Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz / Morzine / Les Gets / Chatel - 2008/9

Poster: A snowHead
Well the light rain that was forecast for this morning in Les Gets never arrived - Mt Chery was great - we emerged up there out of the clouds that shrouded the village at 9 a.m. - and had a great morning, good cup of coffee at the Grande Ourse (which will be having its last day this season on 13th April as Mt Chery closes that day) , entertained by the various babes and now back for lunch outside in the sun - when the non-skiing visitors, who we rushed back for, finally arrive!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Buzzing around Nyon, Chavannes and Pleney today. Father and son smug bonding session after an application of Zardoz at the bottom of Pleney chairlift. At the top, we shot off, and continued shooting past everyone else pushing themselves along in the sticky stuff. Cool Lasts for about 10 minutes, but it banishes all the negative effects of slush. Mmm Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
GLORIOUS day yesterday! First thing, went down to La Turche a couple of times with the kids, first down Melezes then Vorosses. (Melezes seems much wider then I remember - have they been clearing trees and shrubs?) The snow was PERFECT! Great fun mucking about getting the kids to do great big fast carves and trying to get a hand down. Laughing

Then up Ranfoilly, down Tetras to the bottom of the chocolate box and up on the Nyon plateau for more of the same. Nyon's closed now due to avvy risks - must say, I've never seen so many slides around here, the result of the volume of snow and the rapid temp rises. Still, lots of fun all around, and down to the Fys lift, where... son spotted 3 piglets running into the ramshackle house to the right of the piste !!!!!! We conclude (most optimistically) that Oinky has simply been raising her babies Toofy Grin

Anyway, last day today so we're off up Mt Chery first to get the best of the snow (and a minty hot choc) and then up to Chavannes for a play with blades and teles. Cool
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Forgot to mention Morzine music festival. Friday night, sat watching Joe le strummer Beer (assisted by Mally Reade and audience) playing outside Le Calumet, a... er, traditional bar tabac away from the centre of Morzine. Good laughs.

Just a shame I missed Bob dit l'ane. Laughing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I know its slightly off topic,but there seems to be good deal of local knowledge on this thread, so here goes.
I am considering my options for New Year 2009 and am looking at taking a nice self catering apt at the foot of the Nyon cable car.A new property literally overlooking the carpark and the lift there.
I know we have had a good snow year 2008/9 but in an average year would you be able to ski down to that area on the blue that goes down to the car park around that time of year?Also is there much at the base of Nyon in the way of a shop or a couple of restaurants?Just trying to get a feel for the setting/amenities as the links into the skiing seem good from that end of town.
Any advice appreciated. Smile
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.

Went out for a little ski tour at the head of the Morzine valley at the end of last week.
A report and some video here.http://www.chaletgeorge.com/
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
hedley, I have a friend who has a place (probably) in the same block. If it's the very recent new builds then they're very nice judging from my friend's place.

You are, though, lacking on amenities there - there's just a single bar/restaurant just by the cable car. Nothing fancy, but what it does it does reasonably well and is good value for money. No shops or bakery - although it's worth bearing in mind that the Champion supermarket in town will deliver for free.

It's a 15-20 minute walk into town and a 20-25 minute walk back (hills and everything). The ski bus runs until around 18:30.

The blue down to Nyon can be sketchy, but they do try to keep it open.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Snow still holding up well this morning. Pistes in Avoriaz were busy but headed over to Plaine Dranse and Linga where it was noticeably quieter and also the snow was better. Sitting out in the sun with my shorts on now!!!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
God I hope it keeps it all together for next week. Only four nights before we get out there!! rolling eyes
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Markoncarp, I'm with you on that ... flying out next Wed night for a long weekend.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Snow in Les Gets was ok this morning - we were not here yesterday and in our absence bare patches have appeared in places and just a bit thick and heavy lower down by about 1.30 when we finished but good and hard first thing and the sun didn't come out till a bit later which helped.

If the Belgians and English were not here the place could be empty - well that is judging by the number of cars with Belgian and UK number plates that have appeared this week - and that is apart from all those who fly in and hire cars/have transfers and those who have French cars they keep here. We noticed lots of picnicking today - and why not with the weather so good.

Having almost been run into on my way home in the car just now I wonder why it is that so many drivers seem not to notice that on some of the roads intersections in Les Gets it is priority to the cars going uphill - luckily I am always very cautious but this guy in a huge black beast could have run straight into the side of me - rant over..
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Snow really good today in Avoraiz and over in Les Crosets. Fantastic for this time of year!! Hot in town - sunbathing weather!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Skied in Morzine / Les Gets today with CEM and MrsCEM.

Slush all the way today with not much evidence of an overnight re-freeze.

A lot of snow has disappeared since we were last here two weeks ago. But even so, the coverage is still excellent. There is a need to be cautious on piste because there are patches, holes, etc - but nowhere near as many as normal.

That you ski down the Pleney stade at this time of year (and enjoy it) is a testament to how good the snow is.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
FlyingStantoni, what's the word on the street about a possible temperature drop and maybe some fresh in the next week or so????
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
kitenski, there's snow on the forecast for Tues / Weds, but nothing before that. The freezing level looks quite high even then though.
ski holidays
8 hours till my flight!!! You know what? I just think it will be nice to be out there... You follow the snow forecast religiously, you fret about there being snow or not being snow.. and then you get to the point (like I am now) where the kids are jumping around shouting "we're going skiing" and you think... Sod it... As long as we get a few days in... Im happy.

I shall post as to conditions tomorrow PM.

Enjoy your weekend all.. .Happy Easter. snowHead
snow report
I'm off to Morzine tomorrow, thanks everyone for the snow reports.
latest report
Markoncarp, as you say, it is just nice to be out here... we have spent the morning over at Chatel Linga and the snow was great - apart from the bit of track back to Lindarets which by 12.30 was very cut up so not my cup of tea but the rest was glorious - you definitely have to be out early to benefit from quiet slopes and the harder snow which we did today - also beware of the huge ruts cut up by the piste bashers - but beats being anywhere else. Sausages about to start sizzling on the grill outside, something chilling in the fridge...

We had our last morning on Mt Chery on Thursday finishing off with a good lunch at the Grande Ourse and even by 3 it was fine doing that short ski down to the gondola.
snow report
A couple of hours skiing on the Plaine Dranse / Linga side this morning.

Good conditions with a great snow even on the high traffic areas that are usually very patchy by now. Some runs, though, have now been abandoned for the season and are closed.

Absolutely the worst pisting, though, I've ever, ever seen on any piste anywhere on Les Rochassons (main red down to Plaine Dranse). Big steps, cracks, death cookies, frozen piste-basher tracks. It looks like they tried to piste it before it had re-frozen; gave up and then it froze in whatever state they decided to leave it in. Shocking.

I had a huge, huge fall on the homerun down to Ardent. The type of fall where you stop and take stock of your limbs and functions before trying to move. You know it's bad when you get snow in your helmet and goggles.

Entirely my fault as I was skiing at high speed; lost my concentration for a moment and stopped being assertive. The snow bit back.

Off to Sallanches / Chamonix for some sale shopping.
snow report
FlyingStantoni, there are some skis worth looking at "Au Vieux Campeur" in Sallanches. I think that sort of pisting is sort of inevitable at this time of year - they can't piste the whole mountain at the optimum time when it's slushy until well after midnight. We encountered some of the steps, cracks, huge great lumps etc. which you describe in areas which we know well and are usually immaculately pisted. I just went slower. wink
snow conditions
FlyingStantoni, there are some skis worth looking at "Au Vieux Campeur" in Sallanches. I think that sort of pisting is sort of inevitable at this time of year - they can't piste the whole mountain at the optimum time when it's slushy until well after midnight. We encountered some of the steps, cracks, huge great lumps etc. which you describe in areas which we know well and are usually immaculately pisted. I just went slower. wink
ski holidays
Steady, FlyingStantoni, don't spoil your end of season! Especially after you cracked tele - Joe said you've come a long way! Very Happy
snow report
FlyingStantoni, - so glad you didn't like it either -

"Absolutely the worst pisting, though, I've ever, ever seen on any piste anywhere on Les Rochassons "

- I always think it is just me being picky! but it gave me the opportunity to really practice short turns between the steps. It can't have been nice for someone who had just arrived and still feeling their way.
snow conditions
Slower, pam w? You'll need to talk me through that one... snowHead

In all seriousness, there really was no excuse for the mess they left Les Rochassons in. Sad

Pamski - I'm glad that it's not just me!

andyph - definitely.
ski holidays
Telemarking around Linderats, Arare and Fornet today. Snow was holding up very well above around 1600m - certainly much less slushy than I was expecting. Bit of a nightmare on telemarks below that level.
ski holidays
FlyingStantoni, See ehat you mean about the Piste preparation on the Chatel Linga side - crap this morning!!!!
snow report
Sunday morning my OH skied very quickly round Les Gets and said that the piste prep had been excellent - particularly compared with Chatel Linga on Saturday! Then we headed down to the lake and ended up with a picnic on the beach along from Evian and fell asleep, only to be awoken by a team of around 13yr old Algerians - all good fun.

This morning we were up on Mt Chery first thing, thinking that it would be our definite, final, final few runs for an hour or so - and we finished up over there all morning, the Marmotte red run was hard at the top all morning and did not really soften at the bottom till about 12'ish - into the Grande Ourse for a last drink, which turned into a bit of lunch and sad farewell to that side of the village now till next year - woops, only just over 8 months away.
latest report
snowandtrek wrote:
FlyingStantoni, See ehat you mean about the Piste preparation on the Chatel Linga side - crap this morning!!!!

Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well, our final day of skiing for the season and a very nice social ski with Joe (my telemark instructor), his wife and their neighbours. Three of us on telemark kit.

A mini tour - Linderats, Hauts Fortes, Fornet, Swiss Wall *, Les Crosets and back to Linderats. The usual spring mixed bag of ice turning to slush via half an hour of great conditions. Absolutely fab coverage for the time of year though.

The entry to the Swiss Wall was an absolute nightmare.

My legs hurt. Skullie

* Note that I was on telemarks. I downloaded Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
Up early and out, over to Belle Moule (not nice, but at least quiet at that time). Took nasty tumble on entering Oinky's tunnel, really thought had done something terminal to my left leg as I lay there, skis still on wedged in the tunnel rolling eyes but was just soft tissue thankfully. No sign of any pigs but my boys reckoned they could smell her, possibly to make me happy.

Back over to Mont Chery for a fantastic finale. As Pam says, Marmotte held up really well and think we did four times before stopping for the longest loveliest ski lunch we have ever had at La Grande Ourse. Really good atmosphere and was their busiest day since feb halfterm. Some items on the menu weren't available but because they are so nice you don't mind and the food is really delic and at good prices.

Came home after that as was slightly intoxicated by the complimentary vin at the restaurant Cool and slush was very slushy by then.

www.lagrandeourse.eu

Last day of the season for us tomorrow, hopefully the sun will continue.
latest report
Sorry for the delay in a report, but I've been enjoying the sunshine!

Have been skiing the Pre La Joux area and sticking to Blues and Greens due to personal ability.

Snow has been fine, no real issues, this morning was rock hard up at the top but by around 10am it was softening nicely. Ski'd on until 2.15pm before even the final part of the Red down to the lift was just far too slow and clingy (now know what you all mean!)

Not to worried to be honest, as the temps in the afternoon have been stunning and we have had some lovely afternoons so far just chiling out on the balcony with a nice glass of wine or beer...

Laughing
snow conditions
Markoncarp wrote:

Not to worried to be honest, as the temps in the afternoon have been stunning and we have had some lovely afternoons so far just chiling out on the balcony with a nice glass of wine or beer...

Laughing

It's a lovely combination, sun & snow isn't it? I normally get twitchy if haven't spent most of the time skiing, but at this time of the year when the snow deteriorates and the sun is shining? Well, nothing better than a long drink in the sunshine.......
ski holidays
Pamski, What did you have for lunch?! I had the very nice Portobello mushrooms, with bacon, toast and roquefort sauce followed by hot goat's cheese salad mmmnn. Did you get a table outside? I didn't think I could eat anything else all day but as I type I am thinking that if those mushrooms were put in front of me now....
latest report
Lou, as we only stopped for a drink, we 'only' had paninis! I had the roasted vegetables and feta - but being the last day it was with brie and not feta... I came home on the bus and OH went over to the Chavannes to pick up our car which we had taken over there this morning - thinking that we would only be doing an hour or so on Mt Chery - the run down from there to the village at about 8.45 this morning had been great so we will repeat the process tomorrow and just aim to ski LG while we can before we have to go to Avoriaz etc.

We are now reluctantly counting down the days to the return to the UK - or I am - there is the pull of the boat and racing for someone else who has been closely monitoring the wind in Chichester Harbour.
snow conditions
Well folks, that's me for the season. Have a good spring, summer and autumn and will be posting here again in the winter.
ski holidays
Pamski, do you not race too?
snow conditions
pam w, oooh no - well not very often - bit too competitive for me, more like mogul black runs - quiet Wednesday evening racing might see me there!
snow report
See you soon FlyingStantoni. We've got 4 more days over here in Whistler then we'll be counting down until New Year - only 8 months to go Very Happy
ski holidays
Yep hope all PDS fans have a lovely summer and thanks for all the posts/reports which have been useful and fun Very Happy

Pamski, enjoy the finale. I kept an eye out for you early on Chavannes yesterday morning. My OH was very amused as I obviously had no idea what you look like, but I told him I would just know snowHead We had a good ski there and in the bowl & Meleze before the boys did the Arbis while I had a choc chaud at Blanchots (my tunnel crash from previous day meant my leg was too sore to tackle rolling eyes )

The snow has held up fantastically, there's just a couple of runs hanging on by a thread, but should be ok until the end. Melezes getting very narrow at the bottom and Belle Moule was looking iffy a couple of days ago.
ski holidays
Spent Sunday in Les Crosets - Avoriaz. It was HOT, and of course the snow got rather slushy down low, but the cover is still very good. Several of the blacks off the Grandes Combes lift were inexplicably closed. They skied really well and had good cover, so I really can't see why they weren't open, but fine. There was not another soul on the Crozats run, and it was only slightly thin at the very end, although a bit of billy goating was needed. The Swiss Wall was great fun with massive slushy moguls. All in all, the area's in great shape.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy