Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

quality of skis?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
hi everyone,

i am just about to make a decision on some new skis, i have wittled it down to a few pairs and just need to try them out if i can. i do have one question though and i know the retailers/shops wont tell me this so hoping you guys can.

the skis i have on my shortlist are k2 extreme, movement spark, fischer watea, salamon lord. all basically all mountain skis and seem quite versitile in that they can be used on various terrain and conditions. all are similar in price as well. so my question is, are there any major differences in the quality of the ski i.e. materials used, are some massively heavy, quality of manufacturing etc...i know from other sports such as fishing for example that all things are similar in price but some companies make their products better than others and wondering if that was the case here?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
colors, Not sure about the quality thing all the k2 skis are made in China last I heard. The Lord do have this new reverse canting thingie that apparently makes them more fun in the pow all the mags are raving about them aswell.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
colors,

Can only talk about the Spark as I have skied that lots this past few years. Swiss ski, made in Italy or Tunisia..in the same factory as G3. I'd research them as well.
The guys at Noble are good to talk to about Movements.

The Spark is quite light and has a good edge hold. Quite snappy and whizzy, floats well for 82mm and will take a straightish line..within reason...in deeper snow without getting knocked about too much.
Very good ski, IMV...

As far as I can tell....it is the same ski these last few graphic incarnations, but again, Noble will tell you this if you ask them. They may even have a few older models stashed somewhere if you ask.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
colors, imo you're all over the map in terms of performance.

You don't say -which- Watea; either, I assume either the 84 or 95.

Anyhow, any quality issues are completely secondary to what will actually work for you best.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
JT, Tunisia
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
comprex - it shouldnt really matter what model in the range im looking at as they are all made of the same materials i.e. the watea 84 will be made from the same things as the 95. what i was asking really was the quality of materials and the manufacturing of the product. some big name companies in other sports i.e. running equipment, fishing equipment have a reputation as the biggest in the business but they arent the best. for example some running shoes made by the biggest sporting brands in the world which are quite expensive shoes arent made that well and dont use the best materials etc. so really all i wanted to do was are the above skis all relatively the same in terms of quality of materials and how well they are made, or do some skimp on some areas that others dont?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I understood your question, but this:

colors wrote:
comprex - it shouldnt really matter what model in the range im looking at as they are all made of the same materials i.e. the watea 84 will be made from the same things as the 95.

is not a supportable assumption given similar board thickness and torsional rigidity constraints.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
hi comprex, i know what your saying about getting the right ski that suits me etc but all i really wanted to know is what the quality of the skis are like not how the different models in the range will perform on different terrain. yes the watea 84 will have a different feel to the watea 95 and the set up of the ski itself will be totally different, i understand all this. the models in the watea range though will still essentially be made from the same materials made by the same people and put together in the same way. what i would like to know is if say the watea uses better materials and manufacturing processes than say the k2 extreme, movement spark or the salomon lord. it is a valid question and is really aimed at the manufacturer and not how the skis differ within a certain range if that makes sense Smile
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I can only speak for the Salomon and K2 skis here as these are the 2 brands out of the four you mention that we deal with. We have dealt with both brands sice their arrival on the UK ski scene years ago and have very little problem with either brand in terms of warranty claims - come to think of it, I haven't had an issue with either in at least the last 5 years on skis that we have sold. In terms of quality of materials used for the job in hand K2 are generally very good, their skis ski well, feel solid and are made from good raw materials on the whole. Salomon however, have earned a rep in the last few years for skimping when it comes to quality raw materials in their skis although their bindings remained well liked - this however seems to be something they are putting behind them with their new skis, especially the Lord which is a fine example of how to build a ski and use a good bit of new technology as well
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
sail and ski wrote:
, especially the Lord which is a fine example of how to build a ski and use a good bit of new technology as well

What's the new technology - rocker? Appropriating it for the mass market a couple of seasons after K2?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy