket into the ground!
ski holidays
Gotta love smokers trying to justify themselves... rolling eyes
ski holidays
I thought that there was noticeably less smoking this Feb in Austria (specifically St Anton) than in previous years. Was also less of a problem this summer in Kitzbuhel than it has been in past years when skiing, but that may be a different demographic.
snow conditions
i found there to be a lot less smoking in Austria this year than 3 years ago. Most restaurants had areas where smoking was either not allowed and/or barely noticeable. Some apres bars were smokey, but we just hung around outside and only had to suffer smoke when buying drinks. Overall not a major concern.

No doubt in a couple of years, Austria will be pretty much smoke free, and Jim et al will have to move on somewhere else. Sorry mate, but that's the way it is ...
snow conditions
richmond wrote:
I thought that there was noticeably less smoking this Feb in Austria (specifically St Anton) than in previous years. Was also less of a problem this summer in Kitzbuhel than it has been in past years when skiing, but that may be a different demographic.

This is because people coming from countries where the ban is already is in existance did not relise you could still smoke in Austrian bars. i.e They had got used to no smoking bars. I heard this a lot from Irish people who actually went outside bars in St Anton to smoke !!
latest report
Quote:

I heard this a lot from Irish people who actually went outside bars in St Anton to smoke !!

The Irish in Andorra do the same, when I mentioned that smoking was allowed inside, they said the prefered bars without smoke and continued to shiver outside, (anybody know why they just wear T shirts)
snow conditions
I have resigned myself to Poland and Slovakia, and then prob Russia, hopefuly they will have finished Krasnaya Polyana by the time the Austrians ban it Twisted Evil
snow report
i don't smoke, but i'm "pro-choice". smokers should have a bar or two to smoke in, non smokers should as well. bar owners should have the choice of who they cater for.

at the end of the day you have the choice, go in the bar or don't. the only group who should be banned are the whiners on both sides - anyone caught in a bar saying "why should i have to go outside for a fag" or "i hate being in bars with smokers because they make my clothes smell" or whatever shouls be banned. Cool
snow conditions
Austria is catching up on the no-smoking front although the rules aren't always strictly adhered to. All that smoke can't be good for goretex jackets etc.
ski holidays
markP wrote:
Gotta love smokers trying to justify themselves... rolling eyes
Smokers willingly inhale that crap, despite knowing exactly what harm they are doing to themselves. I guess they'll try and justify just about anything - based on their own impeccable judgement.
ski holidays
chrisdavis, markP, I don't see any smokers trying to 'justify' themselves (whatever that means) or anything else. What I see is some smokers (and at least one non smoker, rogg) arguing in different ways for the ability to smoke on private premises. Whether you agree with that or not, it's not an attempt to 'justify' themselves.
ski holidays
richmond, I've re-read - and you're right. It's not really justification - it's crazy talk. "find another country or is it that too difficult for non smokers?"

I guess I just don't understand addiction. We have a few friends who smoke. When we used to go out for meals they'd expect us all to sit in the smoking section - rather than them go and sit/stand there for a smoke when they needed one...no matter what the group size. That strikes me as selfish and thoughtless.

Smoking / Non-smoking bars is a really sensible idea, one that I'd fully support.
ski holidays
Every single anti smoking zealot i have ever met are so pumped up with self righteousness when attacking smokers that they overlook the fact that they will climb into their vehicles,fire them up and not give it a second thought about choking anyone nearby with their exhaust fumes,but that's ok though isn't it?
I was smoking outside on a mid mountain cafe terrace at Snowbird,Utah and got some verbal from 4 non smoking skiers who were sitting 15 feet away.I invited them to go skiing for an O2 fix if they were that desperate as it was not against the law to smoke out side especially as ashtrays were on the tables.Which they did.
I saw them later in the car park start their big pick up with a lot of exhaust fumes belching out all over a passer by who visibly choked on it.

What a bunch of hypocrites.

Rob

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Wed 15-10-08 12:16; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
cc_7up, vehicles tend to operate out in the open - where fumes can disperse. Isn't this thread about smoking in enclosed premesis? Or weren't you after reasoned debate?
snow conditions
his is not a time to give up smoking, the counrty is nearly bankrupt and im sure no one wants to raise an extra 20 billion via direct taxation (thats about 5.5p on the basic rate). better to tax us and then traet us like leppers! lol And before anyone tries to tell me we are paying for our own healthcare I would like to point out that we all die very quickly and cheaply from massive heart attacks or lung cancer at 55 rather than costing billions by living till 90 like all the other healthy non smoking folk out there Laughing
latest report
when i was in soll this year one of the bars there had a no smoking area were we sat . but people still smoked in there and there were ash trays on the tables . the problem is im not booking the holiday my mate is , who smokes.
snow report
chrisdavis wrote:
cc_7up, vehicles tend to operate out in the open - where fumes can disperse. Isn't this thread about smoking in enclosed premesis? Or weren't you after reasoned debate?

Chris... I think he is just a troll, or it was a very poor attempt at fishing... rolling eyes
ski holidays
tim000 wrote:
when i was in soll this year one of the bars there had a no smoking area were we sat . but people still smoked in there and there were ash trays on the tables . the problem is im not booking the holiday my mate is , who smokes.

This is what I object to i.e. When you see a non-smoking sign, go in order a beer & food then a smoker comes in and lights up next to you.
ski holidays
chrisdavis wrote:
I guess I just don't understand addiction. We have a few friends who smoke. When we used to go out for meals they'd expect us all to sit in the smoking section - rather than them go and sit/stand there for a smoke when they needed one...no matter what the group size. That strikes me as selfish and thoughtless.

Smoking / Non-smoking bars is a really sensible idea, one that I'd fully support.

I wouldn't eat in a smoking section just to enable friends to smoke, and they shouldn't have asked. To use 'addiction' as an excuse for selfishness is pathetic.
ski holidays
cc_7up, You really didn't think that example through did you? I can't remember the last time I started up my car in a bar...

JimSearle, It's very easy to be flippant about such things. Unfortunately the amount of money that has to be spent keeping you alive a little bit longer is huge.
I can also assure you that when you get to 55 you will gladly trade a short lifetime of smoking for just another couple of years with your parents, wife, partner or kids.
I speak from experience.
It's a shame people can't live their lives vicariously.

Just a thought.
ski holidays
cc_7up wrote:
Every single anti smoking zealot i have ever met are so pumped up with self righteousness when attacking smoking that they overlook the fact that they will climb into their vehicles,fire them up and not give it a second thought about choking anyone nearby with their exhaust fumes,but that's ok though isn't it?

What a bunch of hypocrites.

Rob

And every single smoking zealot I have met brings out this stupid "argument" as if it has some merit. It doesn't.

1. Vehicles are driven uotside and I have never known any anti-smokiung zealot suggest that smoking should be banned outside (althogh there probably are some who do).

2. Smoking is always done purely for the pleasure of the smoker, while driving a vehicle usually (but not always) has some other purpose, even if the pleasure of the driver is one of the purposes.
ski holidays
ulmerhutte wrote:
chrisdavis wrote:

Chris... I think he is just a troll, or it was a very poor attempt at fishing... rolling eyes

I think many smokers genuinely believe there is a comparison, because the argument is raised every time by somebody.

He may just have been trolling this time, but I wouldn't assume it.
snow conditions
I am a smoker. This is my choice.

I do not and would not light up in a non-smoking bar or restaurant. This is my choice.

I choose not to smoke when out with a group of non-smoking friends, nor expect them to sit in a 'smoking' section to appease my habit. This is my choice.

I would not smoke in front of children. This is my choice.

I do not litter my filter tips over the street or mountainside, as I carry a portable ashtray. This is my choice.

I would, however, smoke in a bar which is designated 'smoking'. This is my choice.
ski holidays
i enjoy a smoke.. i actually dont enjoy smoking indoors any more and prefer to go 'outside' for an occasional marlboro light.. i would never smoke at lunch or dinner.. i wouldnt even smoke while doing something as simple as walking.. the whole point of having a smoke is to stop and enjoy it.. i agree with Guvnor, having a fag and beer in a smoking bar is fine by me, especially sking, when outside can be grim! though my fave ciggy is always on a long boring chair lift..
snow conditions
I am amazed that a country obsessed with cleanliness, health and recycling has not yet banned smoking. Having been smoke free for nearly 3 years in Scotland now, I always find it a bit of a shock going places where smoking is not banned. I'm guessing that it's only a matter of time and would very much welcome such a ban, in public places. Whilst smoking in pubs does not necessarilly annoy me, I much prefer frequenting them smoke free. Picking up on Guvnor's response - I only wish more smokers were as considerate - unfortunatly the vast majority are not.

Can't say I've noticed less smoking around St Anton as it pretty much seems compulsory for folk to smoke everywhere. This year my family and my friends family (all with kids) were sitting at the ice bar above Oberlech sipping on some champagne, admiring the amazing scenery only for a bunch of lads to sit at table next to us and chain smoke - it really did ruin the experience. The sooner a ban comes in the better.

Having asked some smokers about the effect of the smoking ban, most of them seem to welcome it as it has cut down their consumption.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy