Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Who remembers Atomic's 1974 line?

Poster: A snowHead
Semi-twintip that would have been used in a freestyle competition in Tahoe. Anyone remember the name of the ski?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm struggling to remember, what with being 10 at the time wink
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mosha Marc, I do understand, off your radar, I mean who pays attention to the freestylers when there's DH racing to watch?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
comprex, exactamondo.

Well and Leeds of course.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
comprex, a tough question. Nearly all freestylers then were on skis like Olin, Century, The Ski, K2... very much American brands. Don't recall Atomic ever being very interested in freestyle. ARC?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Bode Swiller, exactly the problem, Olin/Hart/The/K2 are known quantities. These were definitely Atomic, tho, with a rocket logo much elongated from the present day one.

The only ARCs I know were the late-80s & early 90s racers.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
comprex, Just about to put my wife's ARCs (from 1990) on the tip...
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
comprex, I remember the Blondie tune.

'Tonight make it magnificent
Tonight
Make me tonight
Your hair is beautiful
Oh tonight
Atomic
Atomic
Oh'

The Blondie Atomic would be a good name for the 'Female Ski of the Year'.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sun 28-09-08 19:34; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
i remember the pink/yellow/black arc's from mid 80's...i have also recently seen on the ceiling of a ski shop a ski logoed with labbatts lager, one with Budweiser, and a rossi 3g era speed ski
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
CEM, I last skied a pair of those in 1993 in Utah. Obermeyer had a pink neon womens' tapered jacket and tights that year with a neon yellow, black and blue swirly logo on the back. I had some absolutely ridiculous pictures of this tiny little Korean woman (5'2" in 3 inch heels) holding a pair of my 205s ...

Anyhow, cast your mind back way before that, to the Head Yahoo era and the Blizzards with diamond pattern topskins...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
comprex, Blizzard Wizzard if I'm not mistaken. Great name.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Bode Swiller, blue diamonds on a red field? Do you remember one they did with red diamonds on a white field?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
5h!t i feel old
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
CEM, why any older than any one else who posted to this thread Puzzled
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
This is really sad... because of this thread I get a call this afternoon telling me that I'm wrong... the diamond patterned Blizzards were all called Firebirds. The caller, who is older than time itself, said that Atomic didn't have any interest in freestyle in the mid 70s - the brand was very young then and only interested in racing. Some aerialists and ballet skiers did use junior racing skis of course... maybe this is what comprex saw. Doesn't explain the turned up tail though.
snow conditions
Bode Swiller, thanks for the correction.

The film is called 'Winter Equinox' and the skis in question were evident in the aerials scenes from Tahoe.

Btw the rounded tails appeared to be metal-finished, the bases did not go to the very tips.
ski holidays
The Blizzard Wizards were very much top of the range, I bought some lower down the range skis which also had diamond a pattern in blue. had Salomon 444's fitted to them. The skis eventually delaminated below the boot area and I threw them out! I do still have from the same era my wife's Fisher Futura Extremes with 555's in the basement, bases are still waxed, am I sad or what? rolling eyes
snow conditions
Dypcdiver, I was speaking to a gentleman over the weekend who brought in a pair of Rossi ST-Rs with pre-DIN tyrolia 350 toes.

He thought it was necessary to defend his 1982 choice to switch to Tyrolia 360 heels (DIN and brakes).

Bases waxed and sharp at 0/0. Pretty young guy, too, with a 10 year old child.

I'll allow you maybe a 3 on the sad 0-10 scale, if you really insist.
snow conditions
Quote:

He thought it was necessary to defend his 1982 choice to switch to Tyrolia 360 heels (DIN and brakes).

Brakes what are they, new fangled things for upstarts. Nothing wrong with straps, I have several pairs in my workshop just in case. They are right alongside the avalanche cord wink
ski holidays
Quote:

comprex, '82 a little early for the 360 methinks. '85 more like when they went all fluoro. Great thing about Tyrolias (apart from diagonal release heel and fastest return-to-centre toe) is that you simply had stick your pole in the tab and lever it up... no one-legged twist and stomp. This was especially useful in unruly lift lines as you could quickly be out of your skis and into the punch up before your Salomon-equipped combatant knew what was happening.
ski holidays
comprex,
Quote:

Mosha Marc, I do understand, off your radar, I mean who pays attention to the freestylers when there's DH racing to watch?

Nowt wrong with DH but as in 1970's until today the first ticket to sell out at the winter Olympics is the moguls (freestyle doggers).

I owned a pair of K2 Poachers (pre-production) in the early/mid 90's but suffered from the older K2 delam problems. They never went into production.
snow report
Bode Swiller, his story does appear to match the official timeline, and the heelpieces were plain Al, no anodisation or paint.

http://www.tyrolia.com/public/company/history/milestones/index.html?L=0

Dypcdiver, actual Tyrolia-branded ones in Austrian flag colours? Excellent. Haven't seen mine in years; I keep a few Salomon and Look ones as still useful for hanging sleeping bags & ski bags to dry and such.
ski holidays
comprex, OK, you may be right. I had a pair of 3?0 Calgary (special spotty version for the 88 Olympics - hey, limited edition) and it was the latest version.

I think it went... 350, 360, 380, 390, 480 (480 got rollers) etc
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy