Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Deux Alpes - Winter 2008-2009

Poster: A snowHead
Picture taken out of my bedroom window this morning of snow and catkins.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The final week of the Season is now here, Easiski,Many thanks for keeping this thread going and ensuring we are all informed of Winter life in L2A.
We are out next year in the 2 weeks before Easter, look forward to seeing you and others then,
Enjoy the summer.... Blush Little Angel Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Aztec, Might well get to see you again then after missing you by one week this year.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Arrived home from LDA in the early hours of this morning after a fantastic week! As always excellent spring skiing with lots of good snow about and even a powder day!!! Big thanks to easiski, for her instruction of the beginners in our group. They all thoroughly enjoyed and can't wait for next year!
Stayed in a chalet near the '1800' side of town called the 'Chalet Chantelouve' Was right under the Valentin and could walk out the door and onto to the Belle etoile lift to take you up to the cretes. Also had a spa and swimming pool which the kids and everyone enjoyed!
Would definitely advise LDA for an easter ski resort. My third time there compared to 5 times in val thorens and i much prefer LDA. Thanks to Charlotte for all her updates and i may even get out for a day or two in the summer!!!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Rode Deux Alpes for the first time in over a week today Embarassed

Really nice snow high up especially off piste on the glacier although vis wasn't the best: it was important to know exactly where you were going otherwise an impromptue trip down Muratouse/Mines might have occurred. Getting heavy lower down though.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Just back after a great week, yesterday was fantastic with loads of fresh snow & very few people snowHead
Would happily go back to LDA again Toofy Grin
Still getting over the £6.50 for a pint of the black stuff though Shocked
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
provenjohn, I thought it was busy! Not Feb busy to be sure, but too many peeps for comfort. Perhaps I'm just spoiled? Hah! Drink french beer - imports always cost more. Laughing Laughing glad you had a good time. Slightly more cheerful today, but still high cloud everywhere. forecast says it'll cheer up tomorrow. Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
easiski, Sorry we didn't manage to meet up with you, perhaps next season with luck.
Yes, the 24 bottles of beer at 5 euro from MarcheU were slightly better value Laughing
Thanks for your advice when we were booking snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Really quiet today, was slightly cloudy but it cleared up, got fresh tracks down the couloir electrique not bad considering I hadn't done it yet, did it twice and Chalance from the top of Signal in powder too. Worn out from doing the flat bit on Gours three times in a row. Nice snow on the Rachas too but tried to make it back to town down the Vallons du Diable which was porridgy to say the least!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Swirly, Amazing that Electrique is still skiable! I'm off up with teles tomorrow to try it out. Very Happy
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
easiski, have fun Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sounds like a great end to the season!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I was on the nursery slopes at around midday til 14.00 today, and I have to say it wasn't bad! Of course that was largely because not too many people were skiing there! It was warm and pleasant, but I believe there's been a bit of wind higher up. I forgot to take my camera with me I'm afraid, but will make sure I take it tomorrow when I go higher on the mountain. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Very nice on top today. Slushy below mid station after lunch though. Very warm and sunny.

Yesterday my wife who only skied around mid station went home as it was cloudy, but it was gorgeous on the glacier although a bit windy at times.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Is it still possible to ski down to the resort in LDA?
ski holidays
thanks for all the updates Charlotte, will be out again in the summer, hope you enjoy a well earned break! Very Happy
snow report
Whitegold, Yes via the Valentin.
ski holidays
Glad you had a good snow season, easiski. I imagine business has been good.
ski holidays
Whitegold, Business has been OK, but not quite as good as last year I don't think (hardly surprising). All of us are working really hard for next year though, and lots of people here are really quite depressed already! Skullie I think we can be pro-active, but much as I love the French, getting them to be flexible is something else. rolling eyes

I was up on the Cretes today, first doing a lesson (in French to Dutch people Shocked ) when the snow was really nice about 10.00 - 11.00 and then getting a bit softer. I then made a dash down the Valentin (getting narrow in places and pretty mucky - not much fun) to change to the tele skis and boots. Then back up to the Cretes again for my tele lesson. By then the snow was significantly softer, but there were still some patches of nice spring snow at the sides of the piste. Very Happy Needless to say I didn't attemp the Valentin on the teles at 14.00. Laughing Laughing

Pic shows the spring arriving and the Diable (closed) almost, but not quite, impossible. There are a couple more pix on my tele thread in BZK
latest report
easiski, did you do the Electrique? Been at AdH again the last couple of days, did L'Impossible with Gorilla yesterday photos on my thread. Scottish Skier has gone to Cham for a bit to try Mt Blanc.

Today would have been much better if the ESF weren't taking over 2/3 of the runs through the mid mountain area. It's pretty quiet but with everyone being funnelled down one run it's pretty nasty at the bottleneck. Saw two bad crashes withing an hour there today and god knows how many completely out of control skiers, boarders and bladers. Evil or Very Mad
snow report
Swirly, No - much too scary for me! Shocked

I was up at the Cretes again today at lunchtime, and the snow on the Petit Cretes was really super and there was almost no-one there (see pic). The Grand Cretes was a bit hard higher up which was a shock, and I hear that it rained up top and everything is really icy up there now. Sad I'll be around the place tomorrow with Annie and family, so will report on that then. The other pic is the view of the Pied Moutet side (obviously closed) from the top of the Grand Cretes.
snow conditions
easiski, What a difference in a week Shocked

Had electrotherapy on my knee today...not sure if it has done anything, but I have 2 more sessions next week!
snow report
R32, Keep your fingers crossed, and I'll do the same. I may ring one evening next week.

Today was sunny again with some cloud around, but windy. Annie, The Flying Bogee & Rob the Nav came along to visit, and Annie, James & I went skiing. Up at the glacier it was very windy and the Puy Salie seemed pretty hard. The Dome though was in nice condition at the top and James & I skied off l'Echines while Annie went down the Dome proper. We bailed on l'Echines after the steep bit as it was getting more and more solid bobbles and bumps. Later (having frozen doing this) we skied down via the Breche (bullet-proof) and the Gours (slightly soft and nice). It was great to show them stuff they hadn't been, but my plans for showing James a few off the off piste spots were scuppered by the wind and the hard snow.
It seems a bit silly, but I'd like a return to the nice soft spring snow for the last day please. There's still an amazing amount of snow around, it's not normal to be able to ski both the Gours and the Combe du Thuit at the very end of the season, and as one of the pix shows it's still possible to ski La Selle, even though the piste markers are in the foreground. The other pic shows part of the Jandri piste with 'Arno's couloir' straight ahead (some of you will remember the pix of our tracks in there 2 summers ago).
ski holidays
Really seems late season "conditions", nice that you can last your season at altitude....The lower parts seem more green than wihte Sad Sad
ski holidays
I didn't go up today in the end, as it was chilly and windy and the snow was going to be very hard. I was tired too, so the idea of all that hassle just to spend an hour on the Cretes wasn't very attractive. Sad It's a shame that the season is ending like this, but there you are.

Here's a pic of the Valentin, which, as you can see is still skiable to the bottom. You can see the traverse path across to the middle still with plenty of snow, and thus it would be possible to ski right down to the bottom of the Lutins in the centre of town. I've said (and it remains true), that I've never NOT been able to ski down to the town on the last day of the season. Very Happy

I've just been to a sort of prize-giving for the local club kids who've done well, and with a presentation to Pierrick Bourgeat, Marion Rolland and Sandrine Aubert who've done so well. Pierrick is hoping to be back properly next year, and Sandrine finished the evening off with a little PP presentation with photos of her season. Very Happy I didn't stay for the drinks and food as that didn't seem fair - they were laid on by the mum's of the club kids. It was all wonderfully amateurish with a mic that wouldn't work, and 2 kids who were left out until the very end (forgotten Shocked ). Still it's really something to have so many successes during the season. Very Happy Very Happy

I may report from time to time during the inter-season, but this is the end of this thread. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
snow report
Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Thank you for the daily reports/photos....almost as good as being there Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
easiski, today was great as long as you didn't go up before 12:00 or above 2600. Didn't ski the Valentin as the car was at the other end of resort, but did it yesterday - particularly liked skiing the last bit to Belle Etoile on one leg as there wasn't the width of snow for two skis!
snow report
easiski, thanks for the reports and the insights into LDA. Hope to see you at the camp,
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lizzard wrote:
particularly liked skiing the last bit to Belle Etoile on one leg as there wasn't the width of snow for two skis!
Laughing Laughing

Easiski, thanks for all the work in keeping us supplied with regular reports & pics - it is very much appreciated. It's sad that it is the end of the season, but I am sure you need a change of scene and a well earned rest even if it means a break in income too. Hope to see you when you're over here.
snow report
easiski, thankyou for your reports this season Madeye-Smiley I popped in to look daily whilst I was too busy to go skiing.

In reply to your question on the E0SB thread - my knee is realy good. I can feel it a bit, but the same as the 'good' one - so i think it is mainly because I have skied hard and fast mostly off piste all week Very Happy On piste was mostly big GS turns in slush absorbing the bumps at speed.
Late nights & hard skiing = weary lampbus Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
well, would you believe it? It snowed last night above about 1700m and has been raining here/snowing higher up this morning. Shocked This will bode well (if it continues as the forecasts say) for the start of the summer season and the Fast & Easy camps. Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
Thanks again for sharing all your pics and reports easiski, I've been a daily visitor.
snow report
New snow is always good news Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy