Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz / Morzine / Les Gets / Chatel - 2008/9

Poster: A snowHead
ami in berlin, the runs off Grandes Combes are closed because of the avalanche risk. As is Crozats.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Avoriaz was in fine shape first thing this morning, we went up early and had Blu de Lac and the Fornet runs to ourselves early on - a few steps from the piste bashing to avoid while they were still hard but no probs - back home by 12.30, it got up to 20 degrees this afternoon, rain had been forecast but nothing has happened so far, supper cooked outside again now down to 6 degrees. There is snow on the latest forecast for 2000m in Les Gets - we wait and see, but I have no complaints with the combination of a bit of gentle skiing, bit of sitting around in the sun and the necessary bit of cleaning up the chalet.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
This was closed off Grandes Combes. I'm no expert, but I have a hard time seeing any avi risk here.
Moguls

I take your point about Crozats being sketchy if you were to venture far skier's left.
Long Ski Route
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ami in berlin, avalanche risk has nothing to do with how "sketchy" a run is.

The top of that first picture is around 30 degrees and increase to around 35 degrees around to far skier's left. That slope's received significant wind loading all season and has been closed for a large part of it. We're now going through a melt-freeze cycle and it's only a matter of time before that slope slides. When that lot goes it'll go big time as there's an awful lot of snow on it.

If you looked in the Fornet bowl there's been a reasonably-sized slab avalanche just below the cliffs - similar aspect and same steepness.

The black run on Chamossiere also shares a similar aspect and steepness. That's slid.

As have large chunks of the Point de Nyon.

And similar aspects on the Point de Vorlaz.

So, that's a north-facing, wind-loaded slope which is just the right steepness to slide and shares the same characteristics as slopes that have recently slid.

Quote:
I have a hard time seeing any avi risk here

You skied past a number of avalanche risk signs displaying "3" - "Considerable" risk. Meaning that avalanches can be triggered by a single skier.

You skied past not one, but several large orange signs saying "Piste Ferme".

You skied past a rather orange fence that they've put up that runs around 400m from the top of the Grandes Combes lift to a fair way down the Coupe du Monde run.

I'm not sure if you're expecting a personalised sign, but you obviously can't take a strong hint.

Having skied in the area for a while now I've developed a healthy respect for "Piste Ferme" - it's always there for a reason.

The slope itself isn't the biggest risk in the Crozats bowl as the slope is only around 25 degrees after the first few turns (although 25 degrees is still steep enough to slide). The bigger risks are from the steep slope behind the skier and the south-facing slope to skier's right. If you look at your second photo you'll see that slopes of similar aspects to the one behind the skier have already slid. The south facing slope is the one you traverse out of.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Some of the biggest wet peels I've ever seen in the Avoriaz & Les Crosets sectors (& the biggest crowd of numpties skiing past pisteurs manning a Piste Ferme sign)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
FlyingStantoni, I respect your superior knowledge on this matter and accept your explanation. I'm just a little confused, because in the first picture there is an open run directly below it (from where the picture is taken). If there is an avi risk, surely that open run is just as threatened? At some points during the day, there were upwards of 40 skiers on that face at a time. Now I understand that the fact that it didn't slide does not mean that it won't, but again wouln't any slide there affect the open rut at its bottem?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ami in berlin, thank you.

I can see what you mean about the risk to the slope below.

The main risk to the slope below would be from a slide that originates from where the Piste Ferme sign is that you can just about make out on the ridge towards the middle of the picture. Whilst it could reach the pisted slope it's quite a distance and there aren't any terrain traps for a reasonable distance behind - so the consequences of the avalanche would almost certainly be quite low.

The consequences of a slide would be worse if you skied the steeper section to skier's left as the natural run out would be into the V of the valley floor, which would act as a terrain trap.

I wouldn't be surprised if they actively manage the section of the slope just above where the run cuts sharp left after coming down off the ridge.

I know what you mean about 40 skiers being on a closed run. It doesn't make it right or sensible though. There were similarly lots of skiers ignoring the Piste Ferme signs on Chamossiere on the day it slid. Fortunately it slid at night.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My husband was very cross to see a father (presumably) with two smallish children coming down the black run on the Chamossiere when there were clear Piste Ferme signs. To risk his children as well as himself seemed very irresponsible. Also these small children will grow up thinking that they don't need to obey clear guidance - just like dad.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Well today was a tale of two halfs in Pre La Joux. This morning was great as the pistes hadnt really frozen. Managed to ski a number of reds from top to bottom and had a wonderful lesson with BASS. Then around 11.45am the heavens opened and down poured the rain, then sleet, then hail and finally big gorping snow flakes!!!

Went up the lift to Paine Dranse and ski'd down the red to the bottom, but the visibility was awful and the snow was just SLOW. I'm hoping tomorrow that that new snow (must of been 5 or 6 cm) is going to be lovely. Lets see.... snowHead
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
What a great days skiing. Top of Prodains at 9am was a whiteout and snowing so retired to the Changabang for a coffee for 1/2hr. Met guests at Lindaret and by the time we got to the top of Mossettes the sky was clearing. Great snow on the swiss side with pistes to ourselves. Had a good hoon around and then headed back over to Fornet where we found some great untracked (10cm+) fresh under the Fornet chair in the snowpark. Stash was holding up well with very few bare patches.
Finished mid morning on the blacks in Avoriaz - Combe de Machon was in superb condition and great to ski. .FlyingStantoni, Yes it is open again!!!
Sun has now come out again and forecast is for only possible showers each afternoon.
Will be heading our for some randonee on Monday.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
And Les Gets was heaps better than we expected this morning - having been to Avoriaz the last couple of days we thought we would have one last bash around for a couple of hours and it was really enjoyable. OH went over to the Chamossiere at one stage, came back saying it would not have suited me, that the black had looked great from the chair but no-one had strayed on to it - but later on we could see over that the lift appeared to have stopped and we could not see anyone skiing down the red. Also there had been a small avalanche just round the corner from Lotty's on the red run that we think happened this morning, and the Gentianes run from the top of the Ranfolly lift had been fenced off - open when we went past it the first time but by the time we went up again it had been closed - sign said avalanches.

All getting very like close down time, various cafes are now closed, and the pisteurs were going round taking down piste markers in places. Good to go out not on a low point though.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Have to say that Friday was one of the best days skiing I've had (not that Ive been skiing for long) The conditions were great and myself, my wife and the kids had great fun right until 4pm! I didnt see many places where people hadnt taken advantage of the new snow and left the piste for a shortcut or two! Was sad to get into the car and leave... oh well. Always Next year!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Posted here yesterday but it disappeared when I pressed submit! PDS was very pleasant over the weekend - we had daughter and BF as unexpected last minute visitors so we were out on the Chatel side, and on Saturday you could still get down to the bubble at Linga easily but that is now closed, and Sunday over in Switzerland and then Avoriaz. Highlights included seeing a family of 6 marmotte who had emerged and were on a patch of heather under the Grizzli bear lift (that was closed on Monday) who were having huge fun - so well camouflaged....just got back from a morning on the Chatel side again - the red run down at the top was quite something again first thing, but the lumps and steps were not rock hard and the light was fine so not a problem. Big queue for a while at the Ardent bubble when we skied down around 11 but that was quickly dispersed as the liftie was being quite proactive and shoving people in to get them going.

There seem few people around but we do get out early - and those that are will be gradually concentrated into smaller areas as various lifts/runs are not opening. Can't understand why people do not get out before 11.30 or so - best of the day is gone by then.

Lovely and sunny here now - the days seem to be turning out to be much better than the forecasts - and just heading down to Geneva.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
And forgot to say that it was interesting to see blood wagon practice going on today - we think they were Learners as there appeared to be about 4 blood wagons going down at a time, together with one guy obviously instructing them - and they had real bodies in them - suppose they were taking it in turns to be the victim/casualty.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Pamski wrote:

Highlights included seeing a family of 6 marmotte who had emerged and were on a patch of heather under the Grizzli bear lift

aaah Very Happy I was convinced that this was going to be the year I finally saw one, but wasn't to be.

Blood wagons - have often thought that unless you were totally out of it, it must be a pretty uncomfortable and unsettling experience, depending what bit hurt of course.
ski holidays
Out for last 3 days of the season. Friday morning with a decent refreeze. Conditions in Chatel OK and still possible to ski down to Prodains from Coupe du Monde. Plenty of sun and a long late lunch in Refuge de l'Abricotine at Brocheaux.

More or less the same story on Saturday with a refreeze and top part of the run from Mosettes to Les Crosets very enjoyable. Even got a bit of spring snow off the side of the Ripaille drag lifts.

Sunday not so good as a bit of rain early morning but still put in a few hours and nice to catch the last day of the season.

Roll on 2009/10!
ski holidays
Just as I had restyled my blog in some summer colours then I post another ski article - http://www.chaletgeorge.com/2009/04/27/avoriaz-ski-randonee/ , this from the end of season rando race at Avoriaz held on Sunday.

Yesterday I was asked about the rumours circulating about a new lift linking Morzine to Avoriaz. Many people "know" about this, I thought I'd try and pad my explanation out with some (scant) facts - http://alpschaletforsale.com/2009/04/28/a-new-ski-lift-linking-morzine-and-avoriaz/

Currently snowing down to about 1400m in Morzine, forecast to 1200m tonight. Too bad I'm off down south with tent and family in tow.
snow conditions
I've also heard of a new lift in porte du soleil area. Linking Super Chatel to Pre la joux meaning no more buses between the 2 Very Happy This came from a chalet owner i know in chatel, apparently the mayor has given the go ahead but haven't seen or heard of any articles on t web about this. Anybody else know any details
ski holidays
Fresh powder and a great randonnee this morning in Avoriaz. Bit cold ... but no-one around!!!

Weather forecast is for summer to arrive this weekend so that could be one of the last but then again maybe not!
snow report
It's not over yet. I managed a little tour last week on the Gran Paradiso. About an hour through the Mt Blanc tunnel. Leave from a place called pont

Full details here http://www.chaletgeorge.com/ski-tour/
snow report
endlessride, great pics for end May. I have just confirmed our next visit arriving PDS Christmas Eve Very Happy Also trying not to believe it's only May Sad

Anyone else booked up yet?
snow report
Lou, I can't believe that you've left it so late to book wink

We're out all of Christmas and New Year's weeks.

Two trips in Jan, two in Mar and Easter also booked.
ski holidays
Lucky devils, Lou and FlyingStantoni. Our two have GCSEs and Common Entrance next year so we can't do Easter as usual, half term and Christmas/New Year are out of our league on cost, only leaving the week beginning 12 December which, even after this year, is probably a little early to be sure of snow. Sad Looks like I'll be sneaking in some more cheeky weekends as and when...
snow report
FlyingStantoni, andyph, seem to have strange desire to book earlier & earlier each year but the fact that you have booked five trips makes me feel better FlyingStantoni Very Happy Normally have to wait to see if working xmas day but have been given the all-clear to go ahead and book tunnel while cheaper (oh and have accumulated clubcard vouchers Very Happy )
That's the beauty of renting a reasonably priced apartment owned by an Englishman who caters for non Sat to Sat clients and that's as much as I can tell you or I would have to shoot you.
Weekend with the girls also booked at Boomerang for beginning March and may go to Flaine early April, always with a few days to finish back in Les Gets if funds stretch.

Our schools are having the same weeks as this year in April though Easter is much later I think Puzzled
snow conditions
Lou, we're already booked up too. We're going for two weeks over the New Year and then Feb half term. 212 sleeps until the first holiday. Very Happy
snow conditions
geetee wrote:
212 sleeps until the first holiday. Very Happy

That is bordering on the sad wink
ski holidays
Lou, that'll be six trips snowHeads
snow report
FlyingStantoni, probably but then it helps to remind me why I'm still working here
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
FlyingStantoni, well maths was never my strongest subject, until of course I'm counting down sleeps like geetee, that's more like it Very Happy

Three digit numbers are just too depressing at the mo though, safer to stick to months until Sept then weeks, and finally sleeps November time ish Very Happy
ski holidays
What, is no one skiing?

Pics from yesterday.

And a video here

Mt Blanc Ski 2009 from Gareth Jefferies
http://www.vimeo.com/5008507
ski holidays
Congratulations Mr Gareth. Bumped into Francesca today in town and she did not mention she had done it. Bet she was bustin to say.
Super video, but not so keen on the music.
Spent Saturday morning picking up litter from the mountain. Knew there was a reason we could not come.
snow report
Nice job endlessride.

Must complain about the lack of dog on this video though wink
latest report
hankthepenguin wrote:
I've also heard of a new lift in porte du soleil area. Linking Super Chatel to Pre la joux meaning no more buses between the 2 Very Happy This came from a chalet owner i know in chatel, apparently the mayor has given the go ahead but haven't seen or heard of any articles on t web about this. Anybody else know any details

As far as I know this lift has had the go ahead for some time, I first heard about it around 3 seasons ago. However I do not believe that work will begin this summer for the 09/10 season. They are putting a new 6 man express in at Linga. This will begin where the current mid station button lift is. The building of this lift will allow for the excess traffic to be coped with from the Chatel lake link, when it is built. Without this then Linga would have been a huge bottleneck!
snow report
I'm thinking that I can reasonably start a countdown....... 17 weeks today Very Happy Very Happy

Just been out in Les Gets - a) Irish pub no longer serving food (not unless you call sushi made at lunchtime, food). Used to like their burgers served with Roquefort Sad ) b) Champion supermarche at St Jean d'Aulps having big refurb with extra level in carpark c) things going on at bottom of Indian run, there was a new magic carpet next to the path but not sure where that is going though thankfully am past that stage d) new snow-making facilities being put in on Violettes and Renardiere pistes

Everytime I go I look over/up/down at Gazelle and wonder if I could give it a go on skis....so I decided that we should walk up it on Monday. It was a hot day and was pooped by the time we got to the top. Halfway up I was quite smug looking over at the Telecabine thinking how lazy they were. Before I got to the top I was consumed with an acute attack of jealousy Shocked Would I feel happy to ski down? Jury's out Very Happy
snow report
Lucky you, Lou, where did you stay? I love LG in the summer, peaceful. Smile

Gazelle isn't that tough (read steep), but the nice thing about it is it's so wide, so if you change your mind just soften your knees over the bumps and do the traverse of shame (pref. over to whatever it's called on skiers right).
snow report
We are back to Les Gets tomorrow for three weeks or so - more concerned at this stage about the bumpy ferry crossing as v. windy at the moment. We saw all the building going on at Champion when we were there in June.

Hopefully it is going to be peaceful and sunny, a few dips in the local lake in the evening always go down well. We bought season tickets for the lifts this summer so I shall be dragging us out and making use of them before they close.

It will be interesting to see what state the chalet is in as we have had seven weeks of lets this summer, more than ever before - never had a problem in the past so fingers crossed.
ski holidays
andyph, we stayed at apartment near to Mont Chery telecabine. Yes it was lovely and the weather was so much better than when we were there in Aug 07. Just nice to walk and walk and walk. Village was like a ghost town after 7pm though. Next time might get bikes and have a go at VTT though the sight of some of the mad ones descending Mont Chery at speed did make me wonder where the 'green' runs might be.

I haven't ruled out Gazelle (well almost) but will have a peek over the edge. At least it's not directly under the lift (like most blacks seem to be in the area Toofy Grin ) if I do (likely) balls up.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy