Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Soll - driving to & parking

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Well, it has been a long and torturous journey but we have finally booked a group of 10 in to the Hotel Austria in Soll. We chose this Hotel based on the reviews and the location. Now we need to work out all the in-between bits - ferry, route to Soll and where to park the car!

So, I am looking for anyone else who has driven to Soll in Austria or a neighbouring village who might have some advice for us.

Also, how hot are the rules on the use of snow chains?

Cheers,

Chris
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I can give a partial answer.

Have spent several evenings in the bar at Hotel Austria, most suitable and central I thought (footy on telly too). The hotel is quite close to the pedestrian area so no parking in the immediate vicinity I believe. however there is a huge car park up by the gondola where you might be able to leave your car for the week. The walk from town to the gondola is not too arduous, if you hire your skiis from the big shops by the gondola you can store them in their garage without ever really having to carry them anywhere. I found the walk in the morning helped to remove some cobwebs and anything is better than sweating ones cobs off on the bus. maybe there is parking behind the hotel for customers?

re driving issues, i have driven from salzburg and the last bit from the motorway to soll is easy; big roads used by lorries and the like, have done it in heavy snow and didnt need chains.

I like Soll see my earlier posts. let me know if I can help with anything else Wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ian bloomfield, That sounds brilliant - we were after a hotel that was central!! And footy on the TV too - even more brilliant. I hear that the après-ski is good in Soll - did you have any favourites?

The good news about the car park - I have tired to find out how much it might cost for the week but have failed Sad Does anyone else know anything about parking in Soll?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi,
Driving down is all pretty straightforward. We use the tunnel and get a train early on Fri morning, then drive via Brussels, Aachen, Koln, Frankfurt, Wurzburg, Nurnburg and stop overnight north of Munchen. This is around 8.5 hours drive, then its just a couple of hours down to the Ski Welt on Sat morning. Theres several other routes and I think they are probably of a muchness, you can head down through Belgium and Luxembourg into Germany, then to Munich via Stuttgart, or thru France to Strasbourg, then Stuttgart etc (but theres French tolls to pay this way)Make sure to come off the Innsbruck motorway at Kufstein nord and take the back road into Kufstein to avoid needing an Austrian motorway vignette. You dont need to stop over, its quite do-able in one hit, then you could drive overnight if you wanted - roads are pretty quiet then.
You'll need a few bits and pieces - warning triangle, hazard jackets etc - theres a list on the AA website. Theres a lot of discussion about chains and winter tyres. Theres a few threads about winter tyres - we chose to get them and we carry chains.
Theres loads of advice if you search around
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
blondends, can't help with the parking but as others have said the Ski Welt resorts on the Lofer road are very very easy to drive to - no mountain passes or hairpin bends to wory about
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hope this helps. Was thinking of driving myself next season with chains only. But from what I have found out winter tyres are now compulsory.

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travelling-and-living-overseas/travel-advice-by-country/europe/austria

Road Travel in Winter (1 November-15 April)

New legislation, which comes into force on 1 January 2008, demands that all vehicles with up to 3.5 tonnes laden weight use winter tyres on all wheels in wintery road conditions (snow, slush, ice). Snow chains on the driving wheels will only be allowed as an alternative where the road is fully covered by snow and/or ice and the road surface will not be damaged by the chains. Chains or summer tyres will not be allowed for slush conditions. Heavy fines or temporary loss of vehicle may be imposed on those who ignore this legislation.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
stortfordhal, thats an expense that I wasn't allowing for - winter tyres. Honestly, what are the chances of being stopped and checked? I am happy to carry chains but buying 4 winter tyres has got to cost! Puzzled
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
blondends, it's probably not a case of being stopped and checked. If conditions are bad, you will be spotted a mile off....and if you are involved in an accident (even if it is not your fault)........ Confused
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I really don't like that legislation from the Austrians..I just think practically it's going to be difficult to make happend

Can we even buy winter tyres over here? Does this mean they'll now be a bunch of tyre places opening up by the boarder ready to stick winter tyres on poor unsuspecting brits cross the boarder to drive to their Austrian resort? It does seem strange that a car that it perfectly road-legal in the UK should be forced to pay £500 (say) prior to it being able to be driven in Austria. Whatever happened to free movement of goods etc. OK so we need additional bulbs, reflective jackets, documents (all things that we don't need in the UK) but that's getting a bit excessisve.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
bertie bassett, you can buy winter tyres in most garages in the UK, and they will improve your performance should we get snow here. Many Scots use them every year.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Reflective jacket cost me 1.50 - at that price, it's worth having, regardless of what UK law says.
Bulbs are law in many EU countries, and you can argue are required in UK too (driving with a defective light is an offence, and iirc states nothing about day/night, so if a bulb blows you have to break road traffic laws to replace it, or go into town on the bus).
All-weather tyres are law in Germany too. I've driven in snow on my Pirelli summer performance tyres, and I can officially say they are a nightmare, especially when the brake sensor switch broke and the ESP / ABS / etc. all decided to have a mind of its own on an off camber downhill central reservation to turn across the traffic. And driving up the ramp on to the top floor of the multistorey was... erm... interesting.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
bertie bassett wrote:
I really don't like that legislation from the Austrians..I just think practically it's going to be difficult to make happend

Can we even buy winter tyres over here? Does this mean they'll now be a bunch of tyre places opening up by the boarder ready to stick winter tyres on poor unsuspecting brits cross the boarder to drive to their Austrian resort? It does seem strange that a car that it perfectly road-legal in the UK should be forced to pay £500 (say) prior to it being able to be driven in Austria. Whatever happened to free movement of goods etc. OK so we need additional bulbs, reflective jackets, documents (all things that we don't need in the UK) but that's getting a bit excessisve.

Your car will be perfectly "road legal" in Austria without Winter tyres.

You just won't be permitted to drive it in slushy or icy conditions. Or in full snow conditions unless you have chains.

And TBH, it is probably not a very good idea to be driving in those conditions without them, particularly when everybody else will have them.

These regulations have bee brouhgt in as a result of several major pile ups in wintry conditions in the last few years.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
blondends, I'm pretty sure you will be able to park at the back of the Hotel Austria, but if not there is a free public car park within 200 mtrs
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have done 15 seasons in Soll, so I can say DO go via Brussels, Aachen, Koln, Frankfurt, Wurzburg, Nurnburg. DO NOT GO VIA Heidelburg, Stuttgart (as advised by the Sat-Nav).
For the first 7 years I had summer tyres & chains and only used the chains once. But the one time you need them - you really need them. The valley floor is very level and driving is easy, but it is a good idea to park up for the week. I found winter tyres online and a s/h set of rims on e-bay. But if it were me going for a single holiday, I would not buy winter tyres especially, unless it is indeed illegal not to have them. If you are cought in snow on the way there, after leaving the motorway at Kufstein, drive towards Worgl on the B road, and then turn left at the main A road to Soll.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy