Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cervinia

Poster: A snowHead
Morning all.
The gang are off to Cervina for a week, 1st March, however two of us can only do Monday - Thursday, 4 nights. I've sent dozens of emails to hotels but they've all said the same thing "7 nights or nothing!" This surprised me a bit because Cervinia is a very popular weekend destination with the Italians. If we're staying Monday - Thursday then surely that gives them the room to rent for the weekend? Anyway does anyone know any hotels there who might be able to help or anyone who rents apartments there. I would pay for an apartment for the full week but only stay there the four nights.
As ever any help or advise greatly received.
Lucan
[/size]
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Lucan, I am sure that you will have no problem nearer the time. I managed to book a 3 night break in Cervina between Christmas and New Year without too much difficulty.

Best thing is to leave it till nearer the time. Hotels are reluctant to lose the rest of the week's booking so far in advance. When you are the week before it will be a different story and they will all be after your business then.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
This is the agency we got an apartment from for last March - they only do full weeks.

http://www.ilcervino.com/homee.asp

When we also wanted a hotel for an odd additional night the tourist office said that the hotels would only release rooms for less than a weeks booking at the very last minute - thier suggestion for a Saturday night was to go into the office on the Thursday.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We have rocked up in Cervinia and booked rooms for ad-hoc stays. I accept that they wouldn't want..or might not have to...take short bookings this far away.

Lucan, How are you getting up and down the valley..?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
we went there over easter...fly thur pm (stay down the valley) dirve up to resort friday. ski to monday pm, and reverse. Worked really well but IIRC we didn't finalise the accomodation more than a couple of weeks before we left. Yes the resort is popular with italians, but I think quite a few have their own places there for the weekend, or even just day trip from milan.

<cynic> find a native italian friend well and get them to phone up / email - you might get a more flexible response if you speak the lingo / have italian email address <cynic>

Worse comes to the worst then book for the 7 days and just blow off the remainder of the week (terrible thing to do in terms of credit crunch but)

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 30-09-08 11:11; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
JT, On a pair of Metron 10's. (That what you mean?)

RobinS, Cheers Robin, just had a look at their website.

bertie bassett, Ray Zorro, Holding my nerve until the week before looks like the best option then. Worst comes to the worst, I have to pay for 3 nights that I can't use. I'd rather do that than miss out on the trip.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Lucan, no... up the valley from Chatillon... a car would be good and flexible to get to the airport, the buses less so, FWICR.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
JT,
Ah sorry!
This the plan, fly to Geneva Monday AM, pick up a motor & drive to Cervinia. Ski Tue, Wed, Thurs & AM Fri. Drive back to Geneva & fly home 10pm Friday. So we will have a motor for the trip.
Lucam
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
oh and should have added if youre fliying in /out of milan malpensa and hire car then make sure you have a bloody good map / tom tom as IIRC it can be quite difficult to find the airport on the way back as (a) it's not very well signed and (b) some distance off the motorway.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
bertie bassett,
Nice one Bertie, we're flying into Geneva.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Lucan, ..so an 1hr to the tunnel and just over an hour from there to Cervinia IIRC. Turin would have quicker, IMV but it isn't a bad journey anyway as they have a new road from the tunnel.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
JT, Yeah Turin looked a better option but we get a good deal with Easyjet out of Liverpool to Geneva.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Lucan wrote:
bertie bassett,
Nice one Bertie, we're flying into Geneva.

Oh well!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lucan, The Sertorelli does non-week bookings... give them a go, lovely hotel too.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
red 27, Cheers Red. I'll drop them an email.
Are you still in Abu Dhabi?
snow report
Lucan, actually no - I haven't been bothered to change my sig though! I thought you were in South America with the Nanny? wink

Friends of mine got a quote for a monday-thursday trip to the Sertorelli for feb half term week, so you should be OK. They have a mini-bus that does free taxi service to the Gondola or you can just walk in 5 mins to the Cretaz chair. Have you been to the Big C before? Cracking resort - I love it there
latest report
Nah, shaved off the tash, ditched the nanny & moved to Liverpool! Been working in Jebel Ali for a bit though hence the Abu Dhabi question. Last I heard they were planning to put a dome over their hightest mountain and biuld the world's biggest indoor ski area. Which wouldn't surprise me as they always want to go one better than Dubai.
Never been to Cervinia before mainly ski in France, Val D, Tignes, Val T, Avoriaz. Went to Sauze about 5 years ago and had a good week so we thought that we'd try Cervinia with a day in Z'mat thrown in.
What do you reckon of it?
Lucan
latest report
Lucan, Great place, loads of fast cruisy intermediate runs with the option of going over to the Dark Side for tougher stuff, snow sure, great food, friendly italians, reasonable prices and only 75 mins easy drive / cab from Turin. The italians all drive up for the day at weekends and park at the Valtournenche bubble, they don't bother staying over I think

That hotel also does a bang-up cooked buffet breakfast.

Downsides are can be windy (like all high altitude resorts) and the resort is not choccy-box, limited off-piste.
latest report
red 27,
Nice one, had a look at the hotel's website & it looks class.
I liked skiing in Italy last time I was there, as you say great food and not too pricey. We went to Val & Tignes a couple of times last year and it's getting really expensive and the euro hovering around €1.20 doesn't help matters.
snow report
red 27, Limited off-piste, not so, IMV.

Just look at the expanse between runs and lifts although the Italians will not point the way, they'll get brave and follow you after a few laps.
I think you could go top to bottom without touching a run or just cross it at best. If it snows the night before and you get anything over boot height then you'll have a field day.
Caters for lots of levels, you can heli the Monterosa or Chateau des dams and others if you want. It might be rated as a cruisers resort but in fresh snow, it is great and you are never too far from
home.

If it snows, then fill your boots..and you stand a chance of getting 1st tracks like you wouldn't in many more fabled resorts
snow report
Hi all. we are planning a trip for 4 intermediate snowboarders next year and cervina has been mentioned as a possible option. can anyone comment on how suitable cervina is for snowboarders? i dont know anything about it but im doing some research now. im thinking more in terms of flat spots, traversing, drag lifts etc. thanks.
latest report
JT, well OK, but to be honest I don't really count the bits between runs as 'off piste'... you've been to (say) Verbier or Engelberg right?

Bipolar Bear, great username. I'm a plank man myself but although you don't see that many trays there I'm not sure I see why not. There is a flat spot just above Plan Maison where those in the know on skis can schuss from high up and make it and there's another crossing from Plateau Rosa to the Valtournence side, but the lift system is drag free (bar one)
snow conditions
Bipolar Bear wrote:
Hi all. we are planning a trip for 4 intermediate snowboarders next year and cervina has been mentioned as a possible option. can anyone comment on how suitable cervina is for snowboarders? i dont know anything about it but im doing some research now. im thinking more in terms of flat spots, traversing, drag lifts etc. thanks.

Great!

My only trip to cervinia so far was 4 boarders all liking high mileage as well as off-piste variations. Given it was Easter there was a bit more of the piste dragging than off-piste but we really enjoyed blasting around - covering over 54km one day (incl lifts). The only bits to worry about in terms of drags is the return from Valtourneche (drag required) and the return from Zermatt if the Klein Matterhorn closes (only due to high winds) - this gives you an altervative route back which involves 2x t-bars. Cold & slow, and a bit tricky. 1st attempt I ripped the t-bar clean off 100 yds uphill from the lift station, much to the lifties chagrin.

There's a lovely red 7 all the way back from the platau rosa (IIRC) right down into the village which is wicked. Plus they've upgraded the lifts from the village nursery slopes to a proper 6 pack chair so if you're staying that side of town you don't have to yomp uphill for 5 minutes round to the main bubble.

Enjoy!
latest report
thanks for that guys. i think the rest of my party are mainly concerned about the number of drag lifts. i have no probs with t-bars but my friends really dont like em, but as long as we dont have to rely on them to access major parts of the resort i guess it shoulnt be an issue (i assume by drag lift they mean t-bars and not pommas/rope tows *shudder* ?). Does anyone have a link to a decent piste map of cervina/zermatt? i cant find one of the cervina website.
ski holidays
Bipolar Bear, The Zermatt Site has both sides.
latest report
thanks for that. cervinia is looking like it might be a goer for next year. now checking out accomodation, has anyone stayed at Chalet Petit Palais or Hotel Astoria? or can anyone else suggest anything good - looking for half-board chalet accom if possible. thanks.
snow report
Bipolar Bear,

I liked the family ambience of the Piolet... plus they had the contacts for heli-trips.
ski holidays
Hi folks, just thought I'd jump in on this thread as I am thinking of going to Cervinia on 31st Jan. Three of us, all boarders, 2 intermediate and myself, a bit more acomplished.
Flying in to Turin arriving at 17:10 (Ryanair from Prestwick).
Would anyone recommend Cervinia or are there other resorts reachable from Turin which might be more suitable.
I had a week of ski-ing a while back at Courmayeur but wasn't that fussed about it.
I first tried boarding at Pila in fantastic powder conditions but that was only for a day so never really saw a lot of the resort.
Cervinia looks like it will reallly suit my companions, but I would like to hook up with some more acomplished boarders/skiers rather than bash around on my own.

Also..does anyone know of a cheap transfer company from the airport...my search so far would suggest that hiring a car would be the cheapest method of getting up the Aosta Valley.

And lastly..I have made enquiries about some studio apartments for the week 31 Jan to 7 Feb (Sat to Sat ) but the replies are all in Italian. I only speak English and a bit of Spanish so I am having trouble. Anyone know of any rental offices in the area who have English speaking staff?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Oooops!! missed the link to www.ilcervino.com in the 3rd post by RobinS.
Cheers for that ..I'll give them a go.
snow conditions
elcottero, careful about hiring a car at/from the airport, even in advance - I got absolutley made love to in the back bottom by Hertz.... a taxi would have been cheaper, literally. There are all manner of bizarre extras and taxes for cars from the airport... the price went from €160 to €380 Shocked
snow conditions
http://www.insurance4carhire.com/ This lot allow you to avoid paying the access on the car hire which I think is about 15 €uros a day. The cost of the cover is made up if you at least hire a couple of a car's per year. Cool
snow report
Quote:

careful about hiring a car at/from the airport, even in advance - I got absolutley made love to in the back bottom by Hertz

I know what you mean mate..I got right royally shafted by Hertz once from Perpignan Airport...and I never knew til I was back home and got a statement from my credit card company..they had added about £90 on in extras.

I have had no problems with online hire companies in the past in Spain and France..( autos-europe / carjet / record ) usually everything is included except the excess waiver, and some companies even include an excess insurance in case you do have a prang.

I take it that car hire in Italy is a bit different..maybe because of the way they drive rolling eyes I got an online quote of £180 from autos-europe for a Ford Focus. Does anyone know roughly how much a taxi would be and is the price of taxis in Italy negotiable or fixed by meter. Also what would be the likelyhood of needing snow chains.
latest report
elcottero, it was 200€ one way for a taxi last year - doesn't seen to make any difference if there's of you or 4 of you. When you get your hotel get them to source the taxi - much cheaper than picking it up at the airport.

Lucan, did you get anywhere?
ski holidays
With regards to Hertz, I managed to sort out car hire (very cheap) £400 for 17 days for a Zafira wink unfortunately all the insurances were also £400 ;-( that was before I found out about these 3rd-party insurance companies. Seeing as it's about £50 worldwide for a year, you almost certainly get payback on one hire.
latest report
I would love to ski Cervinia but find it hard getting reasonable accommodation as a single skier. A spare place in a catered chalet would be ideal if only i could find one.

Rob
latest report
elcottero wrote:
Would anyone recommend Cervinia or are there other resorts reachable from Turin which might be more suitable.

Ski'd Cervinia a few times cos we start the season in Zermatt each year, and its a good inters place..I don't like the resort itself personally... I'd also suggets having a look at Champoluc/Gressoney/Antagnod and Alagna in the Monte Rosa area which is lots of long reds and not many crowds and few drags...plus theres some good freedride around and heli and guided on the monte rosa itself.
snow report
[quote="papasmurf"]
elcottero wrote:
don't like the resort itself personally...

What is it specifically that you don't like about it?

They've got rid of the drags up from the village and replaced with chairs - thus avoiding the dull walk round to the main bubble if your on the side where the drags used to be. The only drags left of any note are on the retrun from Valtourneche. Plus it's a cheaper / easier (no car unloading hassle) way of skiing Zermatt withouth the hassle of Zermatt.

Personally I really enjoyed it when I went...
snow report
I did not write "don't like the resort itself personally". That's a quote from Papasmurfs thread.
I have never been to Cervinia, but by all accounts it seems to be a good resort and I am seriously thinking about a week there this season.
I am thinking about renting an apartment in Valtournenche as it is much more reasonable than Cervinia. Anyone got any thoughts on this idea..good or bad?
snow conditions
Bipolar Bear wrote:
thanks for that. cervinia is looking like it might be a goer for next year. now checking out accomodation, has anyone stayed at Chalet Petit Palais or Hotel Astoria? or can anyone else suggest anything good - looking for half-board chalet accom if possible. thanks.

We stayed at the Petit Palais about 6 years ago.

At the time (dont know if this is still the case) it was a Club hotel run by Crystal and was fully staffed by British workers which i didnt like. Much prefer to have a more local feel.

The hotel was well placed right by the main gondala but you have to walk upto it from the main car park.
The food was nice from what i recall also.
ski holidays
elcottero wrote:
I did not write "don't like the resort itself personally". That's a quote from Papasmurfs thread.

Sorry, I seem to had got my quotes a bit mixed up there...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy