Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Klosters VERBIER or laax

Poster: A snowHead
Which of these resorts. Group of 4 adults 3 fairly strong intermediates who like challenging piste skiing and will dabble off piste. My view is we can't go wrong with any of above.

Dan
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
dan100,

Been to all and would agree, if going late in the season you should be aware that a lot of Laax's alopes get the sun though.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've also been to all three and would agree.

Will you have your own transport, and how much dabbling do you expect to do?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Substitute Klosters for Davos and you'll be able to access the same ski areas but with a bit less travel time. I don't know Laax, but would definitely say that Davos/Klosters area has more pistes that Verbier.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mosha Marc wrote:
I've also been to all three and would agree.

Will you have your own transport, and how much dabbling do you expect to do?

yes to transport- in terms of off piste more iteniaries and stuff at side that is not too steep -not hardcore back country
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
dan100, If you've your own transport, then all are a good bet.

The Verbier itineries are a great intro in my opinion. There's no navigation risk and so the need for hiring a guide is removed. The resort is, however, probably lacking on-piste compared to the others.

That said, I haven't been to Flims/Laax since they created their "safe" off-piste areas.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mosha Marc wrote:
dan100, If you've your own transport, then all are a good bet.

The Verbier itineries are a great intro in my opinion. There's no navigation risk and so the need for hiring a guide is removed. The resort is, however, probably lacking on-piste compared to the others.

That said, I haven't been to Flims/Laax since they created their "safe" off-piste areas.

I 'skied 1 or 2 of them about 11 years ago. I agree the piste skiing is not that extensive but some of the classic route are fun.

I quite fancy laax or klosters
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Verbier is a sensational place to ski - one of my favourite resorts, in fact. Switzerland is regarded as an expensive country, the resorts often costing more to book, but once there, I found it to be cheaper than many of the French resorts. Verbier's pistes are well maintained and well marked, extensive, challenging slopes with a lot of off-slope potential and some good bump runs. Verbier also has several routes which are half-way between pistes and off-piste descents. Designated as 'Itinéraires', they're marked as orange lines on the piste map, and waymarked on the ground, but neither groomed, nor controlled for avalanches. The ski patrollers close them if they're considered unsafe - but that doesn't stop people setting off avalanches. Verbier also has an incredible nightlife and great choice for afternoon après ski.
Over the years Klosters has managed to keep away from the forces of extended commercialization and has wonderfully managed to preserve much of the Alpine charm it has always been known for. The Klosters ski resort has several marked walks within the valley, by the river and up the mountains that offer skiers and non-skiers a great opportunity to bask in the warmth of the sun and relax, skiers have the good on- and off-piste.
Laax has an impressive 137 miles of mainly intermediate slopes and is very popular with weekenders.
I don't really recommend you Laax, try to decide between Verbier (if you prefer more comopolitan resorts with one of the best off-piste skiing) or Kloster (if you prefer more relaxing hollidays). At Laax you have buses or long walks to lifts from much of the accommodation and the village very spread out, which detracts from its charm.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
angel_ski wrote:
At Laax you have buses or long walks to lifts from much of the accommodation and the village very spread out, which detracts from its charm.

Confused Confused The best place to stay if skiing Laax is properly called Laax Murschetg, though most just call it Laax - the hotel accommodation is right at the bottom of the gondola or the cable car. I haven't tried the other two resorts but I think Laax would fit your requirements - we thought it was great. There's not a great deal of night-life if staying at Laax though, you're better of staying in Flims probably for that. SnowHead eng_ch has an apartment at Laax - if she doesn't see this thread you could PM her snowHead
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
dan100, yeah three of the best... All need to be done before you hang up your poles... Of the three I would save Verbier until your groups o/p skills have developed a little more to get the most out of the place.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'd imagine that you would save a packet by going to Laax - It's the only place I have been to ski in Switzerland so I will offer my views on the experience I had there.

Cost: I booked last minute on the internet around Jan 18 this year and for 3 nights, 3 days I paid 236 Swiss Francs, which included lift tickets and accommodation

Accom: Was in Laax-Murschetg at the Riders' Palace, short walk to the gondola. The place is very clean although dorm-style and mostly snowboarders and young people if you can stomach that.

Piste: Huge! elevation is from 1,100m to 3,200m plenty of untracked pow in the trees or you could go up the cable car to the far right of Flims (i think) where you have a huge bowl with an 800m drop.

Apres: The Rock Bar, top of the main Gondola above Murschetg - spectacular view of sunset.

As for Verbier I've only heard the chair talk about those 2 metre high moguls that encourage the skiers to go back down via gondola??
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks - I went to Verbier a long time ago and I remember the moguls being higher.

Choice is coming down to Laax or Klosters. Accomodation cost difference not that significant.

Is klosters expensive when there
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
dan100,
I have been to Klosters once quite a few years ago but to Davos several times including this year, as a general impression it is on the expensive side for Swiss resorts.
I have been to Flims /Laax once several years ago, my impression was it was average pricewise.

Main caveat is that those were general impressions. My own experience of Switzerland as a whole is that if you are not self catering or half board eating out in the evening is the bit that makes you wince. Otherwise prices have recently been better than the big French resorts. Obviously exchange rates may vary this.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
One of the benefits of Switzerland in my experience is that the prices don't go up as you go up the mountain Wink It's particularly good for reasonably priced but filling light lunches - if you opt for Laax I'll give you a couple of tips. And anyway, you can't go far wrong with a Bratwurst and a slice of bread Smile

Rusho's summary of the skiing in Flims/Laax is pretty spot-on but unless you're a 20-sth, the Rider's Palace wouldn't be my first choice. It's *the* venue if you're into the sort of music I'm not (!), but it's better still if you can go 'home' to your accommodation again afterwards
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Klosters and Davos can be expensive if you eat out every night and want to go to the trendy night spots, but as always there are cheaper ways to go. I once met a couple in Klosters who had rented a bedsit above the buchers shop and cooked in every night, they reconed that the whole trip was about half the cost of going with a tour Op and staying in the hotel that they used to have a couple of drinks in after they had eaten.
Supermarket prices are cheaper than in France, I was able to do a direct comparison as on my way back from Davos I stopped over in Chamonix for a week self catering. I have never been ripped off in Switzerland but I can't say the same about France.
ski holidays
Well Laax is the choice. flights booked hopefully apartment reserved. just need to sort out transfers - what's the best car hire option as the train to chur/ postbus or resort shuttle look pricey and won't be as convenient as car hire
latest report
Yeah I agree with Dycdiver Klosters is expensive and its not really something I would pay that much for. You don't want to shell out alot of money for largly substaandard accomodation. It is a holiday. I would recomend Chamonix to its nice great pistes and not to expensive as well. I hav ufortunalty been and payed alot of money which was for a pretty substandard holiday. Though it is anice country just bear in mind money speaks out there. Val Thoren slopes are probably one of the better ones I thought it was relativly priced but stick with Chamonix if your on a budget
snow report
dan100, we took the resort shuttle. It was quite pricey, had to wait 2 hours at Zurich airport for the shuttle to Laax. But the good thing was it was only the two of us there and back so we had a lovely plush private car shuttle. We could have had to spend all day Sunday at Zurich on the return trip if the shuttle kept to its times - as it was only us it left at a time convenient for our flight Very Happy

Another couple at our hotel did the train/postbus thing. They very nearly missed the connection on the trip back and I think it was about the same cost as our shuttle.

Either option wasn't particularly convenient. If you can, I'd hire a car.
snow report
thanks - looking at the resort shuttle It doesn;t look that much better value than a private taxi for 4 persons.
snow report
I'm going to Laax Early March for a long weekend with some friends 6 in total. Anybody got any idea of what the drink/food prices are for this year in the resort (staying in Laax Murchsteg) and on the mountain.

Thanks
snow report
cham08, Crisps 3,70chf, Espresso 3,20chf, Spag-bol 13,95chf Grosser-bier 8,00chf Very Happy
snow conditions
red 27, where'd you find that or are you yanking a chain? Prices up the mountain are usually much the same as at the base station
snow report
eng_ch, are you saying that prices are more or less than what red27 said?

Thanks
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy