Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BE A PHOTOJOURNALIST!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Are you mad about France? Do you have some great images of your travels to Paris, the French vineyards, the beaches of the Cote d'Azur or the top ski resorts?

If so, we'd love to hear from you! We're looking for great photos to illustrate our blogs about travel to France. All photos supplied will be fully credited to you, and if you have a great selection from your favourite trip why not send us your photo diary? For photo diaries and blogs we will give you full author's credit, and we can also include a photo of you with the byline.

If you'd like to take part, please send your words and pics to laura.crickmore@surfpr.co.uk or get in touch for more information.

Thanks!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
surflondon, I always thought that journalists, photo or otherwise got paid for their work not just given "full author's credit". Is this not just a cheap way to get copy?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
JP, sometimes it's good for a photographer to give away work to get exposure. However, a PR agency should really be paying for this stuff, passing the cost on to clients.

I suspect SurfPR is a tiny company using a PO drop box to get a decent postcode, though.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

whois surfpr.co.uk

Domain name:
surfpr.co.uk

Registrant:
Geoff Saltmarsh

Registrant type:
Unknown

Registrant's address:
Unit D
25 Copperfield Street
London
Greater London
SE1 0EN

From their website:

Quote:
T: +44 (0) 20 7928 2999 E: rebecca.genin@surfpr.co.uk surf pr, po box 61070, london, se1p 5bu

Anyone giving rights to use their photos to a commercial company engaged in corporate PR who doesn't charge a commercial licence fee is one or more of:

a. very altruistic
b. stupid
c. naive

This also makes it harder for those trying to make a living from photography to do so (I'm not one of them, so I feel safe saying this...).
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ousekjarr, re. a/b/c, you're wrong, and you're particularly wrong about those trying to make a living from photography - they'll never be approached by SurfPR in the first instance.

http://www.saltmarshpr.co.uk/index.htm
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
JP wrote:
surflondon, I always thought that journalists, photo or otherwise got paid for their work not just given "full author's credit". Is this not just a cheap way to get copy?

They should consider http://istockphoto.com
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
hyweljenkins, in what way would you suggest I am wrong? You give your photo to a PR company, who use it on a campaign for a major client, charge them £5K for image rights, and send you..... a copy of the photo with your name on it. I fail to see why doing this is neither stupid nor naive - perhaps you can explain?

Anyone wanting striking photography will have to pay to get it from a photo library or by contracting a photographer to go and shoot it for them, unless they can persuade some idiot to donate a photo for free - so how does this not affect those wanting to make a living from photography?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

£5K for image rights

Not remotely a reality in travel PR. There's so much copyright-free stuff provided by hotels, resorts, airlines, equipment companies, you name it, that the going rate for stock photography is zilch. Only way of getting paid is doing a bespoke job at a day rate and to be considered for such assignments you'd need a showcase for your work, you'd need a track record. With semi-pro digital SLRs costing under £500 anyone, with a modicom of knowledge and an eye for a picture, can produce publish-able stuff.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bode Swiller, agreed - the client usually provides the images. If they don't have any, however, they'll pay to get them.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
My friend is picture editor for the travel section of a national newspaper. They pay photographers around £200 - £300 per day. Photographers go with a brief to get what the editor needs. Advertising would obviously pay a lot more but I think this post is about supplying images for a blog post so hardly going to be giving out £5k a shot.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ousekjarr, it's a cost of sale or setting up a business. You work at a lower rate or for coverage to get your name about. Once you're known and/or have work to show and you're in demand, your rates go up.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy