Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowboard locks

Poster: A snowHead
Been perusing the sites for gear this year and one thing that keeps popping up is the locks for boards. I have never locked up my board or skis in my life, but has anyone ever had anything taken?

Does anyone bother to lock up their boards whilst at the mountain restaurant?

Or at the hotel for that matter? I suppose we put them in the hotel racks with everyone elses with no regard for who comes down there. people's opinions would be interesting....
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
depends how stupid people are, rental skis are always being taken by mistake "but mine were blue"
If you're in resort at half term/xmas then yeah lock that up.
I never leave my board in a hotel rack, under my bed for that bad boy.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
the classic lock with the thin cable survives about 3 seconds after attack with a decent pair of wire cutters as in a leaterherman, gerber or similar. My mate had buggered his lock and his combination wasn't working (honest!)

so it's won't prevent theft merely dissuade somoeone from taking your kit and go elsewhere. I tend to lock my board if I'm in the main village and will be out of site of the board for a period of time (lunch or similar) and tended not to bother in mountain restaurant etc..
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
yes all the time. if you've paid £350+ for a board and some f**ker has their eye on it, why NOT lock it up?
Try an sit somewhere you can keep an eye on your kit. Thats what we do.
I use a Burton lock but i've seen 1 in Blacks outdoor store that is about 10mm thick and will take a while to just "snip" off.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I use a cable lock for my skis/board. I wouldn't leave my ipod or my digital camera outside while I went for lunch....and they both cost less than my skis!

I know that it won't stop someone determined, but my insurance states that reasonable care must have been taken, and I would class this as "reasonable care".
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We have a couple of locks between us so not matter what splinter group we end in, we can always lock our boards up if we can't see them. We also now lock them up if the ski room is communal with no lockers.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Never bothered with one...I am wondering now.. My board is cheap but it would be a hassle to have it nicked...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
a lock at least stops some one accidentally picking it up - alternatively just get a pink board or plaster it with Snowheads stickers Very Happy i must get a lock in that case Laughing
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rayscoops, There is nothing wrong with pink boards Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
If leaving it in town e.g. couple of apres beers I lock it up using the cable lock from my bike: advantage it's solid disadvantage it's a key lock rather than combo. Restaurants I tend to leave it where I can see it . It's pretty distinctive so unlikely anyone will take it by mistake.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Swirly, it is the ones who take it 'not by mistake' to worry about !! Shocked
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rayscoops, exactly, hence using a lock that's a bit more robust than the normal ski locks.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Swirly, but then you have to carry it in a rucksack or risk pain if you fall on it in your jacket
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DebbiDoesSnow, no, you just have board with Swirly wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DebbiDoesSnow, I almost always board with a sack with shovel etc. anyway.
snow report
Good locks here http://www.bikemagic.com/news/article/mps/uan/3787 and here http://www.snowfit.co.uk/product/Snow/Tools-&-Maintenance/KRYPTONITE/R4-KRYPTONITE-LOCK/-9588 I may get Mr L one or the other of these for his birthday as he is paranoid about people pinching his stuff. the R4 had a combination rather than a key - can't decide which would be better.

Full Kryptonite range here http://www.kryptonitelock.com/Products/List.aspx?cid=1002
latest report
I use one of these. Lightweight and cheap! I guess it wouldn;t deter the determined theif with pair of cutters but it's good enough to deter the opportunist. £6 ish from B&Q.

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=9284299&fh_view_size=6&fh_start_index=144&fh_location=%2f%2fcatalog01%2fen_GB&fh_search=lock&fh_eds=%c3%9f&fh_refview=search&ts=1226330358833&isSearch=true
snow report
That B & Q one looks exactly the same as the ones that are being marketed by Burton and DaKine for half the price. I am concerned about the size and weight of things as no one likes tons of stuff in their pack if they can help it (bit different with a shovel). I've recently bought another board and got just shy of £500 worth of kit. Whether it was taken accidentally or on purpose, I would be devastated by missing my pride and joy. Determined to get something now I think.

Plus another excuse to buy more treats!
snow report
Just had a look and, yes, the Dakine ones look identical but twice the price! If you get down to B&Q before it closes tonight they have 15% off today so get it a bit cheaper still!
ski holidays
I almost always lock my board (even though it's bit old now) & try & make sure it's near a few unlocked boards - reckon the lock will prevent anyone accidentally taking it & also reckon anyone "unaccidentally" taking a board is more likely to walk off with the unlocked ones that surround mine than my locked one, if only because it's less hassle.
ski holidays
I'm with most other people here.....why would you risk it by not locking your board? Seems like a no-brainer to me....
latest report
awksquawk, Got a £5.99 from B & Q. Very light as well. Will stop someone just taking one, but will not stop a determined theif. There again, a good theif will not be detered by any lock if they are good enough.
ski holidays
As above, me and the little lady always lock ours up,,

a thief at the risk of being seen, would go for the easy unlocked board,,,it just gives you peace of mind more than anything..

.if someone really wants to take something.they will try their best... all you can do is make it harder for them !!!

My mate had his Motorcycle nicked from his garage, they broke into the house took the car keys, moved the car... broke in to the garage the door was padlocked then proceeded to cut his garage floor up with a stil saw. the bike was anchored to the garage floor. they then loaded the bike and garage floor it was attached to, in the back of a van... And did one ... oh but theydid put the car back and posted the car keys through the door !!!!!

How nice of them !!!

buy it its only a £5.00 better than your board going walkies
latest report
I've always locked mine (even a couple of 10 year old boards). I find the DaKine lock/leash perfect.

Of course the lock won't stop a pair of pliers/leatherman, but it might persuade the ill equipped opportunist thief to pick a board without a lock.

It might also help with insurance claims to be able to cite umpteen witnesses that a lock had been used.

Primarily, a lock allows one to relax (at lunchtime say) without having to continually keep an eye on the board - however much one should be able to rationalise the chances of theft as 1 in a million.
ski holidays
Get a lock, use it, be happy.
We had a spate of thefts and attempted thefts this autumn on the glacier. Enterprising pikeys robbed one of our guys boards and then attempted to bury it in the snow on the edge of the piste. Fortunately one of the pisteurs spotted them and the gear was reunited with us. Also bags, helmets anything of value...look after it. theft is getting way worse in the mountains. Its 20 euros to buy a lock and about half a minute at a lunch stop to save yourself at least half a day in the gendarmerie, talking to insurance companies and re-equipping yourself. Let the other suckers lose their gear, lock it up! Cool
snow report
Such shame that the mountains are like this. You would think since people are half-way up a mountain they would already have their own equipment with them. Bit obvious if swinging down a piste with spare board!
snow report
croskemj, unfortunately the cannon fodder has grasped the idea that ski resorts are full of valuable items poorly secured. We get mobs of them here every peak season period. One lot rolled up to the back door of a hotel and emptied the whole tech room into the back of a van a couple of years ago.
latest report
A lot of the time people havent intentionally stolen anything, one idiot can't find his equipment/cant remember what they hired, takes whatever they think is right. Next person cant find their equipment because idiot 1 took it, takes whatever they think they had and so on and so on. Eventually it gets down to non rental stuff being taken by idiots who have no idea what they hired in the 1st place. It happens so often every single day it's unbelieveable.
The best ones are the people who bring skis back to the shop and tear me a new asshole about not fitting the bindings properly, they couldnt get their boots in and had to miss half a lesson while they went to another shop to get them readjusted. The other shop will charge them for doing this so they are all way p1ssed off by the time they get back to me. A quick scan of the barcode reveals they took the wrong skis to start off with, this quickly descends into an argument about no they didnt and somebody must have taken their skis to start off with and put the wrong ones in their spot. I'd say out of 50 people who did that last winter one admitted being an idiot and apologised.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stab, and who said people could be stupid! Laughing
snow report
stab, Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

The TO I worked for most recently runs its own ski hire. We generally had warning of the above situation because last guest out would come to reception in a panic and say his skis had been pinched. Indicating that we could shortly expect the irate return of the tosser who hadn't bothered to check the serial number as instructed by the tech when he gave the kit out in the first place. rolling eyes
snow report
Lizzard, yep, when it happens it's automatically the ski hire place at fault, never idiot error.
I have a theory about the scare stories you hear "I came out of the restuarant and saw someone trying to take my skis"
My theory is they arent stealing the skis, you just caught them in the chain of I can't remember what I hired these ones are blue so they must be mine.
latest report
Most disappearances are properly atttributed to the idiot factor, but there are also envitably anywhere in the world, some scrawny basta*ds that have light fingers as noted by roggi, above. Back to corporal punishment - chop their hands off! Just kidding - (not good for a criminal barrister to say these things).
snow conditions
Savvy school groups turn up with ski ties with the kids names on - pick up the wrong skis and you're wearing the tw@t hat all evening. Laughing

I like those people.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy