Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Potential lift linking Grand Massif to Les Gets

Poster: A snowHead
Hi there

Anyone heard if these proposed plans have moved on. I heard that they were still in the planning office after new 'environmentally friendly' plans had been submitted. I know it is supposed to be going in high up in verchaix, and people are still selling land stating that it is next tot the new lift, but nothing solid...

Seems to have gone V quiet out there Puzzled

cheers
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
AlpineAddict wrote:
Hi there

Anyone heard if these proposed plans have moved on.

lets hope not.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I first heard it was coming soon....in 1991
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I heard it was definately happening withn the next couple of years... in July 2001
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hopefully the credit crunch will curtail a few of these ideas.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
cant see this ever happening to be honest. this is not based on any fact just the rationale that its been touted for so long with nothing happening. personally speaking I am not sure its a good thing for les gets with very few new pists added with none at a significant altitude. surely improoving the chamossiere sector would be a better option The downside to this would possibly mean more people coming to ski over in les gets??? might mean less traffic in the centre though
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
suspect it is now urban myth perpetuated by those trying to encourage property purchase. given size of both sli areas just not necessary unless you live in verchaix
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
torico, dan100, I don't think so.

IIRC (and can believe my sources) there is a requirement for any French commune to be able to provide enough "activities" for the number of beds accommodation in resort. Les Gets has reached that limit - i.e. it can't expand without increasing the number of ski lifts. This could be accomplished either by linking into Grand Massif or in t'other direction (possibly more interesting but arguably more difficult) into Pras de Lys/Sommand.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
under a new name, now that IS interesting!

In recent years there has also been talk of joining Mont Chery with La Grande Terche, I coudn't see the point myself but maybe this requirment is at the root of this rumour?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
yeah I heard that one too , with pierre and vaccances building a resort over at chery nord. There wa also talk of chery nord closing as its isnt used much . personally speaking it can stay as It is cos its about the best skiing in les gets
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
carrosa, possibly?

torico, yeah they were going to close Chery Nord a few years ago but changed their mind when all the bl00dy English started buying derelict farms (Value at time=€0) and selling then for €ooo,ooo's (so none of the locals could afford to live there Puzzled
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
This rumour has been around for years (as others have said), I have asked people "in resort" at Samoens who tell me it is planned... no-one knows when though. It would make the whole region the largest in the world I believe???? Although still a bus between Verchaix and Morillon (or Samoens). Not sure if I like the idea or not? Les Gets is only about 25-30 mins by car anyway.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Unlike so many here, I quite like the idea of skiing from one area to another one, especially if it is new! I say bring on the development, then again I am further up and would like to do more tree line skiing on the same pass!

That said however the rumour has been going on for a long time, so I will end up like the rest and believing it only when I see it!!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well, some clarifications from what I've understood by talking to people in the area and reading up in local press.

If I am not mistaken, the Chamossiere sector is actually on the Verchaix commune already, therefore it was more a question of linking the village into 'their' exhisting lifts in portes du soleil rather than a link between it and the grand massif (they already get a part of the revenue from ski passes). In fact, the plan raised quite large protests both from the Grand Massif as well as Les Gets, as Verchaix would become the easiest point of access to Portes du Soleil for day trips in the region. Given the existing system for splitting up skipass money, Les Gets would stand to lose out on quite alot of money and therefore were putting up quite a fight. I think it would be quite unlikely for Grand Massif and Portes du Soleil to join under the same skipass regardless. Skiing would probably not be expanded both due to super-low altitude and exposition of the slope on the Verchaix side, it would probably just end up being an access-only gondola.

With regards to the other planned links, they have all pretty much fallen away. environmental protests as well as the low altitude makes it hard to justify a link to pras-de-lyss and la grande terche. I believe the only planned expansions left in portes du soleil would be the backside of avoriaz where there are medium-term plans, as well as a link between super-chatel and linga (although this not really increasing the skiing at all). Also a bit on the swiss side if they ever manage to get permission to build a few lifts to replace the tbars around morgins... maybe next year Confused
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Apart from the Linga link, is there anymore developments on the others??
ski holidays
They're all kicking off in Les Gets over a Mont Chery- chavannes link up
snow report
@Nadenoodlee, certainly are! Widespread opinion seems to be that funds should be spent on updating the rather creaky lifts, that break down quite often on the Chavannes side, and also some of the Mt Chery lifts before a big fancy new link is established over the village. There will need to be heaps more snow making on MC, and new pistes made over there. It's not really a big deal to get from one side to the other either on foot, petit train, or the buses. It will be interesting to see how this all pans out. With little information the rumours abound.
snow conditions
Just heard Grande Terche is replacing the two drags at the bottom with a chairlift this season- this will make it so much better for beginners
latest report
I'm all for it @Pamski, but I'm also for improving lifts out of the back bowl- Nauchets can be utter hell on a busy day.
latest report
I thought you said that the school holiday periods weren't too bad, @Nadenoodlee? wink
snow report
@Nadenoodlee, better than when there were two drag lifts when we were first there. Hell for boarders who kept falling off... We use the loggers path out of the bowl to get home quite often
snow conditions
I need to find out where that is @Pamski,
ski holidays
Yes it can be useful!
latest report
sounds like the Les Contamines-Megeve link. Rumoured for decades. Thing with that one is that Les Contamines regulars are not so keen about the idea of fur clad Megeve hoards hopping over to snaffle the snow sure skiing when its a bit thin in the rest of EMB.
snow report
@Pamski, please give a hint about the loggers path! We have found ourselves avoiding the back bowl at busy times, the worst is the spaghetti junction approaching the lift queues - quite dangerous.
snow report
Quote:

Widespread opinion seems to be that funds should be spent on updating the rather creaky lifts, that break down quite often on the Chavannes side, and also some of the Mt Chery lifts before a big fancy new link is established over the village. There will need to be heaps more snow making on MC, and new pistes made over there. It's not really a big deal to get from one side to the other either on foot, petit train, or the buses. It will be interesting to see how this all pans out. With little information the rumours abound.

It does seem like an expensive folly!
Quote:

Just heard Grande Terche is replacing the two drags at the bottom with a chairlift this season- this will make it so much better for beginners

You can see it going up on the webcam! Poles are place
ski holidays
Two interesting press reports held on the Mairie Les Gets website, one from detailing the proposition to link Mont Chery and Chavannes by Christmas 2017
http://www.lesgets-mairie.eu/content/download/5992/41234/file/24-09-2015%20-%20Le%20Messager%20-%20Un%20téléphérique%20.pdf

the other more general for the Chablais detailing all the work in the area during the summer

http://www.lesgets-mairie.eu/content/download/5918/40781/file/10-09-2015_Le%20Messager.pdf
snow report
@5RED, well instead if taking the Nauchets left up and then skiing down through the Chavannes we go below the Nauchets, and left and follow the track down. It meets up somewhere with a blue from in the Indian village. Takes you down to where you can link onto the piste again and the Chavannes lifts, or we are just above our chalet.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think this will be a few years away yet. I know the mayors have changed and the relevant ski domains now on much better terms - so there's hope.
ski holidays
Would make two fantastic ski areas even better!
snow report
Lots of talk about this over the last +15 years . Think a lot of the internal lift system need upgrading before a new lift connecting then is put in. Unless it's for bragging rights to the largest ski area
latest report
Bear in mind just how unconnected the areas would be even with a Joux-Plan - Samoens link. Great for the inhabitants of Verchaix, not so much for anyone else, especially coming over from the PDS side. Unless the link terminated by e.g. the GME car park.

I wouldn't be holding my breath...
snow report
I thought I heard it was so unlikely to happen as that side of the valley is the French equivalent of an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty and as such protected, plus if a lift were to be built to the Col there really isn't much skiing to be had back down to the Griffe side of things, so yes 1000km of pistes in the "Grand Portes de Massif SOleil" but massif cost, environmentally difficult and not much benefit.
latest report
They seem to be more interested in linking Chavannes and Mont Chery, then developing Mont Chery's links to Roc d’Enfer / Saint Jean d’Aulps and six new pistes on Mont Chery served by a new chair.
Their logic appears to be that by increasing the skier traffic on Mont Chery that will benefit the income and then justify the investment in the otherwise lossmaking sector.
snow report
@Timc, all round a much more interesting idea, although there go those lovely afternoons yoyoing the chery nord bumps in splendid isolation...
latest report
@under a new name, Those days are gone, the gondola base is already in on both the Chavannes side and the Mont Chery side.
Trees have been removed for the new pistes which will link in at the bottom of the Perrieres to make a complete circuit.
snow conditions
@Chattonmill, ah, interesting and good, from my cursory regarding of the Mairie website it appeared still to be at the consultation stage. snowHead
snow conditions
I think it is a French consultation!
Pressure has been put on Les Gets by the PDS to reduce congestion in the bowl. This was the solution.
Whilst we will lose some of the stashes we love, this can only be good for the area as a whole.
ski holidays
@Chattonmill, where is the new base on the Chavannes side? We came back about ten days ago and hadn't spotted it then. Is there a new base up on Mt Chery? I would have expected it to be somewhere between the Belvedere and the Pointe lift.
snow report
They were put in last year, concrete founds, then recovered. just above the QG where the piste splits into two. On the Mt Chery side just to the left of the Belvedere.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy